Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Dead, Need Help if Possible

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2016, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep Dead, Need Help if Possible

Bought a used 01 Cherokee Sport about a week ago. The whole Craigslist thing, I should have known better. So I test drove this thing and all for three days, went through it, had it looked at and just thought even though it had high miles(175k) that I could not turn it down for the price. So I bought it, well during this time frame I noticed that the Oil pressure gauge was showing low pressure. The pressure would show about 40ish psi during start up then go on down to 13psi when hot. After much research on the Forum and other websites. I came to the conclusion it was the Oil Pressure Sending unit. Went and bout a new one, put it on there. Same issue continued. Waited two days and called around to Napa and guy there said if it wasnt that to go ahead and get a new switch. I ordered the switch, Same day I ordered switch...Going down the interstate I seized the engine. Apparently, oil pump was broken this explains the low oil pressure, dip stick was showing correct oil level but engine was not getting the lubrication it needed. Now the engine is seized and no good. I could use some advice, Overhaul or Buy a used one? If a used one any one got any tips on where to go or who to talk to? I live in Chattanooga, TN. Any Advice would sure be appreciated. Tried to cover everything but if you have any questions please ask away, any advice at all(even about how stupid I am) then please leave it.

Last edited by preep; 09-11-2016 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 09-12-2016, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

When you say "seized" do you mean a lump of metal, fit only to be used as a boat anchor, or will it turn with the aid of a breaker bar on the main pulley nut?
If it can still turn, then you have options.
Pull the motor, and tear it down. See what damage you have, then go from there.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I've not spent much time under the hood of cars growing up. I did attempt to turn the crankshaft, it wont turn. I believe it is only fit for an anchor. Looking at replacing the engine now. Any tips to doing so, or things I should maybe avoid? I bought my first car ever then a week later I am looking to replace the engine, any advice will be greatly appreciated. Rod didnt go through the oil pan but you can see here that it appears as if something attempted too.
Attached Thumbnails Jeep Dead, Need Help if Possible-20160912_130951.jpg  
Old 09-13-2016, 04:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Originally Posted by preep
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I've not spent much time under the hood of cars growing up. I did attempt to turn the crankshaft, it wont turn. I believe it is only fit for an anchor. Looking at replacing the engine now. Any tips to doing so, or things I should maybe avoid? I bought my first car ever then a week later I am looking to replace the engine, any advice will be greatly appreciated. Rod didnt go through the oil pan but you can see here that it appears as if something attempted too.
That's as bad as it gets. Boat anchor. Sorry mate.

If it makes you feel any better, once I was changing my father in law's oil on 9 dodge delivery trucks he owned and forgot to add oil to the last one I did. It made it to the interstate about a mile away and seized up solid.
Old 09-13-2016, 07:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Maybe not too bad $$ wise.
first order of business is get a shop manual of some kind. Haynes, Chiltons, etc.
Get a decent set of tools. Pull the motor, tear it down, and see if the head is in good shape. If everything IS good, just look for a shortblock. Or save yourself a bit of aggravation, and locate a complete used motor from a known running donor. Craigslist, offerup, sites like that.

Last edited by Scott'sXJ; 09-13-2016 at 07:12 PM.