Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Register Photos FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read GarageVendor DirectoryvBLive
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 03-23-2010, 09:00 PM   #1

View rclitedxj's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Cherokee
Default High pinion dana 30 w/ARB?

Is anyone running this setup with stock axle shafts. im contumplating wheather or not i should put and arb in because of my setup. im running 35" km2's and 4.56 gears. i was hearing from a bunch of different threads that i have read that i will break axle shafts 5 minutes into the ride, snap u-joints left and right, and have nothing but problems. on the other hand i have heard that a hp30 is only 10% weaker than a low pinion 44. and evryone says upgrade to a dana44. is this all true, or what. im not heavy on the throttle at all unless it needs just a little more gas to get out. most of the wheeling i do is on-trail with at little mud as possible. and im already locked in the rear. what do you all think.

oh and im planning on upgrading to alloy shafts next spring i just dont have the money for it now.

thanks,
trevor~
rclitedxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:07 PM   #2
CF Veteran

View xjmarc's Photo Album My Photos
97 Cherokee

I ran 35s on my old 30 with stock shafts and a locker and my problems came from the rear axle. The ABS shafts are pretty strong and use the same u-joints as the 44. As with any front axle in a bind (wheels turned fully) under throttle you take a chance of snapping a shaft but the 30 is quite tough. I know tons of people with that set up or simular and seem to do fine. I say wheel it and if you do break down the road go for the chromos.

What I lack in technique I make up for with skinny pedal.

RE short arms with drop brackets, 6" Rusty's TJ coils, RE 4.5" leaves, HD Offroad shackle relos, 2" shackle, D44 with chromos and a Spartan (welded), D60 Hobart locked with chromos, 38" TSL Bias on Eaton Beadlocks front and DIY beadlocks rear, partial cage, lots of rock love and a Warn for when I thought I could but was wrong.
xjmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:10 PM   #3
CF Veteran

View CheapCherokee's Photo Album My Photos
Send a message via AIM to CheapCherokee

you could give it a shot. a guy in my off road group has been running 4.88s with 35s on his ARB HP D30, but i think he has the "super 30" kit.
but he also recently got a stroker, and its still been holding up to all the abuse

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktmracer419 View Post
If you are afraid of trimming, then having a capable rig probably isnt high on your prioroty list
CheapCherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:12 PM   #4

View rclitedxj's Photo Album My Photos
1997 Cherokee

sounds good to me. and thanks, that's what i was looking for. someone with experience with this setup. not just what people have heard.

thanks again
rclitedxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 09:12 PM

submit to reddit
Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech