Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Is it my alternator?

Old 08-29-2016, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Is it my alternator?

I haven't had my 94 Cherokee for to long but I been having problems with my alternator not charging I've had it tested and it test fine and my battery is good but for some reason when I crank it up an drive it doesn't always charge. Has anyone else had this problem?
Old 08-29-2016, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

What have you done for diagnosing your problem?
Old 08-29-2016, 02:35 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

We can't read your mind. We need more information.

Originally Posted by Michael Lewis
I've had it tested and it test fine and my battery is good but for some reason when I crank it up an drive it doesn't always charge.
When you say "it doesn't always charge," do you mean the gauge is showing it not charging while you're driving it, or that the battery is dead the next time you try to start it (or something else)? How did you test the alternator?

Also, how do you know your battery is good? How did you test it? What brand is it, and how old?

Have you cleaned the crap off your battery connections?
Old 08-29-2016, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by extrashaky

When you say "it doesn't always charge," do you mean the gauge is showing it not charging while you're driving it, or that the battery is dead the next time you try to start it (or something else)? How did you test the alternator?

Also, how do you know your battery is good? How did you test it? What brand is it, and how old?

When I crank it up the gauge shows its not charging and then after running for awhile it'll shot up to about 14 volts on the gauge and start charging on its on, I'm no mechanic that's the best I can explain it
Old 08-29-2016, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by extrashaky

When you say "it doesn't always charge," do you mean the gauge is showing it not charging while you're driving it, or that the battery is dead the next time you try to start it (or something else)? How did you test the

I purchased the battery from walmart and took it there to see if it was a dead cell they charged the battery and said it was fine. The gauge is saying it's not charging and I took the Jeep to auto zone and had the alternator checked. the battery terminals are fine

Last edited by Michael Lewis; 08-29-2016 at 04:20 PM.
Old 08-29-2016, 04:24 PM

check your connections at the battery, at the alternator, and at the computer. it sounds like a simple wonky connection, but could also be bad regulator... i'm just starting to twirl wrenches on these XJ's, but most rigs post '96 regulate at the computer, which senses voltage from the battery and allows proper charge past it to the battery if'n it needs charging.. 14~14.5vdc charges a battery, 13.5~14vdc holds/tends a battery, and 12.6 and below is a battery providing all the juice (six cells of 2.1vdc per cell x 6 cells)... if you're below 12.6, not only is the alternator not charging (if there is nothing wrong with the battery), but the battery is in the process of releasing the ghost, too.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:28 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

are you only relying on the dash gauge?

Try using a multi-meter at the battery to verify your gauge readings and report back.
Old 08-29-2016, 06:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Originally Posted by dac612
are you only relying on the dash gauge?

Try using a multi-meter at the battery to verify your gauge readings and report back.
Exactly, need to figure out if it's just the gauge malfunctioning. Might want to monitor your batt voltage with a multimeter while you run and drive it.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by Michael Lewis
When I crank it up the gauge shows its not charging and then after running for awhile it'll shot up to about 14 volts on the gauge and start charging on its on, I'm no mechanic that's the best I can explain it

One does not need to be a trained mechanic in order to explain what he sees, or what he has done.

This ^ explanation of what you see is much better than your first attempt.

Now, add some more detail. How low is it before it shoots up (approximately) and what's "a while"? How long, and is it consistent?
Old 08-31-2016, 08:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

If it keeps the battery charged it must be in good shape or it would be dead in a few days. Many people when checking the cables it's only the ones on the battery. You need to check the one to the alt. and then clean with a wire brush the ground spots by removing the bolts and cleaning to bare metal the connector and the metal to which it connects. Do this for all grounds in the engine including the one from block/head to ground.

This is always the best place to start and one that should be done every year or 2 to avoid any problems. I see many cars/trucks/SUV's older ones where it has never been done and have an issue with the electrical.