Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Installed thermostat in 89 cherokee wont open no heat

Old 11-08-2010, 01:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 straight 6
Default Installed thermostat in 89 cherokee wont open no heat

Ive just replaced the thermostat in my 89 it seemed like it was burping air out when i had ran it i got it pretty hot seemed like the thermostat wouldent open. Some of the coolant went down out of my plastic bottle but barely any. It sounded like alil air was coming out and some fluid was pissing out through the cap. My heat also dont seem to be blowing anything out sept cold air. The thermostat i purchased is a mr gasket balanced thermostat 195f i purchased this as it was the best brand the parts store had. I would assume it should work no problem it dont say on it anything fancy like racing. however it dident seem as open as the old thermo more sealed. What am i doing wrong i ran the motor till it was redlined almost and my plastic bottle dident go down almost like barley any of it sucked out of the bottle. At most it would **** out the plastic cap here and there. Wahst also funny is the old thermo seemed like it had a hole drilled out on one side this new one dident have that.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Well after sitting for awhile the coolant draind out the bottle so ill pick up more and add some more hopefully it should come around after this
Old 11-25-2010, 01:27 PM
Seasoned Member

My heat is like luke warm where as before i replaced my thermo it seemed really warm almost hot any ideas as to why its not so warm anymore?? could it just be from the fact it was getting hot before that the heat was warmer??