Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Inside the old Fuel Filter...pics :)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2009, 07:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Talking Inside the old Fuel Filter...pics :)

So as I have no history of my jeep and it's over 200K I've decided to put new fuel filter in. And after I did, the curiosity started eating me, as what's inside, as it was noted that there's no really way to know if the filter ok or how bad it is just by looking at it
So I went ahead and cut its skull, which was not so easy, btw. So now I know, sort of ...well, it was pretty damn rusty. I am attaching pictures, just for hey of it and in case somebody may be interested to see how an old fuel filter may look inside
Attached Thumbnails Inside the old Fuel Filter...pics :)-old_fuel_filter_1.jpg   Inside the old Fuel Filter...pics :)-old_fuel_filter_2.jpg   Inside the old Fuel Filter...pics :)-old_fuel_filter_3.jpg   Inside the old Fuel Filter...pics :)-old_fuel_filter_4.jpg  
Old 11-13-2009, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

how many miles on that filter?
Old 11-13-2009, 08:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001

Were you having issues with the filter?
Old 11-13-2009, 09:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1992 2dr Sport 2wd & 1992 4dr Laredo 4x4
Engine: 4.0 liter H.O.
Cool

After looking at that I'm gonna install the fuel filter I bought 2 years ago......
Old 11-13-2009, 09:26 PM
CF Veteran

Wow. Looks pretty cruddy to me. Just curios how tough of a job was it and about how long did it take? I am guessing this is the one from inside the tank?
Old 11-13-2009, 10:00 PM
CF Veteran

Dude thats nothing, when I changed my fuel filter...no lie a brown sludge came out of the back of it. I think its still sitting around here somewhere. If it is i'll cut it open for everyone's viewing pleasure
Old 11-13-2009, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

makes me want to go change mine right now
Old 11-13-2009, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's the first item on the list for my 89. I have 0 fuel pressure at the fuel rail but the pump is running. Start with the small stuff.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990 Renix
Engine: 4.0L

can you post a pic of where it is on the truck? I have replaced some on different trucks and they are is different places..

thanks much
Old 11-13-2009, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

I'd recommend replacing the fuel filter and the pre-filter and putting new hoses on the pump inside the tank. On my 91 the pre-filter was completely clogged with silt and the hoses on the pump inside the tank were pretty much shot.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:37 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by trapper
can you post a pic of where it is on the truck? I have replaced some on different trucks and they are is different places..

thanks much

On your 91 it will be on the inside of the frame rail on the driverside just in front of the fuel tank.
Old 11-13-2009, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by winston427
On your 91 it will be on the inside of the frame rail on the driverside just in front of the fuel tank.
yep, its almost directly over the rear axel.
Old 11-13-2009, 11:13 PM

Engine: 4.0L I6

Hi, guys, was away from computer ....i'm back
OK, ....
First I have no idea how many miles on that filter, as I have no clue about anything ...no history, the guy I've got the jeep was not original owner and had it for a short period, so he didn't know anything, nor I really care to dig, as it would not be a "relyable info anyway.... so I am going through the machine "block by block" sort of speak, trying to cover what I am guessing would be a priority..hah hah, I wish I knew clearly .... so guessing that's all I've got
Now I'd say the reason for why I've got so curious about it was because I didn't know how old the filter was, so after I replaced it I wanted to know what have I done, did I do "right" or did I just replace a perfectly fine filter? . And secondary I just wanted to know what's inside.
The filter was kinda rusty outside and the bracket and the mounting screw were really badly rusted - those are not really a cleare evidence of being old/bad, but I didn't like what I saw and I've decided to change it "preventively".
Was I having issues with the filter? hmmmm, that's a good question. But It's hard to tell... nothing major in your face. I didn't analyse (huh, that is not to say that I knew how to ...lol)... I only can gues what dirty filter may affect something performance wise, but the truck was running ok.

