Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

In need of an interior decorator

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5
Default In need of an interior decorator

Hey guys-

New to the forum. Just picked up a 98 XJ a week ago, and I cant wait to get wrenching. Picked the Jeep up from a guy who was just using it as a work truck, and for some bizarre reason he took out 100% of the trim inside. Dunno why the hell he did that, but now I got a blank slate to work with. Anyone got some suggestions or experience with customizing the interior?

Since he took out the radio and the speakers, I was thinking of putting in a new stereo and door speakers, and then doing a speaker bar over the back seat. Is there some material I can stick to the ceiling without making it look crappy or tacky? I'm open to all ideas. get creative.
Old 04-01-2015, 10:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

You need to go to the junkyard and start pulling the trim out of a beater to put in yours...and a headliner board. You could paint the trim whatever color you want and you can put a fabric of your choice on the headboard.

Search Youtube for headliner fixing. Bleepinjeep has a good one...

It is your Jeep, and it will be you doing the creation....unless you pay a shop to do it. Finer car audio shops can help you if you got the $ to pay them...
Old 04-01-2015, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those doors dont belong on a 98. I would grab some doors off a 97+ while your there. It gives you the proper door panel and a single piece window.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by tlang
Those doors dont belong on a 98. I would grab some doors off a 97+ while your there. It gives you the proper door panel and a single piece window.
Good eye!
Old 04-02-2015, 03:47 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by moparchero
Hey guys- New to the forum. Just picked up a 98 XJ a week ago, and I cant wait to get wrenching. Picked the Jeep up from a guy who was just using it as a work truck, and for some bizarre reason he took out 100% of the trim inside. Dunno why the hell he did that, but now I got a blank slate to work with. Anyone got some suggestions or experience with customizing the interior? Since he took out the radio and the speakers, I was thinking of putting in a new stereo and door speakers, and then doing a speaker bar over the back seat. Is there some material I can stick to the ceiling without making it look crappy or tacky? I'm open to all ideas. get creative.
for the headliner you really just need the fiberglass board the material is cheap and they sell the spray adhesive at the auto parts store. That's where Id start.
Old 04-02-2015, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by BurtonBiggie
for the headliner you really just need the fiberglass board the material is cheap and they sell the spray adhesive at the auto parts store. That's where Id start.
Thats the best idea. Replacing all the side trims, paint them whatever color I choose, and picking a custom fabric for the fiberglass on top. I saw someone post realtree camo, and that looked pretty badass. Anyone have other patterns to show off?
Old 04-02-2015, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by tlang
Whats different about the doors on a 98? and what did they come off of?
Old 04-02-2015, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by moparchero
Whats different about the doors on a 98? and what did they come off of?
The pre '97 had split windows like yours and the trim is different. There is another difference...the latch is in a different spot. You will likely need to relocate the striker bar in the door jamb if you put the proper doors on.

I suggested getting the headboard from the JY because you would be right there while getting the trim parts.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:48 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0L I6

I replaced my overhead console in real tree camo a while back can't seem to find a picture at the moment.