Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

my cb is draining my battery.

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O.
Default my cb is draining my battery.

I have the power ran to the fuse panel in the passengers side hooked into where the cigarette lighter fuse is. Any thing i can do to make this stop killing my battery. OR any other places to hook it up to?

Ps: i have my positive wire fused before it goes into the fuse panel.

Last edited by xj_john; 06-04-2009 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:25 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 L V8

I know with my 98 Cherokee I had my satelite radio plugged into the cigarette lighter and when I shut of the ignition the radio would stay on...I just plugged it into the other 12v plug beside the lighter and it would shut off when I turned off the key...other than that you might just unplug it each time you shut off the key...sorry, I meant try running the power to the 12v auxillary fuse instead of the lighter fuse...for some reason the lighter has constant power going to it even with the key off...but the 12 plug turns on and off with the key

Last edited by coldfusion73; 06-04-2009 at 01:30 PM.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by coldfusion73
I know with my 98 Cherokee I had my satelite radio plugged into the cigarette lighter and when I shut of the ignition the radio would stay on...I just plugged it into the other 12v plug beside the lighter and it would shut off when I turned off the key...other than that you might just unplug it each time you shut off the key...sorry, I meant try running the power to the 12v auxillary fuse instead of the lighter fuse...for some reason the lighter has constant power going to it even with the key off...but the 12 plug turns on and off with the key
Thanks man.
Old 06-04-2009, 01:43 PM

Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 L V8

actually now that I think of it I may have mixed up the two...I can't remember now if it was the 12v that had constant power to it...sorry man may have mislead you...if that's the case I can't think of any other place to hook it up at this time
Old 06-04-2009, 01:45 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

ok, 2 options.

#1 keep the CB hooked to your cig lighter, but run a switch after power to your CB. This way you can turn the switch off until you need power to your CB. Not the best because many people forget to turn the switch off.

#2 Switch where your CB gets power, Plug it into your fuse block in a keyed power. So when key is on you have power but key off you don't = no wasted power, no dead battery.

#2 is the best option, if you dont have a book to see which of the fuse block powers are keyed power, get a multimeter or a simple light tester, plug the ground into ground or hook it to the door jam nut. Than take the positive lead to a fuse place on the fuse block, if the key is off and you get power/light that is not a keyed power. If you get power/light only when the key is in the "on" position than that is the one you want.

CB's dont take alot of power, use the recomended fuse size for your CB, or if that is unknown then start with a 5amp and use the CB, if it blows go 10amp, I don't think *** My opinion *** there is a CB that uses bigger than a 10amp.

Hope this helps and goodluck also post up pics of where you mounted the CB
Old 06-04-2009, 01:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Or...

Option 3: Mixed Option 1 and Option 2 and have a switch to select between constant power and switched power. Leave it in Switched power setting unless the vehicle is off and you need to use it. You flip to constant power.
This is my plan.... eventually.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by PNWJeep
ok, 2 options.

#1 keep the CB hooked to your cig lighter, but run a switch after power to your CB. This way you can turn the switch off until you need power to your CB. Not the best because many people forget to turn the switch off.

#2 Switch where your CB gets power, Plug it into your fuse block in a keyed power. So when key is on you have power but key off you don't = no wasted power, no dead battery.

#2 is the best option, if you dont have a book to see which of the fuse block powers are keyed power, get a multimeter or a simple light tester, plug the ground into ground or hook it to the door jam nut. Than take the positive lead to a fuse place on the fuse block, if the key is off and you get power/light that is not a keyed power. If you get power/light only when the key is in the "on" position than that is the one you want.

CB's dont take alot of power, use the recomended fuse size for your CB, or if that is unknown then start with a 5amp and use the CB, if it blows go 10amp, I don't think *** My opinion *** there is a CB that uses bigger than a 10amp.

Hope this helps and goodluck also post up pics of where you mounted the CB

Old picture when i was still working on installing alot of things. Kinda messy but you can see where its mounted i love it there.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:32 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L

I think I need to make a post about cb mounts I drive a 5spd XJ and I'm sure it works great there for autos, but that placement would drive me crazy. Looks good and in no way am I bashing your install. Clean and you like it = great job
Old 06-05-2009, 10:48 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5L

Originally Posted by PNWJeep
I think I need to make a post about cb mounts I drive a 5spd XJ and I'm sure it works great there for autos, but that placement would drive me crazy. Looks good and in no way am I bashing your install. Clean and you like it = great job
Just curious why that placement would drive you crazy?
Mines a 5 speed and my cb is mounted there.. No problems except i keep the mic cord draped over the top of the cb when not in use. I dont like it touching my leg especially when wearing shorts (feels like bugs crawlin on my leg when it brushes against me).

As for the original post, i just have mine wired to constant power in the fuse box with an in-line fuse. I just make sure to shut it off when i turn the engine off. No problems with battery draining. If i ever fix my ignition switch so that i have an accessory position, then i'll hook it up to a switched power source (I like to use mine with the engine off sometimes).

Is yours draining the battery even if the cb is turned off?

Last edited by CrazyTJ01; 06-05-2009 at 10:56 PM.
Old 06-06-2009, 04:52 PM

i would recommend a switch, simple and quick.....
Old 06-06-2009, 07:12 PM

Finally figured it out i hooked the positive wire to the fuse panel where it says radio. Now i don't have any power to my cb until the key is turned on. (which is what i like.) Thanks for the help every one