Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I think I found it?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 04:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default I think I found it?

I've been having this weird misfire/hesitation/stutter thing for the past week. My first thought was that the station I filled up at had water in their tanks since it started as I left the station and it had been raining pretty hard the day before. I ran the tank [almost] completely empty and filled up but I was still having this intermittent problem. Sometimes, it would only start on 5 cylinders and run very rough for a few minutes, other times it would just have a little hiccup as I was cruising along the freeway.

Today, I found this...

I wonder if that could be the cause of my 5 cylinder Jeep? Anyway, I fixed it, I think, but have a question. I stripped the plug wire back and never actually found metal. All I could find was this glass fiber core. Is it possible that there isn't a metal conductor in my spark plug wire? Seemed weird but I re-crimped everything, folding that glass fiber back and it seems to be working fine now.

Last edited by F1Addict; 04-07-2012 at 06:07 PM.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000

yeah, but i'd get new wires.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by caged
yeah, but i'd get new wires.
Yeah, my injector is leaking again, hoses are dripping cooling juice, tires are getting bald, leafs are sagging, brake lines are weathered, bushings are floppy... blah blah blah... Add wires to the list
Old 04-07-2012, 06:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Yeah! I think I would fix the fuel leak and the plug wires first. Without ether of those you won't be going anywhere.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999

a yea...I think you should spring for new wires. Stay away from the cheap sets; they're junk.

How about the rest of the tuneup hardware? Plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter??
Old 04-07-2012, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Plug wires don't have actual "wire" in them. The core is usually made of a carbon mixture.
Folding the core back and re-crimping the end over it is a good field fix and will work ok but new wires are in order.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:23 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
Yeah! I think I would fix the fuel leak and the plug wires first. Without ether of those you won't be going anywhere.

Fuel leak and arcing plug wire. You may be going somewhere. BOOM!
Old 04-07-2012, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by tjwalker
a yea...I think you should spring for new wires. Stay away from the cheap sets; they're junk.

How about the rest of the tuneup hardware? Plugs, cap, rotor, fuel filter, air filter??
As soon as I can afford it I'll be getting a set of Accel 5000s, along with new injectors (from the folks Cruiser directed me to), new brake lines, and new leaf packs.

I replaced my fuel and air filter about four months ago and was going to replace my plugs and cap and rotor but inspected them only to find they were in perfect condition. I have new plugs and an OEM cap and rotor but I'll hold on to them until they're needed.

Originally Posted by ETexas XJ
Plug wires don't have actual "wire" in them. The core is usually made of a carbon mixture.
Folding the core back and re-crimping the end over it is a good field fix and will work ok but new wires are in order.
Five of the six plug wires are in perfect condition, it's just the one (#6) that is having issues. I knew when I pulled it that a new one would be optimal but just can't afford it right now. My temp-fix seems to be working, I drove it a bit this afternoon and there's no sign of the symptoms I was experiencing before.

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Fuel leak and arcing plug wire. You may be going somewhere. BOOM!
I like to go big.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:52 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by F1Addict
As soon as I can afford it I'll be getting a set of Accel 5000s, along with new injectors (from the folks Cruiser directed me to), new brake lines, and new leaf packs.

I replaced my fuel and air filter about four months ago and was going to replace my plugs and cap and rotor but inspected them only to find they were in perfect condition. I have new plugs and an OEM cap and rotor but I'll hold on to them until they're needed.

Five of the six plug wires are in perfect condition, it's just the one (#6) that is having issues. I knew when I pulled it that a new one would be optimal but just can't afford it right now. My temp-fix seems to be working, I drove it a bit this afternoon and there's no sign of the symptoms I was experiencing before.

I like to go big.
LOL!!
Old 04-08-2012, 10:10 AM
CF Veteran

Get in touch with your local members....i'm sure someone has some spare OEM plug wires lying around.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by BotakBeng
Get in touch with your local members....i'm sure someone has some spare OEM plug wires lying around.
When I replaced my wires, I threw out the old ones. Dang I shoulda kept em since i'm not too far from F1.

Search online man! That'll let you find some cheap ones, meanwhile enjoying your temporary fix while it lasts
Old 04-08-2012, 11:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '98

Take a pad and pencil, go out to the Jeep and write down every little thing broken/missing/damaged etc; go to local pull-a-part JY and start pulling items from the list...they will likely charge you for the bigger stuff and let you walk with the odds & ends...here's my list:

item: parts store $: JY $:
front "door keep" $66@ dlr, $3 @ JY
bumper "speed nut" $7 ea @ dlr; freebo @ JY
door panel retainers $4 pk of four; freebo @ JY
rt tail light $70 @ dlr; $10 @ JY
assorted 10mm fender bolts n/a @ parts store; freebo @ JY
vacuum ball n/a @ parts store; freebo @ JY
ashtray n/a @ parts store; freebo @ JY
front wiring harness $442 @ dlr; $18 @ JY

My local u-pull-it JY is happy to bill for a couple of items and let me walk with a pile of assorted goodies that would cost an arm & a leg @ the dealer, I dont recommend just putting them in yer pocket cuz sometimes they will take a closer look, then you're on their ****-list and they'll find a way to charge you for everything, be honest and thay are very forgiving....I bet you could get one plug wire for a buck...

Last edited by Squint; 04-08-2012 at 12:30 PM. Reason: fun
Old 04-08-2012, 11:48 AM
CF Veteran

For right now, my biggest concern is the leaky injector for which there are no easy or inexpensive (to me) solutions. She'll make it to next pay day, I'm sure of it, and I'll do the plug wires and injectors and valve cover gasket and PCV (CCV).
Old 04-08-2012, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by F1Addict
For right now, my biggest concern is the leaky injector for which there are no easy or inexpensive (to me) solutions. She'll make it to next pay day, I'm sure of it, and I'll do the plug wires and injectors and valve cover gasket and PCV (CCV).
Where's it leaking? The body of it?? Or at one of the o-rings? Man, once again I'm an idiot. When I did the 703s swap, I tossed my OEM injectors. They were perfect running condition too. I would have driven it to you and helped you install it too.
Old 04-08-2012, 11:58 AM
CF Veteran

I'm CHEAP.....i'll mostly buy from rockauto, google promo code and you can get another 5% off.

Quick Reply: I think I found it?