Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Just bought a 2001 xj classic need some help

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 05:05 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Just bought a 2001 xj classic need some help

I just bought a 2001 xj Classic with 120k one owner and I'm having a few problems. First my hvac controls do not switch anything they only blow out the defroster, I had this issue on my other xj and it was the connection from the vacuum ball in the fender what else could it be? Another issue is my check gauges light comes on and goes off when I'm sitting still or extended idle I just have it a fresh oil change so I know it's not that, once again same problem on my previous xj and it was the oil pressure sensor is there a way to test it before I just buy one? Thanks for the help in advance
Old 08-18-2015, 05:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

The AC issue is a vacuum leak.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by toasterknight
The AC issue is a vacuum leak.
Where do you think it could be leaking from
Old 08-18-2015, 10:05 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

You are gonna have to go threw every vacuum line to find the leak...
Old 08-18-2015, 10:48 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

You could try putting some smoke through the vacuum lines to find your leak.

Regarding the check gauges light, which one is reading outside of normal? The gauge light comes on when the temp is high, the oil pressure is low or the voltage has gone wrong.
Old 08-19-2015, 06:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Here's some pics of the vacuum system in the engine bay. Some pics are of older model XJ's.

Click the pic to make it larger.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/g/album/3212409
Old 08-19-2015, 08:55 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by extrashaky
You could try putting some smoke through the vacuum lines to find your leak. Regarding the check gauges light, which one is reading outside of normal? The gauge light comes on when the temp is high, the oil pressure is low or the voltage has gone wrong.
Oil pressure gauge drops
Old 08-20-2015, 03:34 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by steven72192
Oil pressure gauge drops
Originally Posted by steven72192
Another issue is my check gauges light comes on and goes off when I'm sitting still or extended idle I just have it a fresh oil change so I know it's not that...
Just because you have fresh oil in the engine does not mean you don't have low oil pressure. It's not the oil that creates oil pressure. The oil pump moves oil through the engine. When the oil encounters back pressure at the cam bearings, pressure is created. If the pump is not pushing forward enough, or the bearings are not pushing back enough, you won't have oil pressure, and your engine will not be lubricated properly. Obstructions elsewhere in the system can cause problems also.

However, before you go worrying about that, you should verify that you actually have low pressure and are not getting a false reading at the gauge. You'll need to pick up a mechanical oil pressure gauge. You can get a pretty nice one at Harbor Freight for $25 (less with one of their 20% off coupons). You simply unscrew the oil pressure sender and plug in the mechanical gauge in its place, then read it. You should read it when the engine is hot.

If the oil pressure reads normal on the mechanical gauge, you probably have a bad oil pressure sender. The oil pressure senders on these trucks frequently go out, and they are typically made so that they fail in the low direction to freak you out so you'll get it fixed. Replace it with a genuine Mopar sender from the dealer. Yes, it will cost more than an aftermarket sender from O'Reilladvanceautozone, but it will be much more reliable.

If the manual gauge confirms that you have low oil pressure, you have bigger problems. But don't assume either way until you have verified your pressure with a mechanical gauge.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:00 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by extrashaky
Just because you have fresh oil in the engine does not mean you don't have low oil pressure. It's not the oil that creates oil pressure. The oil pump moves oil through the engine. When the oil encounters back pressure at the cam bearings, pressure is created. If the pump is not pushing forward enough, or the bearings are not pushing back enough, you won't have oil pressure, and your engine will not be lubricated properly. Obstructions elsewhere in the system can cause problems also. However, before you go worrying about that, you should verify that you actually have low pressure and are not getting a false reading at the gauge. You'll need to pick up a mechanical oil pressure gauge. You can get a pretty nice one at Harbor Freight for $25 (less with one of their 20% off coupons). You simply unscrew the oil pressure sender and plug in the mechanical gauge in its place, then read it. You should read it when the engine is hot. If the oil pressure reads normal on the mechanical gauge, you probably have a bad oil pressure sender. The oil pressure senders on these trucks frequently go out, and they are typically made so that they fail in the low direction to freak you out so you'll get it fixed. Replace it with a genuine Mopar sender from the dealer. Yes, it will cost more than an aftermarket sender from O'Reilladvanceautozone, but it will be much more reliable. If the manual gauge confirms that you have low oil pressure, you have bigger problems. But don't assume either way until you have verified your pressure with a mechanical gauge.
Thank you very much I will grab one of those gauges from harbor freight and give it a try
Old 08-20-2015, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Anyone ever put a mechanical gauge in the engine bay?