Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

How the heck do you pull the motor in one of these things??

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default How the heck do you pull the motor in one of these things??

Long story short, I bought a '97 XJ with what turned out to be a cracked block. Located another motor and took a couple days off this week to swap them out. Everything went fairly well until I got to the two top bolts holding the trans to the block. They look like some kind of small 6-point star things? The two lower ones were just normal large bolts. And on top of that I could not get to them. I finally lowered the motor hoping to get a better shot at them, but still couldn't do it. So I decided to unbolt the crossmember and drop it more with the trans. That's when things went to hell, one of the crossmember bolts broke in my frame. Now how the f am I supposed to fix that? And on top of it all, I still couldn't get to these two bolts! Anybody know the secret to pulling these final two bolts so I can get this motor out? And I'm not sure what to do about the broken bolt, it's not like I can drill and tap another hole, the "frame" is sheet metal! And I've never had an easy-out work, all I've ever ended up with is a broken bolt with a broken easy-out.

"Frustrated in Ohio"
Old 09-10-2015, 06:47 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by hogluvr
Long story short, I bought a '97 XJ with what turned out to be a cracked block. Located another motor and took a couple days off this week to swap them out. Everything went fairly well until I got to the two top bolts holding the trans to the block. They look like some kind of small 6-point star things? The two lower ones were just normal large bolts. And on top of that I could not get to them. I finally lowered the motor hoping to get a better shot at them, but still couldn't do it. So I decided to unbolt the crossmember and drop it more with the trans. That's when things went to hell, one of the crossmember bolts broke in my frame. Now how the f am I supposed to fix that? And on top of it all, I still couldn't get to these two bolts! Anybody know the secret to pulling these final two bolts so I can get this motor out? And I'm not sure what to do about the broken bolt, it's not like I can drill and tap another hole, the "frame" is sheet metal! And I've never had an easy-out work, all I've ever ended up with is a broken bolt with a broken easy-out.

"Frustrated in Ohio"
It's an E-12 socket, IIRC...you are on the right path, by lowering the crossmember, once you lower it use a couple of long extensions, with a u-joint or wobble socket on the end before the E12. For the broken bolt, try to drill it out, and use an ez-out, if it doesn't work, drill it out completely, then weld a washer to a new nut, then place it in the hole you drilled out, washer side facing you, and weld in place. Ask me how I know, LOL
Old 09-10-2015, 07:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks man, that's what I had, an E12 socket. So I guess the 70's weren't revisiting me after all!!

I wonder why they did that to begin with? If it had been a regular bolt I think I could have grabbed it from the top with a wrench. Hope that thing isn't torqued down too hard!!

And that's a great idea for fixing the crossmember, guess I'm not the only one with rotten luck!
Old 09-10-2015, 07:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

You can go back in with these bolts. The pic says 1988 - 1996 Parts Catalog, but these bolts are good for up to 2001 as well. The '88-'96 catalogs gave the bolt dimensions, later catalogs did not.

I used these bolts when I R&R'd my motor.

Name:  TRANStoENGINEBOLTS.jpg
Views: 3622
Size:  31.6 KB
Old 09-10-2015, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
You can go back in with these bolts. The pic says 1988 - 1996 Parts Catalog, but these bolts are good for up to 2001 as well. The '88-'96 catalogs gave the bolt dimensions, later catalogs did not.

I used these bolts when I R&R'd my motor.

Excellent advice, if you want to replace them...mine came out with no issue, so I put 'em back in, with no issue...a great alternative though, thanks Ken for great info as always
Old 09-10-2015, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by hogluvr

And that's a great idea for fixing the crossmember, guess I'm not the only one with rotten luck!
LOL...learn to weld folks...then you can fix anything...
Old 09-15-2015, 09:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987

Don't forget the starter bolts. One bolt metric and the other SAE. Keep them straight. Why they used the external torx is beyond crazy. I think the tool makers are in cahoots with the car makers. Just buy another set of sockets all for one set of bolts...LOL.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:15 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,525 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Year: 1990

Always loosen those upper bolts first.