Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

lift, tire size and new axles

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default lift, tire size and new axles

ok wana get a lift start small and then grow as my budget grows. what size lift can i go up to before i have to start changing out axles, gears etc etc. ok i know tire size affects that more than lift size. i would like to get a lift that alows you to be able to add on down the road. everyone down in my part of florida does the mudding thing. been there done that, i wanna build a daily driver but also rock crawler. one day i am going to snap and my jeep will be displaying its articulation skills on one of these idiots ferraris or lamborgini in the gym parking lot. ok breathe, i know we dont have alot of rock climbing here but thats something i like to do. also i ned to change the power steering pump, should i get a dept store power steering pump or save for a big bad psc pump??? keep in mine its a daily driver and i live in the flat lands of s florida.love the forum!this forum has helped me solved many of issues, also wanna send shout out to military jeepers as well!!!!
Old 11-13-2009, 08:11 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: I6

hey man, theirs a lot of lifts that you can build up over time ex. rusty's off road, they have a 3.5 and a 4.5" that you can use and a puck and shackle down the road. Stock axles are fine till you start getting into the serious stuff... i have a lot of friends that are running 35's on the stock dana 30 axles with no problem. Just something you might want to keep in mind when you get about 4" of lift you'll want to get a t-case drop kit which is included in the rustys kit, and and if you go up any further then that your gonna want to invest in a SYE kit................. hope this helps
Old 11-13-2009, 01:12 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by mike20
hey man, theirs a lot of lifts that you can build up over time ex. rusty's off road, they have a 3.5 and a 4.5" that you can use and a puck and shackle down the road. Stock axles are fine till you start getting into the serious stuff... i have a lot of friends that are running 35's on the stock dana 30 axles with no problem. Just something you might want to keep in mind when you get about 4" of lift you'll want to get a t-case drop kit which is included in the rustys kit, and and if you go up any further then that your gonna want to invest in a SYE kit................. hope this helps
i was checking out the rusty's. heard good and bad. but to be honest i am finding out alot more about about other locally made brands that are cheaper than some of the big names.the more i look the more i discover...