Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

It keeps getting worse, please help. Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6
Default It keeps getting worse, please help. Stalling

98 4.0 160k

Long story short, you've probably seen my other posts.

I overheated bad, fixed that. Then it started running rough. Engine was checked, no engine damage. Intermittent bucking and rpm spiking. With codes p0463 and p1282. Fuel relay was checked, and isn't the cause despite the code.

Gradually got worse, ran worse, then eventually started stalling but would start right back up. Keep in mind, not consistent.

Now, I stalled out and it wouldn't start for 10 minutes. Then it started and ran like crap for a few minutes before being okay. Did this twice, got code p0320. Haven't driven since.

Compression was checked, fine
Fuel pressure was checked, fine
Fresh oil, plugs, and wires (not the cause, was replaced to attempt to fix issues.

Coolant did spew all over the pcm and other things during the overheat. Not sure is that is a factor

Any help is appreciated
Old 09-16-2015, 12:12 AM

Anyone?
Old 09-16-2015, 12:15 AM
Banned

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Crank sensor
Old 09-16-2015, 12:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Originally Posted by 93_xjcherokee
Crank sensor
x2. Went through that last month
Old 09-16-2015, 12:28 AM
Banned

Crank sensor will make your jeep run all kinds of screwy and will pull codes for things that aren't the culprit.
The following users liked this post:
BloNdeChiNeEz (06-07-2021)
Old 09-16-2015, 10:51 AM

Crank sensor will make your jeep run all kinds of screwy and will pull codes for things that aren't the culprit.
Is there a way to test the sensor to check if it's bad? I'm trying so hard to avoid dumping money into the guessing game, as this Jeep has already lost its value do to body damage.

Not that I don't trust you guys, I just want to see if I can pinpoint it
Old 09-16-2015, 10:54 AM
Banned

Buy a new one and put it in. If it works it works. If it doesn't, take it back. Lol. I don't know how to test them
The following users liked this post:
BloNdeChiNeEz (06-07-2021)
Old 09-16-2015, 11:19 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: Straight six

Originally Posted by Ye Ol' Cherokee
Anyone?
Try adding another ground from the firewall to the block....I had the same exact issues as you are having and the last thing I did was add that ground and it has ran great ever since. After you do that...jeep has to learn how to run properly again....so it might run rough at first...but it will learn its drive ability again. I know it sounds crazy...but really....I went through this same **** for 3 years! My jeep has 249000 miles on it....still runs great!
Old 09-16-2015, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Bonnie Perron
Try adding another ground from the firewall to the block....I had the same exact issues as you are having and the last thing I did was add that ground and it has ran great ever since. After you do that...jeep has to learn how to run properly again....so it might run rough at first...but it will learn its drive ability again. I know it sounds crazy...but really....I went through this same **** for 3 years! My jeep has 249000 miles on it....still runs great!
Not sure if I'm posting in the right place
Old 09-16-2015, 11:53 AM

How do you go about doing that? I've never heard of it so I have no idea what I would have to do lol
Old 09-16-2015, 11:54 AM

Buy a new one and put it in. If it works it works. If it doesn't, take it back. Lol. I don't know how to test them
Sounds good to me lol. Looks like I'll order from amazon, they always take returns
Old 09-16-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix
Default It keeps getting worse, please help. Stalling

Happened to me with the coolant issue. Pour distiller water over the areas the coolant sprayed and let it dry. (CAUTION: DONT spray with water. It will mean the water is being forced into the connections in the wires and into other important parts of the car that you don't want water. That's why you just pour). Check your distributor cap and coil. If it's running rough you might have bad connection points. When I pulled mine off there was some bead from who knows where and the connection points were corroded as the coil was rusted. If you replace the distributor cap I suggest the Gold one at Autozone because it has bronze connection points, making it more conductive of electricity so it will run better. Should come with new coil. Costed me about $35 for the cap with the coil. Check it out. And make sure you follow the spark plug wire order diagram in the green Jeep Cherokee fixing manual that you can buy at autozone too if you don't have one yet. Very useful to have for everything else.
Old 10-30-2015, 11:08 AM

Sorry it took me so long to reply....i hope you didnt give up on that jeep! Anyways you take a wire ...a fairly thick one... And add a connector piece on each end then attach with a screw to your firewall...and the other end of wire to your engine block...you can just bolt it onto your block where there is already a screw...i can send you a pic...that would probably explain it better than my words can!
Old 05-04-2019, 09:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Ignore double posting, sorry

I know this thread is old, but can you send me a pic of what you did, I'm having a similar issue and would like to try your fix.
Thanks!

Last edited by Cheapy Jeepy; 05-04-2019 at 09:11 PM. Reason: Forgot to quote
Old 05-04-2019, 09:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Pic Wanted

Sorry it took me so long to reply....i hope you didnt give up on that jeep! Anyways you take a wire ...a fairly thick one... And add a connector piece on each end then attach with a screw to your firewall...and the other end of wire to your engine block...you can just bolt it onto your block where there is already a screw...i can send you a pic...that would probably explain it better than my words can!
I know this thread is old, but can you send me a pic of what you did, I'm having a similar issue and would like to try your fix.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: It keeps getting worse, please help. Stalling