Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How to tell if track bar is bad

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default How to tell if track bar is bad

Hey. I'm new to the forum and relatively new to Jeeps but not to working on cars. I have a 1998 XJ. I've been doing an build and the other day I went to the shop for an alignment. I was told my track bar was bad so I ordered a OEM one just to suffice until I do my lift. I've been trying to get if off for hours with no luck. It is STUCK but I realized that the bushing seem good and the bar has very little give even at the end. I was under the impression that that's the signs of a good track bar.

I am only suspicious because the shop also told me i needed new calipers, rotors and pad and my brakes are almost new.....

Is there a specific test to see if the track bar is bad?

Thanks
Old 08-18-2016, 09:05 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993

Originally Posted by Turtle_XJ
Hey. I'm new to the forum and relatively new to Jeeps but not to working on cars. I have a 1998 XJ. I've been doing an build and the other day I went to the shop for an alignment. I was told my track bar was bad so I ordered a OEM one just to suffice until I do my lift. I've been trying to get if off for hours with no luck. It is STUCK but I realized that the bushing seem good and the bar has very little give even at the end. I was under the impression that that's the signs of a good track bar. I am only suspicious because the shop also told me i needed new calipers, rotors and pad and my brakes are almost new..... Is there a specific test to see if the track bar is bad? Thanks
how does the bushing and the rubber boot look? There shouldn't be ANY play at all. If t has even just a little bit, then that would actually be a lot with the weight of the vehicle pushing against it. Try turning the jeep on and have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth and look for play/movement in the trackbar, that's probably the best way to check. Also, what part is stuck that you are having trouble with?
Old 08-18-2016, 09:13 PM

Both the bushing and rubber boot look fine. Ill have to wait till tomorrow to get someone to help me. It is very very little movement and only at the rod end.

The castle nut and the bolt into the opposite bracket are extremely stuck. I have used PB blaster several times over the past few days and a long breaker bar. Neither will budge. I'm hesitant to use heat now unless I know the track bar is bad.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Both the bushing and rubber boot look fine. Ill have to wait till tomorrow to get someone to help me. It is very very little movement and only at the rod end. The castle nut and the bolt into the opposite bracket are extremely stuck. I have used PB blaster several times over the past few days and a long breaker bar. Neither will budge. I'm hesitant to use heat now unless I know the track bar is bad.
the nut should be attached to a little tab that sticks out, so u shouldn't have to hold it with a wrench while u break the bolt loose. But u could try heating the nut to see if that helps break I loose.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:37 PM

Originally Posted by 93XJeeper
the nut should be attached to a little tab that sticks out, so u shouldn't have to hold it with a wrench while u break the bolt loose. But u could try heating the nut to see if that helps break I loose.
I know, i've tried a long breaker bar and it wont budge. I just didn't want to destroy the bushing with heat in case the track bar is still good.

If it moves at all is it no good or going out?
Old 08-18-2016, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Track bars are cheap, replace it.

If you cannot break the nut free you can take off the entire bracket.........easier to work on or cut off.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:10 PM
CF Veteran

I know, i've tried a long breaker bar and it wont budge. I just didn't want to destroy the bushing with heat in case the track bar is still good. If it moves at all is it no good or going out?
if the bushing is worn out and has play then yea, but you could get by with just replacing the bushing instead of buying an entire no track bar. Also, when you say the top end with the ball joint moves a little, what do u mean, yea it will twist around on the ball joint, but it should be loose.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Jeep Driver
Track bars are cheap, replace it.

If you cannot break the nut free you can take off the entire bracket.........easier to work on or cut off.
I cant break the other end either. I guess ill just use heat
Old 08-18-2016, 10:14 PM

if the bushing is worn out and has play then yea, but you could get by with just replacing the bushing instead of buying an entire no track bar. Also, when you say the top end with the ball joint moves a little, what do u mean, yea it will twist around on the ball joint, but it should be loose.
the bar and ball joint will move a little when i tug on it.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:24 PM
CF Veteran

the bar and ball joint will move a little when i tug on it.
sounds like it's bad to me. Try the steering trick with ur friend tomorrow,and let me know what happens.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:26 PM

sounds like it's bad to me. Try the steering trick with ur friend tomorrow,and let me know what happens.
Will do. Thank you
Old 08-19-2016, 07:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Toyota 2.4l diesel non-turbo

Make sure all six bolts that hold the bracket to the
frame are good and tight.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:33 PM

Well, I got the bolt free from the nut on the frame end but the bolt is stuck in the bracket and track bar. I guess its hung up or has pressure on it, it will turn but can be removed. So then I tried to remove the tie rod end bracket from the frame but even with heat, PB blaster and 2' breaker bar I couldn't get a single bolt broken loose. I don't know what to do next.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:04 PM
CF Veteran

Well, I got the bolt free from the nut on the frame end but the bolt is stuck in the bracket and track bar. I guess its hung up or has pressure on it, it will turn but can be removed. So then I tried to remove the tie rod end bracket from the frame but even with heat, PB blaster and 2' breaker bar I couldn't get a single bolt broken loose. I don't know what to do next.
sounds to me like the the bolt is seized to the sleeve inside the bushing. You'll probably just have to cut both bolts to remove the old trackbar and install the new bar with new bolts.
Old 08-22-2016, 10:34 PM

sounds to me like the the bolt is seized to the sleeve inside the bushing. You'll probably just have to cut both bolts to remove the old trackbar and install the new bar with new bolts.
Could you please explain how to? This and cooling issues is stopping my project dead. Should i just grind the one end off and cut the tie rod?

Quick Reply: How to tell if track bar is bad