Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Little Help---Paint Code on '88

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 04:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Little Help---Paint Code on '88

I am actually trying to find out what the original paint color is on my '88. The tag on the inside of the driver's door is not readable. The plate on the firewall is good to go, but have seen people say the VIN is on the bottom. Well if I am standing on the Driver's side looking down at the plate it looks just like this.

Vin:1JCMRXXXXXXXXXXXX

J667921 30 0011263

17-0
116-0

CC 26 2PX

I thought the CC was the paint code, which shows as Dover Gray Metallic. So I ordered a sample of it to compare and the Gray is actually lighter than the color on the Jeep. Any help or answers would be great. Thanks
Old 04-01-2015, 01:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

A coupe of thoughts. "Rub Out" a section of your Jeep. Rubbing compound, then wax. Then put some of the sample there and let it dry. Others here should know better than me but your paint may be oxidized, and the new will dry a different shade, I think. (THERE MIGHT BE 50!)

Edit. Of course you don't want to paint over wax, just s small sample to see the match.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 04-01-2015 at 01:18 AM.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:46 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

After 27 years, there is a good chance your XJ was repainted sometime in its past. The silver on it now might only be a "close enough" match to the original which would explain the difference.
Old 04-01-2015, 07:59 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

http://www.paintscratch.com/touch_up...-Cherokee.html
Old 04-01-2015, 08:12 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Here's some '88 paint choices:

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/tou...88/all-models/
Old 04-01-2015, 08:48 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 inline 6

I paint cars for a living man. You'd be surprised how much one paint code can vary from one production factory to another. Plus years of sun and oxidation. And possible repainting. You want it to match almost perfect bring your gas door lid or something into an autobody supply shop. Alot of them will tint and match the color for you.
Old 04-01-2015, 09:00 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by XJ Rookie
I paint cars for a living man. You'd be surprised how much one paint code can vary from one production factory to another. Plus years of sun and oxidation. And possible repainting. You want it to match almost perfect bring your gas door lid or something into an autobody supply shop. Alot of them will tint and match the color for you.
Yep.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:18 AM

Thank You all for the replies, found out for some reason that my Vin Plate to the firewall was stamped backwards....After some thought and a suggestion, I wound up pulling out the drivers side seat and lifted the carpet to locate the hidden tag. I was able to confirm the paint code is CC (Dover Gray Metallic). The sample that I ordered did come from Paintscratch, and it looked light. I was able to go to Paint Ref and get the cross reference codes for the Dover Gray by Chrysler, Ditzler PPG, Dupont and Sherwin Williams. So far, Sherwin Williams(physically seen the paint sample) has given me the best price quotes on the paint. So looks like I may just be repainting the whole vehicle.

XJRookie, since you said you paint for a living. Do you have any experience using Sherwin Williams Auto Paints, good or bad? Would ask my father(40 years expierence) but that's all using PPG Paints, so he is no use to me as they want an arm and a leg and your first born child....
Old 04-01-2015, 02:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988

That paint code might be the same as the number of grit for the sandpaper that gets used to sand the whole thing down and start again with a color of your choosing.

Silver paint doesn't have great longevity....
Old 04-01-2015, 02:53 PM

Haha yes ppg is outrageous but its quality paint. I have never used Sherwin Williams i just know its cheap for a reason. Are you planning to actually repaint the jeep or just use it for touch up? Dupont is on the cheaper end but it is good quality too.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:02 PM

Haha yes ppg is outrageous but its quality paint. I have never used Sherwin Williams i just know its cheap for a reason. Are you planning to actually repaint the jeep or just use it for touch up? Dupont is on the cheaper end but it is good quality too.
Well after getting into the body work on it, there is more surface rust than I thought. Also buffed a small section of the hood today as DF suggested and well lets just say there is spider veining. So its looking like a complete repaint at this point.

On the Dupont Paint, when I am calling around which line should I price out? The Cromax, Axalta or Nason? Also still trying to decide on the primer if I should go with lacquer or urethane.

Last edited by Hopalong; 04-01-2015 at 03:34 PM. Reason: another question
Old 04-01-2015, 03:45 PM

Gotcha. So are you planning to paint it yourself or are you looking for an affordable shop? When it comes down to it materials are expensive but you get what you pay for. Top brand paint lines offer a lifetime warranty. Sherwin Williams might last you 10 years.
Old 04-01-2015, 03:54 PM

Gotcha. So are you planning to paint it yourself or are you looking for an affordable shop? When it comes down to it materials are expensive but you get what you pay for. Top brand paint lines offer a lifetime warranty. Sherwin Williams might last you 10 years.
Will be a do-it-myself job, with my dad's help(even though he doesn't know it yet). Somehow I have to get his 40 years of painting cars involved.

Haven't located a Dupont Dealer yet, but here is what I was given on the other 2 quotes.

Sherwin Williams $50.70 per quart & PPG $129.65 per quart. That's a major difference in price.
Old 04-01-2015, 06:23 PM

Ya that price gap hurts. Is your jeep a trail rig or your daily driver? If its a trail rig prep that thing out and roll it through a maaco for 500 bucks and call it a day. What state are you in? Just wondering if your looking for solvent or waterbased paint?
Old 04-01-2015, 06:53 PM

Ya that price gap hurts. Is your jeep a trail rig or your daily driver? If its a trail rig prep that thing out and roll it through a maaco for 500 bucks and call it a day. What state are you in? Just wondering if your looking for solvent or waterbased paint?
I am in Ohio, and it will be used for both once I am done with it. Not rock crawling or anything like that, but some fun in the mud and what not. I have a 3.0" lift from trail master suspension sitting in the garage, waiting to go on. But think I should paint it first and want to pull the axles and clean them up take a look at the gears, put in new gear oil and change the gaskets.

If I go with the SW for the paint, reducer, primer and clear w/activator I am looking at 300-325.00 out the door.

Quick Reply: Little Help---Paint Code on '88