Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How hot before I get worried?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default How hot before I get worried?

I have a 2001 xj. I was traveling in the 95 plus temp Friday and had no issues till I got to the end of my 6 hour trip and I heard a finding sound under hood and noticed my temperature was getting a bit over the 210 mark.

It was the water pump going bad. Luckily I found a shop at 5pm on Friday willing to replace it for me and I'm greatful didn't have the tools to do it myself.

It ran fine yesterday until I almost got to my destination and noticed the temp had once again gone above 210 luckily I was able to stop. I have noticed this one other time when driving in 95plus Temps in heavy traffic in dallas. The fans are working fine now a new water pump also. No water in oil no exhaust in coolant. No leaks fluid full even in reservoir I had replaced the thermostat earlier this year when some one said it may be why heater isn't running. Which now I know it's the cable to the switch under the dash that is the problem. AC freezes you out so that's not an issue either. Should I change the thermostat again and go with the cooler temp one? The fluid is new just replaced it with the water pump mostly but had radiator flushed in may

But slightly over 210 is that really a problem? Or should I look at something else?