Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Missing piece/ rough idle

Old 02-03-2016, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Missing piece/ rough idle

Hey all, I'm new to the Cherokee Forum. Have always owned the Wrangler up until now.

I bought a 1994 XJ this weekend and I'm having a couple of issues:

On the first picture, it looks like I'm missing something that screws onto the fuel rail? I'm thinking that because the threaded piece looks a little bit cleaner and shinier than things around it, almost as if something happens read it on there for a large portion of the jeeps life.

Secondly, there is a taped up valve on top of the valve cover. I'm assuming it is a PCV valve or something. The Jeep idles really rough, so I'm thinking a vacuum leak. Once you give it some gas and start driving, there's no issues whatsoever.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Threaded piece in the middle, with what looks like maybe a little pin in the middle of it as well.

The seal around whatever this is looks pretty brittle and cracked as well.

This is just a picture of the XJ. Excited to own one
Old 02-03-2016, 10:22 AM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

no, you're not missing a piece, that there is a pressure test port.
the taped up thing on the valve cover is for the pcv system. supposed to relieve pressure from the crank case.
Old 02-03-2016, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mendax13
no, you're not missing a piece, that there is a pressure test port.
the taped up thing on the valve cover is for the pcv system. supposed to relieve pressure from the crank case.
Ok, so if the seal around it is cracked, could it cause it to have a rough idle? It never actually cuts off, just runs pretty rough.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Here's a vacuum system diagram and CCV system data for the 94 XJ, 4.0.

Name:  94%20%20vacuum%20routing.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  635.1 KB

Name:  94%20CCV%20System.jpg
Views: 94
Size:  3.21 MB

You'll need a new fixed orifice fitting and grommet for the valve cover and the plastic tube that goes from the CCV fitting to the intake. You can get the fixed orifice fitting and grommet from the auto parts stores but I don't know about the plastic tube.

That fuel pressure test port on the fuel rail should have a cap on it. Check the junk yards for one.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by MrTurtle
Hey all, I'm new to the Cherokee Forum. Have always owned the Wrangler up until now. I bought a 1994 XJ this weekend and I'm having a couple of issues: On the first picture, it looks like I'm missing something that screws onto the fuel rail? I'm thinking that because the threaded piece looks a little bit cleaner and shinier than things around it, almost as if something happens read it on there for a large portion of the jeeps life. Secondly, there is a taped up valve on top of the valve cover. I'm assuming it is a PCV valve or something. The Jeep idles really rough, so I'm thinking a vacuum leak. Once you give it some gas and start driving, there's no issues whatsoever. Thanks for any help you can give! Threaded piece in the middle, with what looks like maybe a little pin in the middle of it as well. The seal around whatever this is looks pretty brittle and cracked as well. This is just a picture of the XJ. Excited to own one
try cleaning the IAC and throttle body and it should help the rough idle.
Old 02-03-2016, 12:56 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

You need a "PCV Valve Elbow", and "PCV Valve Grommet", and something that looks like a tire cap for your pressure test port.

Replace both grommets and elbows if the grommets are hard and feel like plastic, they are rubber when new.
Old 02-03-2016, 02:50 PM

Ok, I'll start with that. Is there a chance some of the hoses have miniscule cracks in them as well and are causing part of the problem?