Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need parts advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2014, 02:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need parts advice

I've decided to go ahead and install a remote start and unlock thingy on the old 96 XJ. All I'm concerned about is remote start, lock and unlocking so the simplest of systems would do fine. 2-way preferred though. Anyone who knows these things better than I have a suggestion as to what would do the job for me? The Viper 2-way LED looks ok although I've heard complaints about shoddy customer service and overly sensitive buttons on their fobs.

Other piece I need a suggestion for is for new door lock actuators. No experience at all replacing these so I'm all ears as to a good OE replacement part.
Old 11-28-2014, 04:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L i6

I've installed a viper on my XJ. It's the two way remote one with an kinda LCD screen. I know I has the options for remote start, power locks, power door release/trunk release and much more. But those are all extras you have to buy unless your XJ comes with it preinstalled/has the parts that can be hooked into. Installation is FREE on all Viper car alarms from an authorized dealer. Say if you didn't have the actuators for the power locks those would be need to be paid for, etc.

Only things I'm a little unhappy with it are:
1 - when freezing out the sensor on the widow is way to sensitive and randomly goes off for no reason (warning chirp).
2 - one of the lev fob buttons is starting to go out. Looks like I might have to spend $100+ on a new key fob remote.

But other than that I love it and am happy with it. You can even buy a year service so you can monitor it via your iphone with an app.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Any advice on where to get good lock actuators? Should I just go for whatever's at NAPA? Crown stuff ok?
Old 12-05-2014, 01:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L i6

Originally Posted by bradleyheathhays
Any advice on where to get good lock actuators? Should I just go for whatever's at NAPA? Crown stuff ok?
I would just check eBay, CL, etc for the best deal. There not that expensive and if it goes out easy enough to replace. Hell might even get away with some junk yard parts for cheap. As far as I'm aware they are universal actuators and can be installed into any car so shouldn't matter as to the brand or make they are taken off of.