Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Lower control arms!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Lower control arms!?!?!?

So I got the nuts off the front LCA but I can't get the bolt to move or come out. I would use a torch but not ready to replace the bushing I just need to pull the arms.

Any Suggestions?
Old 04-19-2010, 11:31 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: '92

Pickle fork, Hammer, etc...
Old 04-19-2010, 11:34 AM

is the jeep on the ground or do you have it jacked up on jack stands i would say there is prolly a bunch of force on the arm and its holding the bolt in i would put it on jack stands in the front and maybe use a floor jack on the front axle or even on the arm to see if you can maneuver it so it will release tension on the bolt or it might just need a little love from a hammer and a punch
Old 04-19-2010, 02:53 PM

Year: 1999

Hey all-
I am not the most mechanically inclined person. With that being said, took my car in for an oil change the other day and received a "laundry list" of things to fix- of course. Ranging from replacing the coil springs (not sure if it's the correct term, so please bear with me) to replacing the front bushings to a rear brake re-alignment... to name a few. They wanted to charge me ~ $1000. And, if I can save some money through reading a technical manual and with the help of a very mechaincally inclined neighbor, I would like to. I think I've spec'd out the correct parts on Rock Auto.com and it shouldn't come out to more than $400-500. I do know enough that the rear brakes should automatically align themselves if you drive in reverse and depress the brake pedal... at least that's what I thought. As far as the front bushings go, would it be easier to just replace the arms? I apprecaite your help and time.

--Christian

Last edited by ccraig; 04-19-2010 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:14 PM

Year: 1991

Originally Posted by ccraig
Hey all-
I am not the most mechanically inclined person. With that being said, took my car in for an oil change the other day and received a "laundry list" of things to fix- of course. Ranging from replacing the coil springs (not sure if it's the correct term, so please bear with me) to replacing the front bushings to a rear brake re-alignment... to name a few. They wanted to charge me ~ $1000. And, if I can save some money through reading a technical manual and with the help of a very mechaincally inclined neighbor, I would like to. I think I've spec'd out the correct parts on Rock Auto.com and it shouldn't come out to more than $400-500. I do know enough that the rear brakes should automatically align themselves if you drive in reverse and depress the brake pedal... at least that's what I thought. As far as the front bushings go, would it be easier to just replace the arms? I apprecaite your help and time.

--Christian
SPAMMER???
Old 04-19-2010, 10:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by studmuffin
SPAMMER???
Old 04-21-2010, 08:35 AM

Well for now I am leaving them as they are until I get new arms or a bushing kit. Thanks for the input.

Pickle fork = no bueno. The jeep was jacked up and no tension on them. They are just plain rusted into the bushing sleeve. I will have to go with a hammer and heat wrench to get these stupid things out.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:41 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by bvicker
Well for now I am leaving them as they are until I get new arms or a bushing kit. Thanks for the input.

Pickle fork = no bueno. The jeep was jacked up and no tension on them. They are just plain rusted into the bushing sleeve. I will have to go with a hammer and heat wrench to get these stupid things out.
PB Buster them for a few days. I did this and they came out with no problem...Tj
Old 04-21-2010, 08:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Get a big ole breaker bar on them beasts and just get them to turn.

From there if they spin you can use an impact wrench if available to keep turning it in and out, eventually it will make threads in the rust in the sleeve, and screw its self out (works on leaf pack main eyebolts too)....suppose you could still do that with a breaker bar and ratchet, but air tools make life easy lol.

I agree with the PB blast soaking. PB helps a lot, just as long as you have some patience!