Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 11-12-2013, 09:34 AM   #1

View Ye Ol' Cherokee's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee
Post Knock from oil pan ? 4.0

hi guys, I have a 1998 Cherokee Sport 4.0 with 140,000 miles. I have had the Jeep for 10,000 miles now. I always use castrol high mileage blend with either a napa gold filter or purolator pureONE when I do or changes. when I put it in the Jeep I started to notice a light knock from the oil pan. I'm not sure if it's from the oil or if I just didn't notice it before, but i have done 3 oil changes since with the same oil

some details: when I first start it cold you can't hear it, but after about 15 seconds you begin to hear it, and it does not go away at any temp. sometimes it is louder than others. When i accelarate, up til abouy 1800 rpm, i hear it speed up a bit, but im thinking that might not be the same noise. And at 3000 rpm and higher, it sounds like a sewing machine, but i heard that is normal, correct me if im wrong.

the oil pressure at cold starts out at like 50, never goes higher than 60, and after its been running for a long while and is hot, the idle sits at about 10-11 psi. I still have to check it with a mechanical gauge though.

The noise is loudest by the front wheels and if you stick your head underneath, but can also be heard in the cabin, and very lightly from the top of the engine. Its not very loud, so if you don't listen for it, you might not notice it, so it doesn't seem to be that bad.

there is no real loss of power, but I've never driven another jeep to compare it to.

I have audio files, which have the sounds that I am hearing from underneath, but the site won't let me post them I guess because they are the wrong file type. if someone could tell me how to post them to here that would be great, or f you would consider letting me email them to you so maybe you could help me
Ye Ol' Cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Seasoned Member

View jj1562's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

Look on YouTube for, "cherokee flexplate loose" see if it's the same sound
jj1562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 09:57 AM   #3
CF Veteran

View F1Addict's Photo Album My Photos
1989 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1562 View Post
Look on YouTube for, "cherokee flexplate loose" see if it's the same sound
Assuming it's an automatic, of course. Best to fill out the rest of the info in your profile so we don't have to assume

Road Trip I

Road Trip II
F1Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 10:52 AM   #4

1998 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Addict View Post
Assuming it's an automatic, of course. Best to fill out the rest of the info in your profile so we don't have to assume
Yea, sorry i have the aw4 automatic. I listened to the videos, and it does resemble it, but just not as loud as some of them. So if it is that, it must not be too bad and is just a crack. Is there a way to check? I do a lot of my own work, but i dont even know where i would find the flexplate. I just know its by the transmission somewhere lol
Old 11-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #5

View bigbadon's Photo Album My Photos
2004 Grand Cherokee

Is it in sync with engine or is it a fast rattle/knock? Check the harmonic balancer pulley after 15 years it may be loose.
Before you get into much of a panic start paying attention to other 4.0s when your next to one at a stoplight or in a parking lot. I have seen very few that did not make a little noise.
A rod knock will get louder and louder as you accelerate. Valve train noise (rocker lash, camshaft tingle) will usually go away above 2000rpm.
bigbadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 11:18 AM   #6

1998 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadon View Post
Is it in sync with engine or is it a fast rattle/knock? Check the harmonic balancer pulley after 15 years it may be loose.
Before you get into much of a panic start paying attention to other 4.0s when your next to one at a stoplight or in a parking lot. I have seen very few that did not make a little noise.
A rod knock will get louder and louder as you accelerate. Valve train noise (rocker lash, camshaft tingle) will usually go away above 2000rpm.
Its deffinitely not in sync with the engine too much. Itl seem like it is, then it wont. Itd definitely not a uniform noise. Almost sounds like the clatter i had in my.old sebring but with more of a knock to it. Its sort of a random knock id say. Im really starting to.lean towards the flexplate, and im hoping that if it is, its only the bolts since its not too loud
Old 11-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #7
Seasoned Member

1996 Cherokee

Look in the "write up" section, someone posted how to get to the bolts, it's a matter of taking off the inspection plate and getting your hand up there and checking the bolts and or for cracks, from what I hear, the cracks can be really thin so try to get a lite up there
Old 11-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #8

1998 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1562 View Post
Look in the "write up" section, someone posted how to get to the bolts, it's a matter of taking off the inspection plate and getting your hand up there and checking the bolts and or for cracks, from what I hear, the cracks can be really thin so try to get a lite up there
Yea i was actually reading that. Seems simple enough to do, but i know ill be proved wrong when i actually try it.. Probably wont get to it for a couple weeks. In the meantime, im going to try to figure out how to get these audio files posted so you guys can hear it yourselves
Old 11-14-2013, 01:52 AM   #9
Seasoned Member

1996 Cherokee

And if you do end up doing that, please come back and share your info, 1 guy swears it's normal and the other thinks it's the bearings, but mine doesn't get louder with the Rpm's so with fingers crossed it's just the bolts being loose lol
Old 11-14-2013, 06:07 AM   #10
::Regional Moderator::

View cruiser54's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Comanche

Do this before getting off on any other tangents:

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/how...ocking-125547/

An index to over 25 helpful write-ups is in Post #1.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cruiser54s-mostly-renix-tips-153657/

Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #11

View bigbadon's Photo Album My Photos
2004 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Do this before getting off on any other tangents:

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/how...ocking-125547/
No need to put it off. It can be done in about 15 minutes. I done mine just for the heck of it.
bigbadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
CF Veteran

View DFlintstone's Photo Album My Photos
90,84 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ye Ol' Cherokee View Post
if someone could tell me how to post them to here that would be great, or f you would consider letting me email them to you so maybe you could help me
You can just make a U-Tube and post the link.... ( highly doubt mine is a Rod Btw.)

87-90 Renix jeep owners. This is a link to great info! http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f23/tes...itings-136452/
The book's wrong! #1 is at 5:00, viewed from the side. 153624 clockwise.
I RECOMMEND 280 155 746 INJECTORS, FOR YOUR 87-90 JEEP. 4 holes are better than one, and they won't leak out the middle,(like stock injectors can) THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS THERE FOR A REASON, AND IT AIN'T SQUIRREL HUNTING!

DFlintstone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #13
Rust Warrior

View PocketsEmpty's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

If it's the flexplate, you'll hear it more towards the back of the engine. If you stick your noggin under there, you'll see a plate by where the exhaust bends down right behind the oil pan. That's the flexplate. It's easy to do. I had the same issue except mine was an awful rattling, most noticeable in Park or Neutral. It would stop when I put it in drive.

Definitely good security to remove the flexplate bolts one at a time and re-torque with red loctite.

»Project CHIOBA
(Build Thread)
PocketsEmpty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 03:56 PM   #14
::Regional Moderator::

View cruiser54's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Comanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadon View Post
No need to put it off. It can be done in about 15 minutes. I done mine just for the heck of it.

Absolutely correct. Just do it.

An index to over 25 helpful write-ups is in Post #1.

http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cruiser54s-mostly-renix-tips-153657/

Refresh*Connections*Before*Replacing*Components
cruiser54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:18 PM   #15

View BlueRidgeMark's Photo Album My Photos
1994 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Absolutely correct. Just do it.

Yep. Before you wish you had done it sooner.

Just consider it as preventive maintenance, like an oil change.
BlueRidgeMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:18 PM

submit to reddit

Tags
4.0, cherokee, engine knock, engine sound, oil type
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech