Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Won't Start

Old 04-13-2014, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Won't Start

On the way over to my parents today, my Cherokee stalled out on the highway. I had to give it some gas to start it back up. I didn't think much of it...

But when I went to leave my parents house, the Jeep would not start at all. It's cranking but won't fire. Smells like fuel.

I also must add that I've had trouble starting it for the past month. It wouldn't fire the first time I turned the key. But it would always fire the second time till now.

Bad cps, fuel pump relay?

Old 04-13-2014, 12:34 AM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L

I'd start with checking for spark and fuel. My guess is you'll one of them absent. Compression is the third thing you need, but if you're missing fuel or spark, then you could hold off on the compression test and focus on what is missing from the spark or fuel. If you're missing spark, the CPS is always a good suspect but could also be a number of other things, so don't go throwing money at it just yet. If you have no fuel pressure, listen for the pump when you first turn the key. If its not working, could be as simple as a fuse, or might be time for a new pump, but find out what you're missing first.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:44 AM

thanks foreveryoung! I will do the fuel pump test. If that's it, it's the relay since my fuel pump is new. If it isn't the relay it must be lacking a spark. Compression is good.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:28 AM

I am having the same issue with my 1989 Jeep it has plenty of cranking power but takes for ever to start. I also have the fuel smell once it starts it is smooth running it is just frustrating trying to get it to start and after it sits for awhile it is the same thing all over again. I just did new plugs and cap and rotor also did a fuel check and the fuel pressure is where it should be. I can hear the fuel pump kit in. I don't know what to do I just want to be able to get in my jump start it and go.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:49 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 straight 6

Just wanted to throw this out there....just because the fuel pump is new doesn't meen its not the issue. If you dont have one...most auto parts places will rent you a fuel pressure test gage. Testing your fuel pressure at the fuel rail is easy. Im sure with a little research on here you could find your xjs correct fuel pressure. My 97 xj is 49 psi plus or minus 5. Another thing to consider is your pressure regulator. Was that replaced when the pump was? Also when you check your spark....make sure you have a bright blue spark....without this you may not have enough spark to lite the fire so to speak.