Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Head Question

Old 09-27-2016, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New Head Question

I'm in the process of replacing my 0331 head. I received one from the Clearwater/Odessa Cylinder Head in short order, however it has sand (I think from sand blasting) pretty much everywhere. It's in all of the ports, cooling and oil passages as well as around the valves and combustion chambers. I called a friend and he said there's no way to get all of the sand out myself. He said I would need it professionally cleaned.

Odessa charges a 20% fee for returns, so I want to know my options. Kinda pissed that my $500 purchase is dirty. No way that this thing is going to be installed as is. What are your thoughts?
Old 09-27-2016, 09:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2004 WJ, 1998 XJ
Model: Grand Cherokee(WJ)
Engine: 4.7 HO

You didn't mention it in your post but did you call the company and tell them what is going on?
Old 09-27-2016, 09:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998

It could be sand left over from casting the head. I would get some industrial pipe cleaners and wire brushes and clean out the water jacket as best as you can. As far as the intake and exhaust ports you take some small wire brushes and clean them out too. See if there is a local shop that might let you use there parts washer tank and soak the head to remove the loose sand. Then hit it with some compressed air to blow it all out.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:53 AM

it's likely not from blasting... it's more likely from the casting process which uses something close enough to sand to just be called sand....

i run a 6.4L PSD, and they are notorious for the casting remnants... to the point a coolant filter is introduced in effort to keep the stuff from clogging coolant-to-oil coolers buried in the valley of that thing..... that sand can be a problem...

but you're not in that predicament. it's pretty straight forward to remove it. if you don't get it all, it own't be there very long anyway so long as it's not on the mating surfaces.... just blow if off- then in a clean environment, hit the head with a can of brake cleaner, let it dry completely and blow it off again (compressed air)...

it's not that big a deal. i don't think i've ever installed a NEW head that didn't have some of the stuff here and there- with exception of the 0331 i just put on- but that is likely because i purchased it from a member here who already cleaned it.
Old 09-27-2016, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by dans98xj
It could be sand left over from casting the head. I would get some industrial pipe cleaners and wire brushes and clean out the water jacket as best as you can. As far as the intake and exhaust ports you take some small wire brushes and clean them out too. See if there is a local shop that might let you use there parts washer tank and soak the head to remove the loose sand. Then hit it with some compressed air to blow it all out.
you ninja'd me.... you dang ninja...
Old 09-27-2016, 10:20 AM

Alright, I figured it was from the casting process. I'm just a little worried about putting sand into my engine. I'll clean it best I can but I just don't want to hurt the internal components.

Will brake cleaner affect any of the valve work that is currently there?

Last edited by fijicorey25; 09-27-2016 at 10:26 AM.
Old 09-27-2016, 10:33 AM

it may not be nice to valve seals.....

another option is to carry it to a radiator shop and let them hot dip it in their treatment tank.... it would be especially good if they have an ultrasonic dip tank, which some do in effort to get stubborn radiators clean.... wanna know what clings to radiators innards like nobodies business? casting sand....
Old 09-27-2016, 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by rgr4475
You didn't mention it in your post but did you call the company and tell them what is going on?
I did yes, sorry I should have mentioned that. He just said to "Clean it up real good."

I'm having a local machine shop inspect this thing before I reinstall everything. It's cheap insurance with everything considered.
Old 09-28-2016, 02:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would call the company you bought it from see what they say first.If they don't fix the problem i would take it to a local machine shop they can hot tank it and wash all the sand out of it.