Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New fuel pump but no fuel for 1992 cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2017, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default New fuel pump but no fuel for 1992 cherokee

I got 1992 jeep cherokee laredo. Running great then simply died. Discovered no fuel pressure. So I replaced fuel pump and enjoyed another 6 days of driving and jeep died again and again no fuel pressure so I got replacement pump and won't start. When I turn key on I can hear pump prime. I also replaced the electrical part under the distributor and also the magnetic part by the fly wheel. All my fuses are good. I simply love this jeep. It was given to me by my dad who has become extremely ill so that way I can go and help care for him. Can anyone help me and sorry about not remembering what the two other parts were called
Old 03-09-2017, 06:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Gas in tank ? Is fuel spaying out of test port on fuel rail ? Getting spark ?

Last edited by freegdr; 03-09-2017 at 06:26 AM.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:23 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 1999

Sounds like your ballast resistor took a crap. When you turn the key on, it will allow the pump to spool and it will provide 12 volts of power when you first get it started, but just after that, it's supposed to knock the power down to about 9 volts to make the pump run quieter. Over time, the resistor breaks down until what you're describing happens.

Click for full res

You can make a "jumper" out of a short piece of wire and two male spade terminals to test it. unplug the two wire ends from the resistor, plug the wire into the jumper and see what happens. If it fixes it, then you can either just leave in the jumper or clip the two ends off and splice 'em together with a crimp connector or better yet solder and heat shrink tube.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
yes I had a ful, tank of gas. No fuel spraying out of test port and finally yes on getting spark.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by Basslicks
Sounds like your ballast resistor took a crap. When you turn the key on, it will allow the pump to spool and it will provide 12 volts of power when you first get it started, but just after that, it's supposed to knock the power down to about 9 volts to make the pump run quieter. Over time, the resistor breaks down until what you're describing happens.

Click for full res

You can make a "jumper" out of a short piece of wire and two male spade terminals to test it. unplug the two wire ends from the resistor, plug the wire into the jumper and see what happens. If it fixes it, then you can either just leave in the jumper or clip the two ends off and splice 'em together with a crimp connector or better yet solder and heat shrink tube.
thank so very much for your I sight. I will head out and buy one. Let's hope. I just love this vehicle
Old 03-09-2017, 09:44 AM
No, I don't lick fish.

Originally Posted by Chad Ross
thank so very much for your I sight. I will head out and buy one. Let's hope. I just love this vehicle
Don't waste your money on buying one. The aftermarket units have been known to be bad right out of the box and the ones that aren't don't last long. You don't need the ballast resistor though. All it does is quiet down the fuel pump. I've been running without the ballast resistor for a few months now. I barely notice the noise and I have no carpet in my Jeep.
Old 03-09-2017, 06:49 PM
CF Veteran

yes I had a ful, tank of gas. No fuel spraying out of test port and finally yes on getting spark.
Did ya replace the filter when pump was changed. You stated pump primes. No pressure indicates plugged filter or bad pump.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:48 PM

Did ya replace the filter when pump was changed. You stated pump primes. No pressure indicates plugged filter or bad pump.
yes sir I did. I went as far to look into the tank with a mirror and flash light and surprisingly clean tank. I called local auto shop and old boy made me feel stupid so I am going to get it in somewhere. I have replaced fuel filter 2 fuel pumps replaced injector hose two other costly parts but come to find out they both were for ignition. Well I just didn't know. It can't be the register because pump primes. Thank you all for your insight. God Bless You All
Old 03-10-2017, 08:31 AM
CF Veteran

yes sir I did. I went as far to look into the tank with a mirror and flash light and surprisingly clean tank. I called local auto shop and old boy made me feel stupid so I am going to get it in somewhere. I have replaced fuel filter 2 fuel pumps replaced injector hose two other costly parts but come to find out they both were for ignition. Well I just didn't know. It can't be the register because pump primes. Thank you all for your insight. God Bless You All
Pump prime but does fuel come out of hose to filter. Id remove hose from filter and aim it into a container have some one turn key see if fuel comes out if not replace pump with different brand.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:29 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

You mean the resistor? The pump will still prime even if the resistor is bad. The fuel pump circuit bypasses that until a couple seconds after the motor starts. You'll hear it prime, and the motor will start with a bad ballast resistor, but as soon as the ECU verifies it's running, it closes the circuit to the resistor and, if it's bad, your motor will either run very poorly or just die altogether.