Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

lubricate steering linkage and other maintenance questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:01 PM
N8N

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default lubricate steering linkage and other maintenance questions

OK, real dumb questions time.

'99 Cherokee, bone stock. Just dropped a whole mess of cash on various filters, gaskets, and Redline products to catch up on maintenance/fluid changes. Looking in owner's manual etc. and there's a couple things that I am not sure that I understand.

"lubricate steering linkage" - does this refer to tie rod ends etc. or is there something related to the steering shaft itself that requires lubrication? If the latter, where are the lube points and what product do I use? Couldn't find a thing.

Second dumb question - was thinking of changing the power steering fluid on principle (I have a good suction gun, so I was just going to suck the reservoir empty, refill with fresh fluid, repeat every week or so until it all looks new.) What PS fluid should I use? Manual just says MoPar power steering fluid, do I have to buy it at the dealer or is there a FLAPS/speed shop equivalent?

Finally, if it could be above 40 degrees and not raining this weekend that would help this process immensely. Any help with the weather greatly appreciated.

thanks!
Old 01-20-2012, 03:48 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

If you want to lube steering linkages you'll need a grease gun. If you look under there you'll find grease 'zerks' ..little nipples on the parts that need periodic lubrication. If you don't already have one, get a grease gun with flexible rubber hose. They use tubes of grease like a caulking gun. The type of grease varies with what you are using it on, but you can get multi-use type. Look for the NLGI certification label and look for GC-LB usage/quality. The G means wheel bearing, L means chassis lube. GC-LB = good for both.
Be sure to clean off the zerks, then the grease gun nozzle 'snaps' on it. Keep the nozzle lined up with the zerk and pump the handle. 2 or 3 pumps should be adequate, or stop when grease oozes out the rubber seal. A complete chassis lube at a jiffy lube or any such place is pretty cheap.
For the power steering fluid, Jeep says:
MS5931 IS THE ONLY FLUID THAT CAN BE USED FOR THE POWER STEERING SYSTEM. NO EXCEPTIONS!
The factory fill power steering fluid for all 1999-2004 Grand Cherokees is a unique fluid, MS5931. ATF+4 (MS9602) should not be mixed or used as a “topping off” fluid on the Grand Cherokee WJ. All WJ models should be serviced using ONLY the special MS5931 fluid. ATF+4 is NOT an approved Power Steering Fluid and should never be used under any circumstances. Note that all fluids will darken in color with usage and fluid color is no longer an indication of fluid condition.
Oh.. I did my best 'good weather dance', but i'd suggest a wetsuit just in case. Keep dry and look cool! Flippers add to the look, especially stickin' out from under the Jeep. Have fun
Old 01-20-2012, 07:20 AM
N8N

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

so in short "steering linkage" just means tie rod ends, ball joints, and such like? And I *do* have to go to the dealer for PS fluid... great... (the XJ owner's manual doesn't go into that explicit detail, but it doesn't offer any alternates for the factory stuff.)

In other news, a coworker has apparently moved and has offered his garage "as soon as he gets it cleaned up" - maybe I should offer to go over there this weekend and help him unpack
Old 01-20-2012, 10:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by N8N
so in short "steering linkage" just means tie rod ends, ball joints, and such like? And I *do* have to go to the dealer for PS fluid... great... (the XJ owner's manual doesn't go into that explicit detail, but it doesn't offer any alternates for the factory stuff.)

In other news, a coworker has apparently moved and has offered his garage "as soon as he gets it cleaned up" - maybe I should offer to go over there this weekend and help him unpack
Umm, I've never noticed there being a specific requirement for PS fluid. I've run cheapo generic in mine for years with no problems. Looks like it's time to find my repair manual and look up the fluid specs out of curiosity.

Oh and I'm doing a snow dance, we've gotten less than 3 inches of snow here in Ohio this year and I'm waiting for white gold to fall from the sky so I can go plow and make some darn money. I'm sick of being broke.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:39 PM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by N8N

Well, I think in the manual, they meant do not use atf in the power steering. I know some cars i've had called for atf for the ps. I'd think the 'clear' power steering specific fluid would work, but I wouldn't bet my ps pump on it.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:47 PM

great to see the humor and good info to check and fue=rther thought.