Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Large Oil Filters

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 09:24 AM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6 HO
Default Large Oil Filters

I used to have a list of the larger oil filter numbers and types for the 4.0 but somehow lost them. I did a few searches and came up with nothing also so does anyone have that list handy??? Thx...Tj
Old 01-29-2010, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2008
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 3.0L CRD

i know the Mobile 1 filter "301" size meant for ford trucks with the 5.0L engine work. does your local auto parts store have the number books by the filters? basically, if you remember the 5.0 ford you could look through all the books and remake that list of compatible filters.
Old 01-29-2010, 10:09 AM

Engine: 4.0. H.O. 242 6-Shooter

cant larger oil filters sometimes stress out oil pumps and stuff?
Old 01-29-2010, 10:14 AM

no, they shouldn't put extra stress on the system. all you are really doing by putting the bigger filter on is giving the oil more of an element to go through, which should help keep the oil cleaner for a longer time. only way that i know of for pressure to build up to much in a oil system is if something big gets into your engine and starts blocking vital passages. but if that does happen, that means your engine was screwed a long time ago.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:14 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

It seems like more filter media may effect that pump. The bigger filter may not allow that pump to attain it's required net suction head pressure (increased amount of filter media = increased flow resistance, also known as increased pipe length equivalent). Being that it is a closed loop, the increased amount of filter media would also increase the discharge head pressure and could cause problems between the pump discharge and filter.

I don't know the actual numbers and capacities of the system, but it seems counterintuitive to add a filter which would equate to a greater resistance in flow.

But if people have done it without a problem...no worries and I'll eat my words.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by stellerxj
It seems like more filter media may effect that pump. The bigger filter may not allow that pump to attain it's required net suction head pressure (increased amount of filter media = increased flow resistance, also known as increased pipe length equivalent). Being that it is a closed loop, the increased amount of filter media would also increase the discharge head pressure and could cause problems between the pump discharge and filter.

I don't know the actual numbers and capacities of the system, but it seems counterintuitive to add a filter which would equate to a greater resistance in flow.

But if people have done it without a problem...no worries and I'll eat my words.
yea maybe this isnt a problem on the xjs but i know for a fact it can be problems on some other vehicles like on my first gen ranger you can stress out the oil pump and they can shear dist gears and stuff....just wasnt sure if it was like that on the xjs at all
Old 01-29-2010, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

Napa part number 1515
Wix part number 51515
I'm sure you can find crossover tables from there.

Turns out this is the filter for Ford Rangers. My old 2.3L 4cyl ford ranger used this filter and I think most Exploders use them too. I have good luck with them but be warned that there isn't much space to get your hand in when changing the filter. Please remember to check your fill level as the filter is bigger than OEM.

s
Old 01-29-2010, 12:32 PM

one thing i think we need to remember as well is when the XJ was designed, basically the engineers knew people would tinker with it and make it an off road performer. the system itself is defiantly capable of handling larger units, and was intended to do so. smaller filters were most likely added because they (technically) are cheaper, and make a system more reliable because of less pressure. even then, the filter element may cause a slight pressure change in the system, but it won't be enough to harm it.

as for the ford ranger... oh god, horror stories from my friend who still has his. i honestly think those things were designed to fail in anyway possible. he's replaced the transmission twice after having the fluid changed and the filter replaced, all the seals in the engine are basically gone, he's had the ball joints replaced twice on the front end... i think the only thing that is still original on it is the sheet metal for the bed. i've told him to just scrap it and get something else, but he holds onto it thinking he can make it better :-/
Old 01-29-2010, 12:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

i've been running the oversize filters in my jeep since i bought it in 05. no issues.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Now, I'm no motor fluid engineer or nuthin', but:

Looking at Napa Gold Oil filters:
OEM specs:
Flow Rate : 9 - 11 gpm
Gasket I.D. (Inches) : 2.462"
Gasket I.D. (mm) : 62.54 mm
Media Type : Cellulose

Oversized filter specs:
Flow Rate : 7 - 9 gpm
Gasket I.D. (Inches) : 2.462"
Gasket I.D. (mm) : 62.54 mm
Media Type : Cellulose

What this is telling us is A) the filter will fit (gasket size that is), B) the filter media is the same stuff, and C) the OEM filter has a faster flow rate than the oversized filter. Is this going to kill your engine...nope. Oil pumps and stuff are affected by the flow rate and the anti-drain back valve. If the flow rate isn't enough at any given point in time, the anti-drain back valve opens up when pressure demands require oil to flow faster than the filter media allows. Yes this allows previously filtered foreign bodies back into your system, but it is better than an engine starving for oil.

You've gotta make the call for yourself if you want to do it or not. I don't think the valve opens up as the valve is only a protective measure for emergency issues. If your rig is pumping oil right in the first place, the anti-drain back valve will never open, even with the lower flow rate (in my personal opinion).

s
Old 01-29-2010, 12:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996 & 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

I use Motorcraft FL-1a seems to work ok for my Jeeps
Old 01-29-2010, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by DagBMX
one thing i think we need to remember as well is when the XJ was designed, basically the engineers knew people would tinker with it and make it an off road performer. the system itself is defiantly capable of handling larger units, and was intended to do so. smaller filters were most likely added because they (technically) are cheaper, and make a system more reliable because of less pressure. even then, the filter element may cause a slight pressure change in the system, but it won't be enough to harm it.

as for the ford ranger... oh god, horror stories from my friend who still has his. i honestly think those things were designed to fail in anyway possible. he's replaced the transmission twice after having the fluid changed and the filter replaced, all the seals in the engine are basically gone, he's had the ball joints replaced twice on the front end... i think the only thing that is still original on it is the sheet metal for the bed. i've told him to just scrap it and get something else, but he holds onto it thinking he can make it better :-/
lol my ranger is reliable as hell you can run the **** outta it all day long over and over and it just comes back for more i only like the first gens though,i hate newer fords.
Old 01-29-2010, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by BeepBeepImaJeep
lol my ranger is reliable as hell you can run the **** outta it all day long over and over and it just comes back for more i only like the first gens though,i hate newer fords.
My 93 was bullet proof too. It was hard to get rid of. not that it was a great performer or anything, but because it was reliable and having a pickup with a bed was worth more than the actual value. But...then again, it did pay for my XJ. Progress.

s
Old 01-29-2010, 01:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: I6ho

Originally Posted by McRay
I use Motorcraft FL-1a seems to work ok for my Jeeps
ditto
Old 01-29-2010, 02:37 PM

1773 Napa gold.......huge compared to the last filter I got for mine from Advanced.

Quick Reply: Large Oil Filters