Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

leafs or shackles

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leafs or shackles

I've been pricing lifts and I'm wondering if there is a performance difference in using shackles vs add a leafs. I'm on a tight budget and only adding two inches. I like the idea of shakles cause it sounds easier. Maybe one of you guys have some info.

Thanks
Old 02-10-2008, 06:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

go with the shackle, the AAL will harshen your ride and sag with use.

-Kyle
Old 02-10-2008, 06:19 PM

Thanks, Good lookin out
Old 02-10-2008, 07:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

add a leaf will make your leaf packs last a hell of a lot longer than a shackle.

what a shackle does is allows your leafs to bend further than designed and soon enough they will sag from over compression.

they have their place though, but not paired with soft stock leaf packs

this is speaking from experience.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:20 PM

i have to agree with ktmracer. The hardest part of lifting is what to go with. my best advice is don't get caught up in the i have to have this or that. Find a product that will work and use it. If you cant afford it right away save up for it. I have an 87 Cherokee I'm building at the moment. I put on a rough country 3 inch kit with a nitro shock upgrade and aal, for just under 500 bucks. i don't have a harsh ride at all in my jeep, it rides smoother than before. granted i used an upgraded shock in the lift and had a twenty year old suspension underneath, which all goes into play in my case. I spent many hours over many weeks in front of the computer just looking for what i wanted. Take your time find exactly what you want then save and get the right parts. Don't use parts that will eventually lead to spending a ton more cash on repairing what got damaged by using cheaper parts and cheaper solutions. I've been running my lift for about 5ish months now and no sagging as of yet. I will prolly have to go to a new pack eventually, just not as soon as if i would have used a shackle. I also used the long aal instead of the short. I've been told they tend to ride better and last longer, due to they have more flex in them then a short aal. so far i believe it to be true.

Bastard Child
Old 02-15-2008, 05:40 PM

Thanks Bastard. Thats good advise. I'm a bit impatient and was going to buy a cheap lift. But now I believe there to be consequences and I will save and buy all new springs.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Originally Posted by jason
Thanks Bastard. Thats good advise. I'm a bit impatient and was going to buy a cheap lift. But now I believe there to be consequences and I will save and buy all new springs.
very good decision, save the money and do it right the first time

-Kyle