Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

looking at 00 Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2016, 12:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default looking at 00 Cherokee

I've read through the sticky on buying cherokees and just wanted to throw this out there...looking at a 00 Cherokee Sport with 193000 miles. Owner says it runs good and the only issue is the cherokee water issue on the passenger side floor but he says he had some metal welded into it a couple years ago. Tires are less than a year old and it has a 3" Rustys lift. He drove it as his daily but bought an explore (he wanted creature comforts ) to each his own. Pain and body is in good shape. Asking 2400. The guy lives three hours away and while i'm really interested in it and it seems like a fair price, wanted to see if anyone had any tips for me to ask before i drove up there and if there was anything in particular i should look for. I read there was a head casting issue but didn't know if i should look for anything?
Old 10-21-2016, 12:08 PM

Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

I would just be worried the infamous weak point in the head...
Old 10-21-2016, 12:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

with the 2000 you should definitely look to see if the head was changed. That has the 0331 head from the factory and is prone to cracking between number 3 and 4 cylinder. (you beat me to it Ender). is the jeep located in the areas where salt is used in the winter. then check for rust and rot on the under side were snow and ice could build up and eat the body and frame away.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:16 PM

Update...he sent me a list of all the issues that he is aware of...
1. shocks are shot on the back hatch
2. small rust area on the hatch
3. can be hard starting in the morning
4. does have some valve knock
5. tires need rotating every 6000 miles (don't know if i would call that an issue...more like general maintance)
6. pulls slightly to the right
7.windows can only be controlled from drivers window
8. very small chip in windshield
Old 10-21-2016, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by dans98xj
with the 2000 you should definitely look to see if the head was changed. That has the 0331 head from the factory and is prone to cracking between number 3 and 4 cylinder. (you beat me to it Ender). is the jeep located in the areas where salt is used in the winter. then check for rust and rot on the under side were snow and ice could build up and eat the body and frame away.
Where would i look for this number at?
Old 10-21-2016, 12:22 PM

Year: 2000

You need to look for obvious signs of a cracked head, which there may not be. Look for milky oil under the oil cap. Check the dipstick for milkiness too. The number one sign for the cracked head is unexplained coolant loss. Ask him if he tops off his overflow bottle from time to time.

Also, you can check for a crack by looking into the valve cover with the cap off and the engine running at operating temperature. Sometimes you will be able to see either green coolant seeping in or discoloration near the spring. Here are a couple of pics and a video to help you out:

@1:05

Finally, check the oil pressure at a hot idle. Is it above 13 lbs or does it dip below zero? If it's at zero, it could be a pressure sending unit or it could mean that the coolant/oil mix has ruined the engine.

I don't drive my XJ too much, so the only way I could tell coolant was in the oil was by sending in a sample to Blackstone Labs.

Did I miss anything?
Old 10-21-2016, 12:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lugnutal
Where would i look for this number at?
it is on the drivers side of the head about mid way down. You might be able to see it but the valve cover can block part of the number.

here is a picture of one I found online.

if there is a crack in the head you can see it thought the oil filler on the valve cover.
Old 10-21-2016, 12:39 PM

Well he told me he has to add some once or twice a year...is that bad??
Old 10-21-2016, 02:19 PM

I'm assuming he's adding coolant. It depends on how much he drives it and where the coolant is going. If there is a visible external leak, then that's the cause of the leak. If it's a daily driver then it sounds fine but if hes only putting a few thousand miles on it per year then I would be worried. Again, it can be very difficult to detect initially.

Ask for some pictures of the underside of the oil cap and inside the valve cover if possible. To me, it sounds like it sounds risky unless you can really inspect the thing thoroughly. Given how many Cherokees there are and the distance/inconvenience this one is, I would pass.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:27 PM

Year: 1999

If there's water on the floor in the cabin it's leaking coolant from the heater core. Not an easy fix (have to remove the whole dash) but it's better than a cracked head and would explain why you need to add coolant. If the head was cracked and it was leaking coolant into the top end, the oil cap would have a milky residue on it (from coolant being in the oil). Also listen for lifter tap when you first start the engine and it's still cold. It sounds like a bottom end knock on the 4.0 and is a symptom of coolant getting on the down on the lifters. If you hear knock, knock, knock run like hell.
Old 10-21-2016, 02:33 PM

Year: 1999

I just went back and read that the guy told you it has a valve tap. I wouldn't buy it man.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

X2. Stay away from 2000-01 XJ Cherokees. Especially this one. It is going to be a money pit.

'99 and earlier don't have the known head cracking issue.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:41 PM

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

you can also look at the coolant -pop the radiator cap if the vehicle is cold, oil will rise to the top. If you see oil swirls walk away. If it is warm you probably won't see the oil, it will be mixed in....but it does sound like he is trying to dump his issues on someone else. I don't think it's worth $2400 if it needs a head, and possible other work.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:32 PM

Engine: 4.0L

I agree with the others. Nice of him to be honest but you don't want to find the real problems on that three hour ride home.
Old 10-21-2016, 04:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 2015, 2012
Model: Grand Cherokee (WK2)
Engine: 3.6L

It probably wouldn't make it that far.