Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Metal Scraping Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 07:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default Metal Scraping Noise

Morning folks,

I'm getting a scraping metal noise from my front left wheel when I turn to the right only. At first, I thought maybe my new P/S Pump was going bad, however if I sit still and turn the wheel left/right, no noise. This only happens while moving and I verified yesterday that the noise differentiates with an increase/decrease in vehicle speed while turning. Again, it only does this while turning to the right.

I've replaced all braking hardware around the Jeep in the past year (calipers, pads, rotors, rear disc conversion). Surprisingly, it had just started doing this a little while ago and not immediately. I'm going to pop the front end up and see what I can find. Also, I have a VERY slight pulsing in the brakes when I apply medium pressure to stop. Very very slight, and upon lighter and harder braking, it cannot be felt.

Anyone have any input? Otherwise, no grinding or anything while driving down the road. No sticking brakes. No vibrations.

I'll report what I find/if I find anything when I raise the front end.

Thanks fellas!
Old 05-17-2014, 10:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
Morning folks,

I'm getting a scraping metal noise from my front left wheel when I turn to the right only. At first, I thought maybe my new P/S Pump was going bad, however if I sit still and turn the wheel left/right, no noise. This only happens while moving and I verified yesterday that the noise differentiates with an increase/decrease in vehicle speed while turning. Again, it only does this while turning to the right.

I've replaced all braking hardware around the Jeep in the past year (calipers, pads, rotors, rear disc conversion). Surprisingly, it had just started doing this a little while ago and not immediately. I'm going to pop the front end up and see what I can find. Also, I have a VERY slight pulsing in the brakes when I apply medium pressure to stop. Very very slight, and upon lighter and harder braking, it cannot be felt.

Anyone have any input? Otherwise, no grinding or anything while driving down the road. No sticking brakes. No vibrations.

I'll report what I find/if I find anything when I raise the front end.

Thanks fellas!
When you get it up in the air, verify the brake rotor isn't/hasn't been contacing the brake shield (if you still have them). Of course the vehicle won't be moving and the brakes won't be applied to load the rotor so you may not see contact with the shield.
Old 05-17-2014, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CCKen

When you get it up in the air, verify the brake rotor isn't/hasn't been contacing the brake shield (if you still have them). Of course the vehicle won't be moving and the brakes won't be applied to load the rotor so you may not see contact with the shield.
This is what I am hoping it is. But what also concerns me is this slight vibration in the pedal when applying the brakes at medium pressure/urban speed (10-30 mph). Could it be possible that a rubbing dust shield could contribute to this?

While its in the air I will also turn the wheels to see if there is anything else worth noting. Havent had a chance to today yet.
Old 05-17-2014, 02:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
This is what I am hoping it is. But what also concerns me is this slight vibration in the pedal when applying the brakes at medium pressure/urban speed (10-30 mph). Could it be possible that a rubbing dust shield could contribute to this?

While its in the air I will also turn the wheels to see if there is anything else worth noting. Havent had a chance to today yet.
Have a helper hit the brakes off and on while you turn the tire/wheel assembly and as you look at the brake caliper/rotor for odd movement.

Edit: Brake caliper mount bolts torque is 11 ft./lbs.
Old 04-02-2015, 01:30 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Default same problem

This is the only post i found that is close to whats happening to my '09 cherokee, I see this post was from last year, how did you make out? did you find anything?
Old 04-02-2015, 01:58 AM

I've had similar issues on other vehicles. They were both wheel bearings. Noise changes with engine speed. It's usually the wheel opposite of the direction you are turning. Pressure is placed on the hub and the bearing squeals.
Old 04-02-2015, 08:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

Mine doesn't happen all the time, it just started yesterday while I was parking. It happened while I was parking driving forward, it did it 2 times when I tried to hear where it was coming from. Then I drove for about 20 mins 2x and on the second drive it started while going straight for about 30 seconds and went away. I have a '09 Laredo awd
Old 04-02-2015, 11:05 AM
CF Veteran

My XJ turned out to be the dust shield scraping the rotor. 2 seconds with a flat head and some strategic prying... viola!

My slight pedal pulse is likely the rear pads that were used. Gonna replace them and possibly the rotors all around again with slotted. Lastly, the rear used calipers might get swapped.