Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 06-07-2010, 09:43 PM   #1

View surfinggstud's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee
Default how to take off the front bumper of a 96

I just bought some lights for the front bumper for my jeep and i cant get the front bumper off for the life of me...can someone please help ? im sure its simple but i have big hands and there are parts that i have no idea how people get there hands in to secure bolts on one side to untighten the other. please video or something help
surfinggstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 11:37 PM   #2
CF Veteran

View smtippin's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

My advice is to not remove the front bumper. When I installed my walmart driving lights to the factory pre-drilled holes on my 96, I was able to slip a socket on a huge extension straight up behind the bumper. I just dropped the nut in the socket and they were mounted in no more than 5 minutes.

If you pull the front bumper, you've got a bit of work ahead of you.

s
smtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:03 AM   #3

View 99rockies's Photo Album My Photos
1992, 1996 Cherokee

Im not sure on the endcaps mine didnt have any but after there off its 3 bolts per side, looking from the side they are the farthest in front. I can get a pic in daytime if you need.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:05 AM   #4
Honorary Moderator

View 96_xj's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

^^ the above posted is right. There is 3- 15mm bolts per side. You just kinda have to lay on your back and you will spot them.

SITE RULES
Project Black Sky
1996 2-door
4.0 - AX-15 - NP231 - 35x12.5" Baja Claws - lots of engine add ons - and lots of goodies (but not enough...)
Homemade Roof Rack
custom 3/8" front bumper

hard work and respect get you nowhere in todays life... what a shame maybe someday society will become less selfish

selfless over selfish
96_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:28 AM   #5
CF Veteran

View mwdouglas's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Cherokee

i found when removing the bumper bolts if you remove the 2 in the front on both side it makes it easier the bumper will rotate down then you can put a jack under it and remove the last bolt on each side thats what i did with mine when i took it off to put my homebrew bumper on
Old 06-08-2010, 10:00 AM   #6

View surfinggstud's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

to the very first response post, i tried for awhile last night laying on my back to get in behind the bumper but having a socket in the bumper and my hand i cant move my hand its to freaken big..but i guess ill have to try and extension today and hopefully it will work. i really dont want to take off the front bumper...but i also kinda want to know so when i get a knew aftermarket one im gonna need to know how to take it off, but i guess ill figure that one out later..
surfinggstud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #7

View Eli Lilly's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Cherokee

I was removing the bumper off my parts XJ last week and there's two ways to do it. One is to remove the bumper from the brackets, which is a total pain. The other is to remove the brackets with the bumper. Once the bumper is off you can remove the brackets really easy.

-E
Eli Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:09 AM   #8
CF Veteran

View smtippin's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfinggstud View Post
to the very first response post, i tried for awhile last night laying on my back to get in behind the bumper but having a socket in the bumper and my hand i cant move my hand its to freaken big..but i guess ill have to try and extension today and hopefully it will work. i really dont want to take off the front bumper...but i also kinda want to know so when i get a knew aftermarket one im gonna need to know how to take it off, but i guess ill figure that one out later..
I'm telling you man, it was super easy. Just use an 18-24" extension. Drop the nut in the socket and spend a minute or two tightening and backing out until it seats right and then tighten away. I couldn't have been on my back for more than 5-10 minutes tops.

s
smtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 02:09 AM

submit to reddit