Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:04 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Instrument Cluster, No Working Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L I6 MPI
Default Instrument Cluster, No Working Gauges

So I drove 3 hours back from Chicago last Monday and 13 miles into my drive, the entire instrument cluster just stopped working. All of the gauges went to zero and both the odometer and trip odometer froze. I've been busy all week so this was the first chance that I had to take an actual look at it. The jeep drives great but I have no idea what is going on under the hood while I'm on the road. I ran the instrument cluster diagnostic that I've seen posted before (hold trip odo, turn ignition to run, release odo) and that passed with all gauges working, so the issue must be between the body computer and the cluster. I'm thinking that it might me a bad CCD but I'm not sure. does anyone have any other ideas or diagnostics that I can try before I take it to a mechanic? Btw, it is a 1997 Cherokee Country 4x4, 4.0 L.
Old 04-17-2011, 07:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

This happened to me a few months ago take the gauge cluster out and clean the two terminals behind it and when installing put the key in the on position and push it in until it works and screw it back on
Old 04-17-2011, 07:56 PM

Push what back in until it works: the gauges or the key? So your instrument cluster was able to pass the diagnostic test and how exactly do you pop the cluster out?
Old 04-17-2011, 08:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by gtcochran
Push what back in until it works: the gauges or the key? So your instrument cluster was able to pass the diagnostic test and how exactly do you pop the cluster out?
To run the cluster self diagnostic test, push and hold the trip/reset button then turn the key to the on position and let go once you see said test commence. The lights and needles will perform a nice little show for you if all is well.

To get the cluster out you gotta take off the kick panel beneath the steering column, remove the metal plate behind it, as well as some other stuff -- like removing the center dash bezel and unpopping the bezel directly above the cluster. Get a nice fat head phillips head.

Like many say, google is your friend. If you having trouble post again.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:08 PM

I've already run the test and everything seemed to pass. I'll check the connectors when I get a second. Is there any way that it could be the CCD? It seems to me that if the issue was with the connectors then the diagnostic test would have not passed.
The following users liked this post:
Thomas Hill (04-12-2021)
Old 04-17-2011, 09:32 PM

pretty sure the data bus communicates with cluster during diag. anyone confirm that?

maybe this is temperature dependent once you get going.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:42 PM
Old Skewl CF like a Sir

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L High Output OBDII

^^ I'm not so sure. I had a PT Cruiser that'd self test fine, but would randomly loose communication. I'm not 100% sure, but if the cleaning doesn't work, I'd lean towards comm. issues.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:57 PM

So yeah, the gauges just magically came on. Was going to take them out tonight and now they work. Pretty sure that the issue was either bad wiring or the dirty connectors. Guess all of the components actually work, just couldn't let the computer know that.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:04 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

Take off the console peice around the radio and theres around 4 or 5 philips head bolts to take the top part of the dash off. Remove the bottom plastic kick panel under the steering wheel by your knees then remove the metal plate and the dash you will see philips head bolts holding it in remove those and it pulls right out.
My cluster dies every few months i cleaned the connectors with Q tips this time. Put the key in the on position ( Right before run dont start it ) and push the dash cluster back in until all the gauges work again then repeat the process to reinstall everything.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by 99 Purple XJ
Take off the console peice around the radio and theres around 4 or 5 philips head bolts to take the top part of the dash off. Remove the bottom plastic kick panel under the steering wheel by your knees then remove the metal plate and the dash you will see philips head bolts holding it in remove those and it pulls right out.
My cluster dies every few months i cleaned the connectors with Q tips this time. Put the key in the on position ( Right before run dont start it ) and push the dash cluster back in until all the gauges work again then repeat the process to reinstall everything.
Sounds a bit annoying. I'll give it try. so yours gets dirty enough to fail every few months? That sucks. You try using any dielectric or sealing the connectors?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:52 PM

So I finally got around to taking my instrument panel apart and I could not find anything wrong. I tool the entire instrument cluster apart, all the way down to the PCB, and I could not find a single issue. The connectors looked great and there seemed to be no short in the wires running from the instrument cluster. But the issue still persists and I have no working gauges. The back lights still work and the blinker lights work as well. Does anyone else have any other ideas of what might be the issue?
Old 05-08-2011, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 HO

Originally Posted by gtcochran
So I finally got around to taking my instrument panel apart and I could not find anything wrong. I tool the entire instrument cluster apart, all the way down to the PCB, and I could not find a single issue. The connectors looked great and there seemed to be no short in the wires running from the instrument cluster. But the issue still persists and I have no working gauges. The back lights still work and the blinker lights work as well. Does anyone else have any other ideas of what might be the issue?
Just curious have you checked you battery terminals and make sure they are on tight especially the black. Others here might say I'm crazy but I have my chevy work van same thing happened I cleaned my battery terminals and it didn't happen again. I've also heard people say a bad fuel meter could cause it do t know how true that is though
Old 08-17-2011, 04:35 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 MPI HO
Default dash: electrical problems suck

I drove without my dash working at all. no gas gauge no spedo or tach. i checked all my fuses (which i do with any electrical problems)and there wasnt even a fuse in the interior fuse spot (#9)for my dash. i cleaned my battery terminals. and it was fixed. dont know if that helps you. but hopefully.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:02 PM

Year: 2000
Default Instrument Cluster Not Working

Please forgive me if I am posting to the wrong thread, this is my first post.

I am having issues with my instrument cluster. I replaced my heater core on my 2000 cherokee sport, and when I put the dash back together, my gauges no longer worked. This is were it gets weird. If I start my jeep with the dome light on (head light switch clicked over to dome light) my instruments work, but as soon as I turn the dome light off the instrument cluster stops working. I am guessing it is an electrical problem, but i have yet to find the issue. Any insight would be helpful. If you think its a ground, could you direct me on which ground to start with. Im going on day 3 of this project.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2013, 07:40 PM

Your 2000 sounds like my 98. I have not figured it out yet also.

Check all your fuses first. There is more than one fuse running

the instrument cluster... I think, # 6,9, & 12. and several other sources....
Attached Thumbnails Instrument Cluster, No Working Gauges-1997-up.jpg  

Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster, No Working Gauges