Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 04-28-2010, 05:50 PM   #1

View DaRock's Photo Album My Photos
2001 Cherokee
Thumbs up Jeep ECU Reset Procedure

Home Quadratec Knowledge Center

Jeep Electronic Control Unit Reset

When installing new power or performance accessories how does the computer for the Jeep know that it has a new accessory? Most of the time the computer does not. The computer would need to be reset to take full potential of the performance accessories you have added.

The Electronic Control Module, or ECU as its commonly called, stores the information for your vehicle and your driving habits in its memory. The memory is maintaned by a series of capacitors that hold a charge and maintain power for the ECU when the vehicle is turned off. The following procedure will allow you to reset the memory and allow the computer to 're-learn' how to drive by adjusting to the drivers habits and the vehicles modifications.

1. Disconnect the battery by removing the positive battery cable. Remember, the positive battery cable.

2. Ground the positive cable to the negative cable for 30 seconds to erase the electric charge in the capacitors.

3. Reconnect the positive cable to the battery.

4. Turn the key to on but do not start.

5. Turn the headlights on.

6. Turn the headlights off.

7. Turn the key off.

The ECU has now been reset to its factory settings. For the next 50 warm-up periods the ECU will re-learn the engine and driving habits for your driving conditions and the newly installed parts.
DaRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 05:54 PM   #2

View Beer's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Cherokee

Or just disconnect the negative battery cable, hold down the brakes for a few seconds, and then reconnect negative battery cable. It does the same thing, the ECU resets itself and for the next 50 warm up periods it will relearn everything.
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:13 PM   #3

View SRT-10Jeep's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer View Post
Or just disconnect the negative battery cable, hold down the brakes for a few seconds, and then reconnect negative battery cable. It does the same thing, the ECU resets itself and for the next 50 warm up periods it will relearn everything.
How does this work?
Old 07-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #4

View gardnern99's Photo Album My Photos
1991 Cherokee

I am already averaging about 18.5 mpg in my '91 Cherokee(227,000 miles). I put new plugs/wires in about 5000 miles ago and made an exhaust modification. Is it necessary for me to reset the ECU?
gardnern99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
CF Veteran

View VTJeep's Photo Album My Photos
99 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardnern99
I am already averaging about 18.5 mpg in my '91 Cherokee(227,000 miles). I put new plugs/wires in about 5000 miles ago and made an exhaust modification. Is it necessary for me to reset the ECU?
No. You didn't increase the air-fuel-spark ratio, so no need for computer to do anything different. And even if your exhaust is more "free flowing", there is still no increase in intake volume, so nothing really changes except (potentially) back pressure. Which, if you remove too much back pressure without increasing intake volume, your performance will suffer..

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part...

Chances are I just gave you my two Lincolns. Take it or leave it.
VTJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 10:48 AM   #6

View KJamesJR's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

You'll need to see a mechanic or dealer for a "deep reset" however. If this were your average computer... This technique more or less "clears the cache".

I had to do this after installing my CPS. Tried this technique and it just made it run worse.
KJamesJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 11:41 AM   #7
::CF Moderator::

View Gee oh Dee's Photo Album My Photos
1987 Cherokee

"Build" thread:
http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/pro...herokee-58248/

"...To ride a motorcycle well is like making the choice to live in this world and the next simultaneously; It is to carelessly play with hell's devils and God's angels together because anything less would be, to the moto-enthusiast, to do nothing at all..."
Gee oh Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #8
Seasoned Member

View Kalali's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJamesJR View Post
You'll need to see a mechanic or dealer for a "deep reset" however. If this were your average computer... This technique more or less "clears the cache".

I had to do this after installing my CPS. Tried this technique and it just made it run worse.
You mean it made run worse than before changing the CPS? Could you elaborate?
Kalali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:03 PM   #9
CF Veteran

View DFlintstone's Photo Album My Photos
90,84 Cherokee

I've seen posted you might just leave it disconnected overnight to "let the capacitors bleed down". No idea myself except it sounds easy and harmless.

Yea^, never heard if trying to clear anything because of the cps....

87-90 Renix jeep owners. This is a link to great info! http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f23/tes...itings-136452/
The book's wrong! #1 is at 5:00, viewed from the side. 153624 clockwise.
I RECOMMEND 280 155 746 INJECTORS, FOR YOUR 87-90 JEEP. 4 holes are better than one, and they won't leak out the middle,(like stock injectors can) THE SECOND AMENDMENT IS THERE FOR A REASON, AND IT AIN'T SQUIRREL HUNTING!

DFlintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2012, 12:03 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech