Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need Help Fast..Harmonic Balancer

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 04:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Rebuilt 4.0L
Exclamation Need Help Fast..Harmonic Balancer

Ok guys, i've got a problem. My harmonic balancer bolt doesn't fit in the crankshaft anymore! It's the same bolt (checked, double checked, and triple checked!) but it's magically too big now that i've replaced the harmonic balancer! I know it's 1/2 inch diameter bolt, but both the HB installer bolt and original bolt don't fit in anymore!! I need some ideas, fast, or the Jeep gets pushed out to the yard and i'm stuck working in gravel!

Last edited by OverlandZJ; 05-22-2010 at 05:46 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

then the hole in the balancer for the bolt is smaller........
Old 05-22-2010, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

You may have stripped the threads with the installer bolt, giving you the impression the bolt is too big?

Please try to give a descriptive title in your thread's.... it does nothing for someone searching for info in a search the way it was.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: Rebuilt 4.0L

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
You may have stripped the threads with the installer bolt, giving you the impression the bolt is too big?

Please try to give a descriptive title in your thread's.... it does nothing for someone searching for info in a search the way it was.
Sorry, my first priority isn't exactly having a good title on my thread when I'm in a pickle. Next time I'll be sure to put all the info in the title, it'll look something like "88 xj Laredo 4x4 4.0l, auto, 167k, black, 4 door, 4 inch superlift, need help with stubborn center bolt in harmonic balancer, will not fit in crank after use of autozone installer tool number 27144, original bolt seems too large after partial use of install tool which crapped out halfway through install. Also, has small coolant leak."

Also, I should specify that the bolt, not the hole, seems too big. It goes through the new balancer, but not the crank. I know it goes through the balancer hole because I marked where it stops going in on the center bolt. I'm just going to take it to the jeep dealerhip in town monday now. I've been without it for almost a month from different problems cropping up.
Old 05-23-2010, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94

Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ88
Sorry, my first priority isn't exactly having a good title on my thread when I'm in a pickle. Next time I'll be sure to put all the info in the title, it'll look something like "88 xj Laredo 4x4 4.0l, auto, 167k, black, 4 door, 4 inch superlift, need help with stubborn center bolt in harmonic balancer, will not fit in crank after use of autozone installer tool number 27144, original bolt seems too large after partial use of install tool which crapped out halfway through install. Also, has small coolant leak."

Also, I should specify that the bolt, not the hole, seems too big. It goes through the new balancer, but not the crank. I know it goes through the balancer hole because I marked where it stops going in on the center bolt. I'm just going to take it to the jeep dealerhip in town monday now. I've been without it for almost a month from different problems cropping up.

Well i guess you straightened me out. Sorry to be a burden on your valuable time.... carry on.

Now, where did i leave that ignore list for toolbags.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:36 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by ColoradoXJ88

move along. please leave.
Old 05-23-2010, 11:48 PM

Year: 96

way to go overlandxj. I was reading his reply and thinking this is the wrong person to be an smarta** to dude. nice padded answer.