Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 12-20-2008, 08:21 PM   #1
CF Veteran

View BuckB91XJ's Photo Album My Photos
1987 Cherokee
Default How to remove ignition key/lock cylinder

I have my steering column all torn apart in preparation to replace my wiper/washer switch in my 91 XJ. The whole upper portion of the steering column is ready to come off except I believe the igntion key/lock cylinder is keeping it hooked on in some way. PLEASE PLEASE somebody tell me how to get this key/lock cylinder to slide out of the steering column.Thanks in advance from a VERY frustrated BuckB91XJ.
Brian "Buck" Buchanan, U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer (RETIRED) - 87 XJ Laredo - 8.5" Rusty's Offroad/Rough Country lift, D30 trussed up and D44 high clearance shock mounts, 4.56's, Aussies and Disc Brakes front and rear, JCR Offroad Belly Skid Plate and Stage 2 Rock Sliders, Off Road Fab Winch Bumper and Quarter panel Guards, Liberal Front Wheel Well trimming and Rear Wheel Well Cut N Fold, 35" Goodyear MTR with Kevlars, Cobra CB and AW4 First Gear Lock Crawl switch, SYE, Stock XJ driveshafts front and rear and Milemarker SEC8000 Winch.

91 XJ Sport (Old Gray Jeep) - Layed to Rest (04-01-13)
87 XJ Laredo (Ole Red) - (My Jeep)
87 XJ Base (The Boys Jeep)
96 XJ Country (The Daughters Jeep)
08 Dodge Charger R/T (The Wifes Ride)
04 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison (tow rig)
BuckB91XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:25 PM   #2
The CF Moderator

View XJ Stryker's Photo Album My Photos
87 Wagoneer
Send a message via Yahoo to XJ Stryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckB91XJ View Post
I have my steering column all torn apart in preparation to replace my wiper/washer switch in my 91 XJ. The whole upper portion of the steering column is ready to come off except I believe the igntion key/lock cylinder is keeping it hooked on in some way. PLEASE PLEASE somebody tell me how to get this key/lock cylinder to slide out of the steering column.Thanks in advance from a VERY frustrated BuckB91XJ.

I didn't pre read it but this should help ya

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...n+lock+removal

Check out my Waggy build here!

XJ Stryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:55 PM   #3
CF Veteran

1987 Cherokee

Thank you so much for the quick reply, Styker. The guy in the story had an 88 XJ and like everything else between the AMC XJs and Mopar XJs, the guts of my steering column in my 91 are a little different. That 5/16 bolt that held in the cylinder in the 88 in the story is not there inside mine. There must be another way the later model cylinders are held in. My steering column is also a tilt column, I don't know if that makes a difference.
Brian "Buck" Buchanan, U.S. Navy Chief Petty Officer (RETIRED) - 87 XJ Laredo - 8.5" Rusty's Offroad/Rough Country lift, D30 trussed up and D44 high clearance shock mounts, 4.56's, Aussies and Disc Brakes front and rear, JCR Offroad Belly Skid Plate and Stage 2 Rock Sliders, Off Road Fab Winch Bumper and Quarter panel Guards, Liberal Front Wheel Well trimming and Rear Wheel Well Cut N Fold, 35" Goodyear MTR with Kevlars, Cobra CB and AW4 First Gear Lock Crawl switch, SYE, Stock XJ driveshafts front and rear and Milemarker SEC8000 Winch.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:07 PM   #4
The CF Moderator

87 Wagoneer

I own 87's and havnt took mine apart yet so there is much more I can do to help ya there.

I suggest posting up a pic or something on NAXJA you may get a lil more help there.

warning they like it if you search there site for a few hours prior to posting lol. But that was a quick search I ran over there and found that thread there may be more threads similiar to that one just take a look. NAXJA is a great resourse also for us Jeepers.

Old 12-21-2008, 03:53 PM   #5
CF Veteran

1987 Cherokee

Thanks again, Stryker. I got thing apart last night and got wiper/washer switched replaced. You did help me more than you know, though. Right where that 5/16 bolt is in the early XJs is a small slot with a snap ring inside of it that goes around the lock cylinder. I just took my smallest flat tip screw driver and pressed the tip in on that ring and I was able to slide the cylinder right out. Thanks again for your help. I went out last night after the surgery was over and tried my new wiper/washer switch out in a snow storm. It worked great and I had a blast.

Old 12-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #6
The CF Moderator

87 Wagoneer

Hey no problem anytime. My windshield wiper switch is messed up also I can't spray the windshield so I may need your help soon enough on it lol.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
CF Veteran

1987 Cherokee

The good news is that the wiper/washer switch itself appears to be one thing they didn't change between the the AMC XJs and the Mopar XJs. The donor switch I put in my 91 came out of an 88 at the local junkyard. Whenever you get ready to replace that switch just drop me a message with any problems you have. That thread you got off of NAXJA that you sent me will walk you right through tearing apart your steering column. The one pictured in the write up is an 88 which should be identical your 87s. I saw one of the XJ type Waggys on the road the other day. It even had the fake wood paneling on it. The more I see those things, the more I think I would like to find one for myself. I like the quad headlight look.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:43 PM

submit to reddit