Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Immobiliser problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 09:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Immobiliser problems

Hi to all you guys. . This is another of those questions regarding the dreded alarms so appologies to start with. Heres the story so far.
My car is a 97 xj 2.5 petrol with 69000 miles on it. 4 weeks ago the interior light was left on for 2 days and when I went to start it the key fob wouldn't work. The battery was charged but no joy. The fob would lock the doors but not unlock them. A new battery was bought but still no joy. Tha car was trailered into the jeep main dealers and they have managed to fix the fob and it will now unlock the doors. 2 weeks later the main dealers are sayin they don't know what's wrong . It looks like I am gonna have to scrap the car. Nightmare trouble.
Old 06-22-2012, 09:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Renix 4.0

Originally Posted by ollylovesjeeps
Hi to all you guys. . This is another of those questions regarding the dreded alarms so appologies to start with. Heres the story so far.
My car is a 97 xj 2.5 petrol with 69000 miles on it. 4 weeks ago the interior light was left on for 2 days and when I went to start it the key fob wouldn't work. The battery was charged but no joy. The fob would lock the doors but not unlock them. A new battery was bought but still no joy. Tha car was trailered into the jeep main dealers and they have managed to fix the fob and it will now unlock the doors. 2 weeks later the main dealers are sayin they don't know what's wrong . It looks like I am gonna have to scrap the car. Nightmare trouble.
So the security system won't let you use your keys?
Old 06-22-2012, 01:46 PM

Yep the key fob opens doors and locks doors fine but when you put key in ignition the car starts no probs but after 2,3 seconds the car stops. Apparently there is a rolling code generated and the dealer has no idea how to recover this. It's a scofield alarm. And also Jeep in their wisdom will not open files on cars older than ten years. Which is nice of them
Old 06-22-2012, 02:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

UK-Spec?
Those things are tied right into the PCM. Runs a few seconds then kills the fuel pump if the remote signal doesn't match what it has stored. And it's mandatory.

The fix is to delete the whole mess including a non-UK spec PCM, or to send the module + remotes back to the Manufacturer. Might try contacting them for other options.
www.may-scofield.co.uk
Old 06-22-2012, 03:40 PM

Yeh I think that might be the solution. Had a look online . Emailed the dealer a link to scofield alarms for him to try. Cheers for the info on this. My car is a good one except for this problem. Hope it's not expensive tho
Old 06-29-2012, 11:42 AM

A little update on the alarm trouble. The car is still in the main dealers. It's still a no go. May and scofield have advised on there alarm system but no joy. Looks like the car is a dead xj after all. A perfect car killed by a tiny problem . Bummer
Old 06-29-2012, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

A little update on the alarm trouble. The car is still in the main dealers. It's still a no go. May and scofield have advised on there alarm system but no joy. Looks like the car is a dead xj after all. A perfect car killed by a tiny problem . Bummer
That's amazing that they cannot reset the immobilizer. What is the issue preventing them from fixing it?
Old 06-29-2012, 02:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Renix 4.0

What about putting a different ECU in that doesn't have the alarm?
Old 06-30-2012, 01:55 PM

Not sure why it can't be reset. They have tried to say that the auto electrician has 'done something' when he tried to reset the system. I think a new ECU unit would cost well over £1000 pounds and also all these xjs from 94 to 98 an alarm is programmed into it , correct me if I'm wrong. I've looked at lots of threads regarding this problem. Its still in the dealers now.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:53 PM
CF Veteran

all these xjs from 94 to 98 an alarm is programmed into it , correct me if I'm wrong. I've looked at lots of threads regarding this problem. Its still in the dealers now.
I believe the immobilizer is required in the UK (since 1995), and against the law for a shop to disable it. I don't think you'll find a PCM without it over there.
You'd have to have one shipped from the US or Canada, or someplace else without the immobilizer requirement.
Old 07-02-2012, 01:24 AM

Yeh I think it could be a problem. A great car too but it could prove too expensive. I will wait and see what the dealer comes up with over the next few days. Cheers for the info.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Yeh I think it could be a problem. A great car too but it could prove too expensive. I will wait and see what the dealer comes up with over the next few days. Cheers for the info.
Another update. Car still in dealer. They have been waiting on info from alarm manufacturer. Can't believe it. Still no further forward
Old 07-14-2012, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

Another update. Car still in dealer. They have been waiting on info from alarm manufacturer. Can't believe it. Still no further forward
I hope you have something else to drive in the meantime!
Old 07-15-2012, 03:53 AM

Originally Posted by Radi

I hope you have something else to drive in the meantime!
Yep I have my bike. But the jeep is missed big time.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

id just find a pcm from the states , pay somebody on the forum to go find one and ship it to you. i have one for the 4.0 but not a 2.5

Quick Reply: Immobiliser problems