Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Head Gasket Not Matching my 93 Head holes

Old 11-25-2015, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Thumbs down Jeep Cherokee 4.0 Head Gasket Not Matching my 93 Head holes

Good Day!

I have a 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport 4.0. which I had to replace the head, and was placing the head gasket on to match up the holes and found that the head gasket doesn't have holes where my head has holes.

I found this image to show the difference between the OEM Head Gasket and the FELPRO that seems to be the only gasket available for purchase for the the Jeep 4.0 head.

Am I not able to get an OEM head gasket for a 93 Cherokee Sport any more?
Attached Images  
Old 11-25-2015, 11:33 AM

Your new gasket looks correct to me. I just did a head on a 96 and replaced the 0630 head with a 0720, which all those holes are the same anyway. I don't think my oem gasket had all the extra holes though, maybe they changed that.

Here's a link I found where they actually filled in the holes with JB weld since they aren't needed.

The coolant flows through the engine block to the back and then enters the head and flows back towards the front to get back into the radiator.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:45 PM

The new 'BLUE" gasket pictured is the only replacement that I'm able to get. While both my head and my block have 2-4 triangle holes where the new gasket doesn't.

I saw the post where the JB Weld was used to block off the holes in the head because his 4.2 block doesn't have the holes. Mine does. My concern is that I may blow the gasket if I just put the gasket that doesn't have holes where my block and head has holes. This just caught be by surprise, I thought that the gasket would match my original gasket, and it does not.

Does this mean I should fill those holes in on my block? There are 2 to 3 triangle holes around the circle hole and another triangle hole on the other sided of the cylinder. In all there are 21 holes that the gasket doesn't have. Should I fill these holes in on the head to avoid blowing the gasket?