Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 01-27-2012, 06:55 PM   #1

View multiperpus's Photo Album My Photos
99 Cherokee
Default leaking maybe near oil filter

Sorry if this has been covered before but the search function keeps crashing the app..but can't pinpoint the oil leak but it spears to be from around the oil filter..pressure sending unit was a source but has since been replaced wasn't sure if the white marker in the picture was supposed to line up with the little nub (the cause I'm thinking) any suggestions would be helpfull thanks

leaking maybe near oil filter-forumrunner_20120127_195515.jpg
multiperpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
CF Veteran

View ZINGGG's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

It's very common to leak at the oil filter adaptor. How's your valve cover gasket? I'd pressure wash the engine, make sure it's nice and clean and then start it up and with it running, observe the engine closely and try and find the leak. Start at the highest point (valve cover) and work your way down when looking for the leak

If needed to replace, UPGRADE!!

'96 XJ 4-door Sport 4.0L, AW4, NP231, HP D30, 8.25
w/ 4" Teraflex lift, 33" BFG K/Os on Black Rock Soft 8s, 4.56 gears (thank you RWKHausSupply), APN header, Precision Auto Injectors, bored throttle body (thank you Thexjfiles), Spectre Intake, 2.5" Magnaflow catback (thank you mudfrog), Optima red top, Kelley's WiP 4 gauge battery cables (thank you 5-90), 10" cubby subwoofer (thank you KFXHellRaiser), 1-ton steering (thank you SeriousOffroad), front Crusader prerunner bumper (thank you JCR Offroad), sliders and rear bumper/tire carrier (thank you Ares Fab), Hyline Hood Vents, Truck Lite LEDs and more
ZINGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #3

View cherokeesport01's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

Could be the sending unit or the or the oil filter housing gasket i have the same problem on my 01xj just havent gotten around to it yet lol
cherokeesport01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
Seasoned Member

View cherokee94&99's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee

Mine was the seal for the elbow.
cherokee94&99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Seasoned Member

View stockli's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

Make sure you check your valve cover gasket. When they leak oil can get absolutely everywhere and I mean EVERYWHERE
stockli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:52 PM   #6

99 Cherokee

Thanks for the suggestions, definitely not the valve cover just changed it about 6k ago its been washed several times since (every time I change something involving oil) sending unit is new and fine ..the oil is only infuriated lower half below the filter..can anyone fill me in on what that elbow is called so I can try replacing the seal?
Old 01-27-2012, 09:05 PM   #7
kjc

View kjc's Photo Album My Photos
1993 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiperpus View Post
Thanks for the suggestions, definitely not the valve cover just changed it about 6k ago its been washed several times since (every time I change something involving oil) sending unit is new and fine ..the oil is only infuriated lower half below the filter..can anyone fill me in on what that elbow is called so I can try replacing the seal?
Oil filter adapter.. mine has 3 rubber o-rings. They're available at the dealer, but I found cheaper ones searching amazon.
kjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 09:08 PM   #8
CF Veteran

View Programbo's Photo Album My Photos
1994 1993 Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to Programbo

I changed mine. Was a nightmare getting it off. Finally had to take the sawz-all and cut it LOL
Old 01-28-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
CF Veteran

View ZINGGG's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc

Oil filter adapter.. mine has 3 rubber o-rings. They're available at the dealer, but I found cheaper ones searching amazon.
What he said. One large and two smaller orings. I tried searching local auto parts stores and all I could find was the one large one. So either search online or go to the dealer for em

If needed to replace, UPGRADE!!

'96 XJ 4-door Sport 4.0L, AW4, NP231, HP D30, 8.25
w/ 4" Teraflex lift, 33" BFG K/Os on Black Rock Soft 8s, 4.56 gears (thank you RWKHausSupply), APN header, Precision Auto Injectors, bored throttle body (thank you Thexjfiles), Spectre Intake, 2.5" Magnaflow catback (thank you mudfrog), Optima red top, Kelley's WiP 4 gauge battery cables (thank you 5-90), 10" cubby subwoofer (thank you KFXHellRaiser), 1-ton steering (thank you SeriousOffroad), front Crusader prerunner bumper (thank you JCR Offroad), sliders and rear bumper/tire carrier (thank you Ares Fab), Hyline Hood Vents, Truck Lite LEDs and more
ZINGGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:15 PM   #10

View sonicsix's Photo Album My Photos
1999 Cherokee

Recently did this on mine... got the o-ring set from the dealer for about $4 total. Bought a right angle Torx set from O'Reilly's for $10 and did it myself. You can use a cheater pipe or a long box end wrench for leverage. A strong steady pull and mine spun loose.
Old 01-28-2012, 06:51 PM   #11

99 Cherokee

Just ordered the 3 rings for it about an hour ago..hoping it all goes well
Old 01-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #12
CF Veteran

View hankthetank's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by multiperpus
Just ordered the 3 rings for it about an hour ago..hoping it all goes well
It's easy, don't sweat it. FYI, I got my o-rings at an industrial seal shop. Cheaper than stealership, and you can get whatever material and durometer you want. I got 90d buna. But, I learned that you can get 80d virgin teflon orings that are guaranteed to last 10x longer than buna or Viton.
hankthetank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 11:03 PM   #13

View JeepMoreDoor's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

Did mine on a 2000 XJ. The fix is pretty simple. I got a T-60 two piece torx bit, has to be a two piece so you can drive out the torx bit from the socket. Then i just got a box end wrench that fit the hex part of the bit to break the adaptor bolt loose. Youll have to used a small pipe to slide over the wrench for more leverage. Once youre done can tap the trox bit back into its socket.
JeepMoreDoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:42 PM   #14

99 Cherokee

Thanks for the help guys ..all done took me maybe 30 mins ..easiest fix I've done in a long time
Old 02-07-2012, 05:52 PM   #15
CF Veteran

View fishtaconc's Photo Album My Photos
Jeepless at the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankthetank View Post
It's easy, don't sweat it. FYI, I got my o-rings at an industrial seal shop. Cheaper than stealership, and you can get whatever material and durometer you want. I got 90d buna. But, I learned that you can get 80d virgin teflon orings that are guaranteed to last 10x longer than buna or Viton.
Teflon is good, but I have found teflon doesnt seal as well as Buna or Viton, it doesn't conform like the rubber. I change the shaft seals on our pumps we use, to teflon to hold higher case pressures, but they weep some, which with said shaft seal is acceptable. But X2 on going to an industrial supplier. Viton will last longer than Buna due to its higher heat rating, but be sure NOT to get EPR/EPDM petroleum products will break it down.
fishtaconc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 05:52 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech