Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 08-01-2011, 02:50 PM   #1

View kissthis66's Photo Album My Photos
1994 Cherokee
Default How to replace a clutch?

I tried to search the forums but with no luck so now I ask for help.

Anyone know of any good DIY/How To.. for replacing a clutch?

As this will be my first time doing a clutch replacement, would like to have some step by steps if possible. If not I will be runnin down to the local auto parts store to pick up a Chilton book soon.

94 Cherokee 4x4 4.0

Thanks CF!!!
kissthis66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 05:55 PM   #2
CF Veteran

View OttawaXJ's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via MSN to OttawaXJ Send a message via Skype™ to OttawaXJ

Haynes/Chilton is your best bet to be honest.
91 YJ Frame off rebuild, stock -- SOLD
OttawaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:00 PM   #3
CF Veteran

View 1991Jeep_Man's Photo Album My Photos
1991 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaXJ View Post
x2

Knowledge is power, unless it's in the hands of an idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustedback View Post
A thread that is sucking in its last breath. And there it goes, it just released its bowels.
E-fan conversions, gauge faces, and all other sorts of crazy from start to finish here ---> http://www.cherokeeforum.com/f46/my-...37/#post608212
1991Jeep_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 06:02 PM   #4
Honorary Moderator

View 96_xj's Photo Album My Photos
1996 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by OttawaXJ View Post
x3 that is how i did mine.

SITE RULES
Project Black Sky
1996 2-door
4.0 - AX-15 - NP231 - 35x12.5" Baja Claws - lots of engine add ons - and lots of goodies (but not enough...)
Homemade Roof Rack
custom 3/8" front bumper

hard work and respect get you nowhere in todays life... what a shame maybe someday society will become less selfish

selfless over selfish
96_xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:15 PM   #5
::CF Moderator::

View Gee oh Dee's Photo Album My Photos
1987 Cherokee

I buy a Haynes/Chilton for every vehicle I own. You should see the library I've got going.
Gee oh Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:10 AM   #6

1994 Cherokee

hahahaha thanks guys :P
Old 08-03-2011, 02:14 AM   #7

View Duncan1800's Photo Album My Photos
1989 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gee oh Dee View Post

I buy a Haynes/Chilton for every vehicle I own. You should see the library I've got going.
Agreed. I still have them for vehicles I no longer own, to boot. And got one for the girlfriend's Honda, just to be safe.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:24 AM   #8

View Squid's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

First thing I do when I buy a used car is get the Haynes manual
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #9
::CF Moderator::

View Gee oh Dee's Photo Album My Photos
1987 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan1800 View Post
Agreed. I still have them for vehicles I no longer own, to boot. And got one for the girlfriend's Honda, just to be safe.
That's what I meant by library. I figure if I owned the vehicle once, chances are I may own another at one point. And if not, someone I know may and probably will.
Gee oh Dee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #10

View Bladeforger's Photo Album My Photos
99 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissthis66 View Post
I tried to search the forums but with no luck so now I ask for help.

Anyone know of any good DIY/How To.. for replacing a clutch?

As this will be my first time doing a clutch replacement, would like to have some step by steps if possible. If not I will be runnin down to the local auto parts store to pick up a Chilton book soon.

94 Cherokee 4x4 4.0

Thanks CF!!!
Did this last weekend... so here's some good stuff for ya.

First up is an 18-page doc on the AX15, which you probably have, and has a good layout of the steps.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...ZoRJag&cad=rja

This looooong link is also the 7th or so thing that pops up if you google "AX15 pdf". Make sure that's what you have. There were other transmissions used, too. If yours is the AX15, reading material will be found in other places because they went in some of the TJs, etc. Okay here's a quote from http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/ax15.htm

Quote:
The Aisin Warner AX15 transmission is a very successful, medium-duty, standard shift, five-speed transmission. It was introduced in the 1988 (mid-year) YJ Wrangler and XJ / MJ Cherokee / Comanche Jeeps, and found in 1988-1999 Jeep XJ, YJ & TJ models. Its only year in the ZJ Grand Cherokee was 1993, and only with the six-cylinder.
So it's most likely yours is an AX15.

The top two bolts on the bell housing might be E-12, which is an inverted torx. Stick your fingers down there from the engine compartment and feel. If it feels like a torx wrench sticking out, go getcha an E-12.

Don't jack around with resurfacing the flywheel, new ones are about $70 at Advance Auto and about $80 at Car Quest. YMMV depending on where you can shop in your neck of the woods.

Be sure to have 1/2 impact wrench for removing the flywheel.

You will have to remove the console anyway, so do it from the start. Then remove the shifter. If the plastic ring at the bottom of the shifter ball has turned to paste, it's part number 4864226X and has a number on it that says A22064. Put the shifter back on and order the part--Morris 4x4 has it for about 10 bucks incl shipping. How do you get it on past the pins? Boil some water and drop it in. It'll soften up enough to bend.

If you're doing this in a driveway, you just drop the tranny and bell housing down on the jack and slide it back toward the rear end. You don't actually have to roll it out from under the Jeep. Then pull the clutch and pressure plate. Impact off the flywheel. Pull the pilot bushing or cut it out with a Dremel cut-off wheel. New one goes with o-ring out and a little grease inside... only a little... New flywheel goes on ONE way--i.e. the holes don't all line up symetrically. Keep turning it until you see all holes line up okay. Wipe it off with alcohol or acetone because you probably got a smudge of grease on it. Clutch and pressure plate go on next, using the alignment tool and tighten good. Throwout bearing next. The throwout bearing fits on an arm that goes ONE way--the part number goes on the opposite end from the slave cylinder.

You might have to drop the crossmember and THEN drop the rest of the exhaust. That makes it easier to maneuver around. Otherwise you'll have trouble getting the bell housing over the exhaust pipe on the way out. Whether it's on the ground or hooked to the engine it's going to be in the way. Don't forget to block the engine up because once the tranny comes off the engine is ***-heavy and only the motor mounts hold it. Floor jack and wood under oil pan works fine.

If you have them, loooong extensions and a 3/8 impact are the way to get the top and side bell housing bolts loose. And a wiggle joint on the top ones. And a helper to line it up with fingers first.

Don't forget to drain the oil in the trans before you pull out the drive shaft. Don't forget to mark the u-joint yoke on the rear member and on the shaft so you can line them back up. Secure the u-joint caps so the bearings don't fall out. Don't drop anything on your face; it hurts. Don't do this alone; four hands help. Don't mess up the slave cylinder. Those are best replaced as a package already all connected, and they are about $200. I'm going to replace mine in the Fall. If you want it to survive, wire tie it carefully out of the way. Remember all the normal safety rules like safety glasses and no concrete blocks and to use wheel chocks, etc. You still can't replace eyes so two is a lifetime supply.

I know I left something out, but what the heck. The books won't tell you all this crap. My Haynes arrived Saturday and the job was about done before the postman came by... Amazon was slow. Past experience worked fine for me. And the pdf I linked. And the literature that came with the clutch, which had the bit about the throwout bearing arm going only one way.

Good luck!!!

Keith
99 XJ
Bladeforger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 12:04 AM   #11
Seasoned Member

View crystalion's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

Alot of cars/trucks have a bushing in the flywheel that should be changed -the nose of the input shaft of the tranny fits in it. You MUST align the the clutch and pressure plate exactly or your trans will not slip in. They sell clutch alignment tools which are basically a reproduction of the input shaft of the trans ( without the splines). At my old trans shop we had input shafts that we took out of all the major models of transmissions and used those ( they work so much better because of the splines)-you may be able to get a trans shop to let u borrow one but that may be a longshot. I had a few trannys that we didn't have one for and we just made a rough one out of a steel blank on a lathe.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #12

1994 Cherokee

Keith - THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2011, 11:45 AM   #13
Seasoned Member

View The JRod's Photo Album My Photos
Cherokee

So you get it all fixed up then? I think my Slave cylinder just caved on me!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:43 PM   #14

1994 Cherokee

swapped it out this past weekend. soooo much better!!! found a great link with pictures ( http://borntourist.com/gallery2/v/mods/clutch/ ) afterwards, it seemed to get worse until i figured out the exhaust started bumping up against the cross member. fixed that as well and now its right as rain.
Old 09-27-2011, 12:52 PM   #15
CF Veteran

View captainofiron's Photo Album My Photos
1991 Cherokee

did you take off the trans and the TC as a unit, or separate them?

Im always curious about other peoples "procedures"

97 Pontiac Trans Am WS-6
, LT1 factory 4bolt freak, M6,
91 Jeep Cherokee 2 Door, 4X4 NP 231 TC, AX15 M5, independence suspension
68 Pontiac Firebird 400, YC 400, 670 heads M4
65 Chevrolet Impala SS, 327 V8, M20 M4 12 bolt 3.73 gears

captainofiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 12:52 PM

submit to reddit