Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Maintenance Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2008, 10:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Maintenance Question

Hello everyone,

I am Sarah, and I hardly know anything about cars. I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee Freedom Sport with about 105,000 miles on it. It's in great condition and runs like new.

Please don't hate me because what's done is done but I never took my car in for 30k, 60k or 90k tune-ups. I've always gotten it's oil changed at 3k miles at Jiffy Lube. It got new tires a couple years ago, as well as lots of transmission work a couple years back. When I got my oil changed a few days ago the JL guys said my transmission fluid is black (should be hot pink.) Also, I've noticed the belt has slipped two or three times (that loud annoying noise.)

I've decided to suck it up, take some money out of savings, and get this car whatever "routine" maintenance the poor thing needs.

Here's what's on my list so far:
Transmission flush/fluid change
New spark plugs (my bf recommended this)
Tire rotation
New belt

Please keep in mind, it's not like anything is WRONG with the car. But, it needs to last me a while and I want to keep it in tip-top shape.

My question, what else should I add to this list of maintenance items? I was probably going to have them do it all at JL, b/c they always haggle with me. Is this a bad idea? My bf hates them but then again, he's not paying.
Old 09-19-2008, 10:42 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

First off welcome to the site.

Maintenance... Transmission: do not get a flush unless it has been done before..it could cause issues you don't want. Me I would just do a drain and filter change then top it off.. If it doesn't go back to the straight red as it should do a drain and refill, drive a couple hundred miles then drain and fill and do that as much as needed till it's red not hot pink...Also don't let JF anywhere near your transmission if ya value it..They are ok to do oil changes but I would not let them touch my transmission..

Tuneup just head to a reputable shop not JF and have em do a complete tuneup and change the belt..I'd almost trust Walmart before I would JF to touch my car.. That's just my opinion though and you can get just as good a price at a good shop as you can at JF.
Old 09-19-2008, 12:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

Don't forget a coolant flush and fill. I'm assuming you have the 4.0L and they run hotter than the average vehicle to begin with and have overheating issues if the entire cooling system is not in tip-top shape. And welcome to CF!
Old 09-19-2008, 12:28 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6

might consider changing grease in diffs and checking wheel bearings also
Old 09-19-2008, 12:41 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I6

yeah rear wheel bearings for sure... the fronts are a unit bearing/hub assembly and quite a price to replace...rear can be repacked if not shot..
Old 09-19-2008, 12:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Welcome to our addiction..

If you are changing the spark plugs, you might as well change the wires and the cap and rotor and the surpentine belt.

If you are changing the trans fluid and filter, check the tcase fluid as well...since you are already under there. Could check the axle fluid as also.

This stuff is fairly easy to do and would be good experience if you have someone who knew how to do it show you... or you could wing it on your own with a repair manual.. As I have done many times...
Old 09-19-2008, 01:51 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Welcome to CF you need to heed the advice above and we can help you get another 200,000 miles out of the Cherokee. OKC is exactly right, first don't let JL do the work and secondly NO FLUSH on that transmission. Drain and change the filter and run it a couple hundred miles. Check the color of the fluid and if not the normal red then drain and refill again checking every couple hundred miles until you are satisfied that it is the same red you see when poured from the sealed containers.
Let a shop you trust change the belt. Maybe a airconditioning shop would be good. Have them recheck that belt's tension in about a weeks worth of driving and it will last you a couple of years.
Cooling, now would be a good time to let them dump and flush the cooling system and put in fresh antifreeze. Have them also check and fill the power steering fluids.
I would wait on wheel bearings unless you are having problems.
The same guys can change the differentials fluids too. You never said if it is 4WD or not. If it is then you have two differentials to have the fluids changed in.
This should be a good start to getting you that next 200,000 miles from your Cherokee.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:13 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Welcome!

The 2000 and 2001 don't have a distributor, rotor, cap and button. They have a fuel rail.

Also, all 2000 models came from the factory as 4x4.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tupton
The 2000 and 2001 don't have a distributor, rotor, cap and button.
I knew that...
Old 09-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by tupton
Also, all 2000 models came from the factory as 4x4.
I didn't know that factoid. Thanks Tupton.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:52 PM
CF Veteran

Kansasgirl... let me introduce myself.. My name is Stew.... Stew Padidiot.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:58 PM
Renix Super Guru

I'm his cousin Dan DaFoole
Old 09-19-2008, 08:28 PM

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0

I'm not with them
Old 09-19-2008, 09:09 PM

Kansas girl Frist Get a new Boy friend! If you were my girl I would be taking care of all that for you!! what kinda guy lets his lady trouble her pretty little head with such details change transmission fluid and filter then change Boy friends ! good luck with both!
Old 09-20-2008, 06:52 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

lol, besides people hitting on you, I would do what most of these guys have said, heres a list:
Complete tune up- Plugs, wires, belt, and throw some lucas fuel injection cleaner in your tank before you fill it up next time

change out all fluids, coolant, front and rear differentials, transfer case, transmission (risky), power steering and have all the zert fittings greased (a shop will know)

anyways since you are paying for all of this to be done expect to shell out atleast $600

The reason I say changing the transmission fluid is risky is because once theres a problem internally in your transmission, its not always the best idea to drain and fill the fluid, if your fluid wasnt black then I would say definately go for it. But the fact that it is black means somethings wrong and the viscosity of the oil that the clutches have been used to vs. newer oil is a hell of a lot different, just make sure you know that this could send your tranny to the junkyard faster.

Quick Reply: Maintenance Question