Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

I didn't do it, but I have to fix it

Old 02-02-2017, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default I didn't do it, but I have to fix it

So, someone put this junky cold air intake on this 1988 cherokee chief I bought, and has major vacuum issues because of it. I want to bring it back to stock, or if I buy something aftermarket, I'd like it to plug in to all the stock plugs and hoses and things. I've attached pics of my engine bay. The hose coming out of the vacuum canister top left isn't plugged into anything, there's a pcv solenoid bottom right and close up that doesn't have anything coming in or out of it. And the vacuum harnesses front and rear aren't right, obviously, so I need to source parts. Any info would be helpful, do those snorkel kits that are everywhere for the xj have all the plugs in them?

Old 02-02-2017, 09:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

That's what you call a cowl intake. Theyre becoming harder to find
Old 02-02-2017, 10:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

If you want to get rid of it and sell it.. Send me a PM.

Last edited by LACK; 02-02-2017 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992

Hey hey hey. I was first. Just kidding. Have been wanting one for a while but have other things to fix first
Old 02-03-2017, 12:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1994

Originally Posted by Guywitha92
Hey hey hey. I was first. Just kidding. Have been wanting one for a while but have other things to fix first
Haha, I had planned on fabbing up a custom one at some point.

You can have first dibs, ill wait in line.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

Let me jump in that line, I'll take that intake if you want to be rid of it. Put your location in the side bar. I am in the Virginia Beach area. I'll trade my stock air box for your setup. Will also assist in routing the vacuum lines as part of the trade. The air intake is not your issue. Vacuum lines do not attach to the air intake. You do have a mess of vacuum lines there though. I have a 90, so basically the same thing. Mine had vacuum leaks all over also. Screw that vacuum harness, I don't trust them when new. I sized all of the lines and simply ran vacuum hose from point to point, routed along existing lines/hoses/wires.

That canister on the passenger side of the engine against the firewall is the charcoal canister for the fuel evaporative system. You don't need it, it's an emission item. Gasoline expands, we all know that. You must vent it some how. The charcoal canister filters the gas vapors and vents air. That gas trapped in the charcoal is later sucked into the engine when it is running. The canister will go bad over time and people disconnect them. Then the gas vapors are vented to atmosphere. If you don't have emissions testing, you can yank that canister and rip the lines out.

The vacuum item on the drivers fender towards the front is for the EGR valve. If you disconnect the EGR valve it will not function and will not effect how the jeep runs. Another emission control. The EGR valve will not hurt performance when operating correctly. They are easy to troubleshoot and properly repair.

Do your vent controls work? Those are vacuum operated. They connect to a vacuum ball mounted to the backside of the front bumper on the passenger side. Pull a vacuum on the vacuum ball with a hand pump and make sure it will hold 20 lbs. It may be cracked and leaking.

Last bit of advice. Get ahold of a FSM and look up the vacuum diagrams. Run new hoses to each component being retained.
Old 02-03-2017, 05:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Read Cruiser tips. Post 22 should be very helpfull. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cr...153657/index2/

Vacuum lines //www.google.com/search?q=jeep+renix+vacuum+harness&espv=2&biw=1305 &bih=614&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiTjM KJ6_PRAhVHRiYKHTdYDPgQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=IRzZbTcmSHyGK M:
Old 02-03-2017, 07:41 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts

Originally Posted by freegdr
Read Cruiser tips. Post 22 should be very helpfull. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/cr...153657/index2/

Vacuum lines //www.google.com/search?q=jeep+renix+vacuum+harness&espv=2&biw=1305 &bih=614&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiTjM KJ6_PRAhVHRiYKHTdYDPgQ_AUIBygC#imgrc=IRzZbTcmSHyGK M:
General, use my website instead!!!

Way more betterer.
http://cruiser54.com/?p=121
Old 02-03-2017, 09:04 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Very nice intake KEEP IT!
Old 02-03-2017, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Very nice intake KEEP IT!
so it turns out I'm learning more than I imagined. When I put a timing light on it, it's 12 degrees retarded, but I was told that can be because of vacuum issues. I just put a brand new distributor in there, and I was hoping I didn't **** up the timing. Other than that, I'm having trouble figuring out why I'm running and idling so terribly if the air system isn't the issue, I'm trying to figure out what I need plugged in and what I dont. I don't care about emissions, just need a reliable engine.
Old 02-03-2017, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocky1247
so it turns out I'm learning more than I imagined. When I put a timing light on it, it's 12 degrees retarded, but I was told that can be because of vacuum issues. I just put a brand new distributor in there, and I was hoping I didn't **** up the timing. Other than that, I'm having trouble figuring out why I'm running and idling so terribly if the air system isn't the issue, I'm trying to figure out what I need plugged in and what I dont. I don't care about emissions, just need a reliable engine.
It may seem tedious but you really should take a look at the http://cruiser54.com website and preform tips 1-5, they can make a world of difference.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:14 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000 and 1998

my 98 was similar. i pulled stock stuff off one in the local junk yard.

stock eliminates one more mystery!!
Old 02-03-2017, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by PNWjeeper
It may seem tedious but you really should take a look at the http://cruiser54.com website and preform tips 1-5, they can make a world of difference.
oh I don't mind tedious one bit, as long as there's an answer somewhere. It's just that some root for stock and some are Gung hoe about aftermarket stuff. I'll take a walk through all of those tips, but I'd still like to figure out what I need to make the motor happy. If this says anything, it was from Colorado, and now it's in cali, and I chopped off the straight catless exhaust on there and put a 50 state legal cat on to reduce all the fumes. I know I restricted the flow, does this change howyour motor will run or should the ecu automatically adjust for something like that. I've already unplugged the battery to reset it. So? I don't mind retiming it if that's a concern.
Old 02-04-2017, 05:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

oh I don't mind tedious one bit, as long as there's an answer somewhere. It's just that some root for stock and some are Gung hoe about aftermarket stuff. I'll take a walk through all of those tips, but I'd still like to figure out what I need to make the motor happy. If this says anything, it was from Colorado, and now it's in cali, and I chopped off the straight catless exhaust on there and put a 50 state legal cat on to reduce all the fumes. I know I restricted the flow, does this change howyour motor will run or should the ecu automatically adjust for something like that. I've already unplugged the battery to reset it. So? I don't mind retiming it if that's a concern.
Timings non adjustable. Id keep intake also . Cruiser tips are tried and true. Purchse factory vacuum harness and bet theres a big change.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:50 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts

You need to go to my website and see tip 12 and 22........