Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Last ditch items to check before it's the Heater Core?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 04:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Last ditch items to check before it's the Heater Core?

Yea, I got the coolant smell, and a little fog on the windshield. no dampness in cab. I know, I know, time to replace the Heater core. Before I commit to that, any last ditch, "Hail Mary" items/issues I can check for?
I don't have the space or time to handle this myself, I have read all the threads on here regarding it. Looks like 1000-1500 to get it done at a shop.
01 XJ with 139k
Old 01-23-2017, 04:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

The heater core is leaking. The only quick and easy fix is to bypass the heater core altogether, but you lose heat. Unless you can work on it a little at a time, or find a member on here that lives nearby and willing to help, you are stuck taking it to a shop. Keep in mind that the a/c will need evacuated beforehand, and then refilled afterwards. By a shop, preferably.

I wouldnt want to spend that much either. But i have the time and space should it ever need done.
Old 01-23-2017, 09:46 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Do it yourself.
There are some great threads here to help you.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Have u checked the hose clamps at the connection to the firewall? If they come loose they might slow leak inside. Not probable, but possible. Other than that, I bypassed mine until I had a week off of work. It allowed me to get all the pieces. .. be sure to replace the AC piece in the heater box at the same time if you're interested in AC working. You already have it all apart. This also gives you some time to plan and watch some videos. I also did mine in stages. I took off almost everything I could while still using it to get to work. Then when I officially started the project I was about 25% done already... glove box was out. Center counsel was out. Passenger side dash and airbag was out... etc. Etc. I took lots of picts. It was the that bad. Drop the column but don't pull the whole dash, just bungee cord it back with a cord from the lassenger side dash to the seat belt anchor of the drivers side wall. DO NOT pull the lever to tilt your column while it's disconnected. It must start straight and stay straight or you can't reconnect it. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:03 AM

Thanks guys, I have read all the threads, just don't have the garage space, tools, or time to tackle myself. I'm in SE Va ( Va Beach) if anyone knows a jeep guru in this neck of the woods. Since I was getting no dampness I thought I might get lucky.....
Old 01-24-2017, 02:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L inline 6

Having just changed the heater core in my 89 I can offer some hope.
The parts are cheap. Heater core and a quart of premixed coolant.
All the parts removed from the dash fit in the trunk while I was doing the work.
Tools are minimal. Phillips screwdriver and a few sockets 10mm 15mm and 5/16
Disconnect the battery or you'll need a boost from having the doors open for 4 hrs.
It is ful on winter here now but we had a window of good weather here in eastern Ontario on the weekend.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:12 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

It's a good idea to also replace the evaporator while you're in there. Taking the dash apart is not a job you want to do twice whether doing it yourself or paying someone to do it for you. (I have the opposite problem, leaky evaporator but good heater core. I'll definitely be replacing both when I go in there.)