Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Making my jeep waterproof. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2010, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default Making my jeep waterproof. Need help

Other then a snorkel and sealing up the distributor cap I have no idea what else is needed. I'm assume making the alt and electronics all water proof but how. Bassically i want to be over to do some water crossings without frying anything
Old 07-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 89
Engine: 4.0

ive had water over the hood multiple times and hydro locked it
so a snorkel is a must but i havnt had problems with the distributor cap although i though i would at first. the cap is nothing special just an autozone cap and rotor.

also i believe there are drain plugs under your feet in the front under the carpet. ill be able to tell you for sure when i pull the carpet out of mine soon.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:16 AM
Registered Users

Year: 1992

you need to water proof your alternator and all the computer controls. good luck! its going to be a nice job trying to find a way to water proof all that
Old 07-19-2010, 11:17 AM

My carpets already out. My floors so rusted I'll be replacing all four floor panels, sticking bedliner on it, and then getting a marine plug for water. Iv seen safari knock offs on eBay for around 150 and I'm wondering on the quality
Old 07-19-2010, 11:18 AM
Registered Users

you also need to find a way to water proof the fuse panel under the hood and the panel under the dash. unless you find a way to water proof all that, having a snorkel would be a complete waste.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Former Sponsor

mine has been in water at least 20 times and my alternator is just fine fuse panels are just fine and so is everything else so the only problem is the air filter so a snorkel isnt a wast imo
Old 07-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by sandaddik2
mine has been in water at least 20 times and my alternator is just fine fuse panels are just fine and so is everything else so the only problem is the air filter so a snorkel isnt a wast imo
really? you alternator which is below the water isnt shot? thats the first thing I would water proof or raise is the alternator. water in alternator is not good.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
really? you alternator which is below the water isnt shot? thats the first thing I would water proof or raise is the alternator. water in alternator is not good.
nope i go down the the river that flow out of the spill way about 5 miles from my house at least 2 times a week and the alternator is just fine. i was worried about the distributor at first but theres been no problems and as long as im moving when water is above the doors then water wont flow inside.
i would be agreeing with you but my experience shows that its not essential,
i do know that it cant be good for my altenator to be under water and it will go out eventually but if you play you pay.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

nope i go down the the river that flow out of the spill way about 5 miles from my house at least 2 times a week and the alternator is just fine. i was worried about the distributor at first but theres been no problems and as long as im moving when water is above the doors then water wont flow inside.
i would be agreeing with you but my experience shows that its not essential,
i do know that it cant be good for my altenator to be under water and it will go out eventually but if you play you pay.

if your alt is in the stock location i have a hard time believing it gets submerged that often.

i took my 93 in the water many times, and i put about 5 new alternators on it over the course of a year.

the dizzy is the least of my worries
Old 07-19-2010, 11:52 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
moving the alt. the the A/C compressor location is a great mod for this, and i highly recommend it for anyone planning to do alot of water fording
Old 07-19-2010, 11:53 AM
Former Sponsor

well believe what you want but im not gonna bs and have the op mess his up if what i was saying isnt true. im not saying its going to last forever but i am saying that it has lasted this long so it can be done but i might have just gotten lucky.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:04 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by N20jeep
if your alt is in the stock location i have a hard time believing it gets submerged that often.

i took my 93 in the water many times, and i put about 5 new alternators on it over the course of a year.

the dizzy is the least of my worries
x2

well believe what you want but im not gonna bs and have the op mess his up if what i was saying isnt true. im not saying its going to last forever but i am saying that it has lasted this long so it can be done but i might have just gotten lucky.
well you are leading him on. you must not submerge it as much as you THINK you do.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:16 PM

I'd rather be safe then sorry haha. What's they best way to water proof that's stuff? I'm assuming spray solving ain't gonna cut it lol
Old 07-19-2010, 12:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999

Don't forget you axle vent tubes, run them into the cab. Put some silicone or rvt on the distributer cap and plug the little vent hole. On my 92 i never did any thing to my alternator. If it gets wet, it drops amps for a bit and will come back. Never had a problem with it ran the same alternator for 2.5 years. I don't know a bout alot of mud or mud-water that may mess it up quicker. Don't forget that an xj will start to float (depending on the amount of people or gear) when the water gets to the top body line and then you may lose traction then your f'ed.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:29 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Sasq40
I'd rather be safe then sorry haha. What's they best way to water proof that's stuff? I'm assuming spray solving ain't gonna cut it lol
well hopefully in the next week or two my dash will be coming out and i will begin waterproofing everything under the dash. so ill take pics and do a little writeup

Quick Reply: Making my jeep waterproof. Need help