Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

My jeep shuts off while driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L high output with compressed valves
Unhappy My jeep shuts off while driving

When i am just driving down the road going like 25 or 30 or in any speed my engine just STOPS its an automatic. The power stays on but the engine goes silent and then i have to turn the key over again for it to start back up! and sometimes when i start it back up it just clicks and wont start like its flooded or something. WTF!?!?! Its a cherokee laredo 91
Old 02-01-2010, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Straigh 6

alternator??
Old 02-01-2010, 01:31 PM
CF Veteran

i would think its ur battery or alternator. but if you get it started and then it shuts off it because ur cars not staying charged. if u cant start it and it clicks its ur battery
Old 02-01-2010, 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by x91j
i would think its ur battery or alternator. but if you get it started and then it shuts off it because ur cars not staying charged. if u cant start it and it clicks its ur battery
That might be it. When its night and i put on my brights they work super well then they just get super dim. ANd when the car shuts off and its in drive when i try to start it again it is like starting the car normaly only it wont start. It is as if it is flooded and to get it started again i had to press on the gas over and over and over and faster an faster until i finally hear the engine fire up.
Old 02-01-2010, 01:44 PM
CF Veteran

if u can make it to an autozone they can run free tests on ur bat and alternator
Old 02-01-2010, 02:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 88 limited
Engine: 4.0

Can you tell us if the engine is turning over when tryin to restart the engine,or is it just clicking like a dead battery,it will help every one help you better
Old 02-01-2010, 03:07 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

It could also be your CPS (crank position sensor) on the bellhousing, if it stalls then starts right up its probably the CPS. Do a search on this forum and you should find it.
Here is a link http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoCPSchange.htm

Last edited by TrekkerJmm; 02-01-2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by je4reyk
Can you tell us if the engine is turning over when tryin to restart the engine,or is it just clicking like a dead battery,it will help every one help you better
Its turning over. not clicking like the battery is dead.
Old 02-01-2010, 03:30 PM
"CF Moderator"

Originally Posted by goblinish15
Its turning over. not clicking like the battery is dead.
Then it cant be the battery or starter...Tj
Old 02-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

Sounds like CPS to me then. I just dealt with random stalling on my 94 that sounded very much like the symptoms you're having. Replaced CPS, and it hasn't stalled since.

It's a bit of a pain to get to though. I recommend about 14" of extensions. A swivel socket *might* help too. Then you can get to it from underneath, along the driver's side of the bellhousing.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: Inline 6 4.0L

clicking, sounds like a starter or selenoid issue caused by something else. your jeep obviously wouldnt shut off because of a starter issue after already being started, it doesnt sound like alternator because he still has power in the cab but still get it tested. I dont have experience with the CPS but those symptoms dont describe battery and alternator and starter

O Man I just thought of something, check your battery cables for corrosion, I just had to do this this past winter. mine corroded between the end of the rubber coating and the metal batter terminal adaptor on the cables. I would go to start my jeep and it would click once and I would loose all power to domes and gauges and all. I would have to pull off the adaptor off the terminal and put it back on and then try and restart it. I know these symptoms sound different but the cable corrosion creates havoc because ot leads dirrectly into the fuse block and then to the computer and it it has crappy conduction it trips different sensors for protection
Old 02-12-2010, 01:24 PM

IT WAS THE FUEL FILTER!!! imma drivin with no shut downs now! haha smooth sailin now
Old 02-13-2010, 09:43 AM

Engine: 4.0l

Hey i had the same problem with my 89 i went couple blocks and it died out probly 15 times i tried to figure it out and replece parts still nothing i took it to the shop it was my throttle sensor try that clean it(or buy a new one) that should be the problem.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:15 AM
"CF Moderator"

Originally Posted by goblinish15
IT WAS THE FUEL FILTER!!! imma drivin with no shut downs now! haha smooth sailin now
KOOL ...Tj
Old 10-07-2013, 01:12 PM

NoNO!!. LOOK FELLOW JEEP LOVERS LIKE ME.
I HAD AN ISSUE ON MY JEEPS."JEEPS". IT USE TO SHUTT OF ON ME IDLE LOW AND TURN OFF. AT STOP LIGHTS,OR JUST COMMING TO A YIELD.. I WASTED SO MUCH MONEY TRY TO FIND THE SOLUTION.. FUSTRATED..CHANGED PLUGS SENSORS PARTS..EVERYTHING EVEN GOT IT TESTED IN A CERTIFIED JEEP DEALER.. THEY DIDNT EVEN COME TO A ANSWER..
BUT BUTT I FOUND THE SOLITION TO UR FUSTRATION I KNOW IM NOT THE ONLY ONE.ITS NOT THAT IM TRYING TO GET RICH.. JUST TRYING TO GET BACK EVERYTHING I WASTED AND SAVE U TIM AND MONEY CUZZ BELEIVE ME ITS EXPENSIVE AN TIME CONSUMING.. 100DLS AND I WILL E-MAIL U THE ANSWERTO UR PROBLEM. HAVE A GREAT DAY AND GOOD LUCK FINDING THE PROBLEM..ANYTHING THAT THEY TOLD U IT MIGHT B ITS NOT.. IVE DONE IT ALL..

Quick Reply: My jeep shuts off while driving