Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How much will it cost to replace radiator

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default How much will it cost to replace radiator

Im looking at a 1992 cherokee and the radiator needs replacing, i was wundering how much it will cost to replace it labor included.

and is there anyway i would be able to replace it with no experience and just normal old hand tools

thanks
Old 10-25-2009, 03:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by leo3000
Im looking at a 1992 cherokee and the radiator needs replacing, i was wundering how much it will cost to replace it labor included.

and is there anyway i would be able to replace it with no experience and just normal old hand tools

thanks
you can do it!! its extremely easy, just go to a junk yard and get one from there for like 30 or 40 bucks. It is a pretty simple job for the most part, the only problem I ran into is I had to take the AC condensor off of the radiator before I could remove my radiator.

Someone else correct me if I am wrong, but when I took mine off there was a transmission fluid or power steering fluid line going into my radiator that I had to splice onto the new radiator. It might be different on your 92 though.

other than that it is a pretty easy job, good luck if you try it
Old 10-25-2009, 03:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 287 Likes on 237 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

your better off buying one brand new (roughly $100 +/-) if you buy from a junk yard they could give you one thats been sitting for 5 yrs or just sitting too long period and it won't cool as well cuz of the fluid sitting so long
Old 10-25-2009, 03:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0l

how much would it cost to have some one do it? (i wanna know for negotiation purposes)
Old 10-25-2009, 04:03 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

cant help you there, I havent taken anything to a mechanic for years now lol
Old 10-25-2009, 04:24 PM

I have a 1992 xj and priced for one with plastic end tanks since the tech said the metal one were only for postal. The price of Rads are 170.00. You should consider changing your water pump and all hoses if needed, plus the thermostat. Mine leaked for three weeks due to some hoses and bad thermo. I agree you should consider going new. When I got my xj the overflow bottle had three inches of rust in the bottom and I had to flush it out. I used a lot of rad coolant in mine and the tech said to not even worry about flushing it right now. The rad is very important and I would go new. Mine is no longer leaking so I held off getting it replaced so that I can get the fluids and gears checked with new plugs and wires. Good luck. I had to take it to the tech after probs and found the rad opening had a bump on the inner seal area. There are sites that can explain how to do it yourself. I do know that the tech charges a bit for the labor, but where I live I cant work on it myself on bigger projects right now. Check out this link. http://cpwstore.carpartswholesale.com
Old 10-25-2009, 04:25 PM

Same for mine. I am keeping a close eye on my steering pump and noticed a line there yesterday.
Old 10-25-2009, 07:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0L I6

Here's my "story".
Mine was leaking on both sides.
So I called local mechanics, the guys I used to fix my prev vw all the time. Asked what the cost to replace the radiator, and it was around $380, including the new radiator and labour, not included any new hoses and what not if need to be replaced upon inspection.

So I cheap-ed out on that, and said to myself, ..."what the heck... I'll try DIY it" for fun of challenge, sort of.
So I've read some on-line about "how to", then read Haynes (which never gives you any "special details, btw )... and it looked like I may be able to handle it. And as I've already replaced the heater control valve, I felt like I've got some "experience" with coling system...lol.
So , the work which would "normally" take an hour of two, I guess, in my case ended up - I've spent the whole day ..huh huh, but I had complications.
I went to Advanced Auto Parts first, and got their $129 radiator (made in mexico), looked kind of ok, plastic sideds. So when it came to the point of installing the radiator in, I've found out that the damn thing would not fit. That radiator had a "special" removable "L-shape" connector for lower transmission line quick fitting, and that thing is rather too long , there's no enough clearance there to slide the radiator all the way down to its place.
So I ended up bringing that radiator back, had to explain what was wrong. Got cash back. Advanced did not have any other radiators in stock.
So I went to Autozone (few blocks away, thankfully), and got their "version" of the radiator that was made in China. Looked actually much nicer that the mexican one, also plasic sides though. It was $139 and "guarantied" for life ..well, that's what they say, anyway
So I am rushing back. Installing that second one, it fits right in fine and everything looks cool untill I got the coolant in and all that. Start the engine, air out, closed the cap, running the engine more, and then I see pretty bad leak right from under the radiator cap "neck". WTF!!!!!!!
Also the radiator cap neck is very close to air cleaner unit, no space there.
So I am going mad.
Draining the radiator, taking it out, getting ready to bring it back to autozone ..., so when I removed the radiator, only then I've noticed that this radiator actually has another screwing in large plug, located right under the cap. So that thing was not tight, and that's was why it was leaking. So I tighten it up, and ..LOL...try again, placing the radiator back in, filling the coolant and all that. Start the engine, and then it looks everything pretty cool.
BUT, a bit later after some driving, I've noticed some drop=drop leak from the drain plug "unit". I thought I've tightened that one fine. But I guess not. NOW!!!! here's the thing, guys, that lil' plastic drain plug really SUCKS. It's like a toy type thingy, really. I was afraid to tighten it as it seems too easy to break just with your hand.
Anyhow, finally I've tightened the drain plug a bit more, and so far, everything is good.
I only shall see how will this radiator hold over winter.

So, I saved couple hundred bucks, I guess, and I had a load of "fun"
One thing I must add, though, that the procedure of replacing radiator is actually much easier than it seems to be first. One has to do it once to know, though.
If you do, make sure you have all the needed tools and you get the RIGHT radiator and check it all through before installing to avoid PITA situations

good luck
Old 10-25-2009, 09:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 287 Likes on 237 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

jeez there R.L. Stine way to make a novel out of a short story lmao...

swapping a radiator out really isn't that bad, just a basic set of tools some rather large slip joint pliers (for the stock tube clamps and btw replace those with a threading style tube clamp if you remove) and an afternoon and you'll be good
Old 10-26-2009, 10:01 PM

yep. the rad are specific to the year of xj. The one I was looking at was 170 and guaranteed for life. I would consider doing it myself but since I had problems before with everything else I would consider waiting on it myself. The other fluids and checking the gears, changing out the tranny fluid and filter is a must. Plus my plugs and wires are stuck on and I am not about to try and take them off without a puller. thanks.
Old 10-27-2009, 12:33 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4L

Dont pay good money for someone to install it for you. Do it yourself! Its really easy. Do you have another vehocle you can drive while you do the work?