Now to the point from ZachsXJ's post. When I was removing the old one, first I disconnected the "OUT" pipe and drained the fuel from the filter into the pan, the fuel there was pretty clear. But then when I disconnected the "IN" pipe and drained some left over from there - the fuel was somewhat like ice-tea color, not too muddy or something like coffe ...
So I guess the filter in such condition still was doing its work at least to a point. Now, I don't want to draw any conclusions here, realy, as I don't really know what I am talking about... it's just what I have from this "experience". I would imagine that dirty filter like that may "apply" more resistance to the fuel flow, would it make pump work harder than it should (or say could) ????, also it may not filter-out the crap from the fuel as good as new/clean one would(???)...that "paper" is pretty oily to touch and is kind of hard and solid. Now, I have never opened a brand new filter...so I don't know how it should be so I could compare maby heh heh ...LOL
Q: "Just curios how tough of a job was it and about how long did it take?"
Which job?
Do you mean to replace the filter or to cut one open?
To replace this type of filter I'd say is one of the easiest things to do.

To cut the fiter was a bit of a PITA, I must say, especially since it was very dificult to justify why on earth am I doing this ...

Q: "I am guessing this is the one from inside the tank? "
No, this is in-line filter (mine jeep is '96). The filter is "hanging in" in the fuel line, between the hose from the pump(in the gass tank) and the steel line. So it's an easy target
Old 11-13-2009, 11:24 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Dr ZEE
Hi, guys, was away from computer ....i'm back
OK, ....
First I have no idea how many miles on that filter, as I have no clue about anything ...no history, the guy I've got the jeep was not original owner and had it for a short period, so he didn't know anything, nor I really care to dig, as it would not be a "relyable info anyway.... so I am going through the machine "block by block" sort of speak, trying to cover what I am guessing would be a priority..hah hah, I wish I knew clearly .... so guessing that's all I've got
Now I'd say the reason for why I've got so curious about it was because I didn't know how old the filter was, so after I replaced it I wanted to know what have I done, did I do "right" or did I just replace a perfectly fine filter? . And secondary I just wanted to know what's inside.
The filter was kinda rusty outside and the bracket and the mounting screw were really badly rusted - those are not really a cleare evidence of being old/bad, but I didn't like what I saw and I've decided to change it "preventively".
Was I having issues with the filter? hmmmm, that's a good question. But It's hard to tell... nothing major in your face. I didn't analyse (huh, that is not to say that I knew how to ...lol)... I only can gues what dirty filter may affect something performance wise, but the truck was running ok.

Now to the point from ZachsXJ's post. When I was removing the old one, first I disconnected the "OUT" pipe and drained the fuel from the filter into the pan, the fuel there was pretty clear. But then when I disconnected the "IN" pipe and drained some left over from there - the fuel was somewhat like ice-tea color, not too muddy or something like coffe ...
So I guess the filter in such condition still was doing its work at least to a point. Now, I don't want to draw any conclusions here, realy, as I don't really know what I am talking about... it's just what I have from this "experience". I would imagine that dirty filter like that may "apply" more resistance to the fuel flow, would it make pump work harder than it should (or say could) ????, also it may not filter-out the crap from the fuel as good as new/clean one would(???)...that "paper" is pretty oily to touch and is kind of hard and solid. Now, I have never opened a brand new filter...so I don't know how it should be so I could compare maby heh heh ...LOL
Q: "Just curios how tough of a job was it and about how long did it take?"
Which job?
Do you mean to replace the filter or to cut one open?
To replace this type of filter I'd say is one of the easiest things to do.

To cut the fiter was a bit of a PITA, I must say, especially since it was very dificult to justify why on earth am I doing this ...

Q: "I am guessing this is the one from inside the tank? "
No, this is in-line filter (mine jeep is '96). The filter is "hanging in" in the fuel line, between the hose from the pump(in the gass tank) and the steel line. So it's an easy target
There are actually TWO filters in the fuel system. There is the inline filter which is the one you replaced and the subject of this thread. The other filter is actually a sock that goes on the inlet of the fuel pump, it filters out all the large particles that could damage the pump. I had an issue with mine where the pre-filter sock was clogged with all kinds of dirt and preventing the pump from pushing enough fuel for the engine to run properly and thus caused a lean condition
Old 11-13-2009, 11:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder what mine would look like... Its a 89 and I dont know if the filter has ever been changed. Apparently the PO knew how to change diff fluid, but not how to check/change oil, when I got it it was 2 qts low... Anyway, the only place I can really get filters around here is walmart, and all they sell it FRAM, I know fram oil filters are a nono, but what about the fuel filters?

Quick Reply: Inside the old Fuel Filter...pics :)