Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Hi all, new here with project

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 01:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Hi all, new here with project

Hello. Well, after finding a *some* details pertaining to the project I'm about to undertake on this forum, I decided to join. Among the 7 vehicles I own is an '87 Cherokee Chief with the 4.0 Renix and AW4. Good little vehicle, horribly sluggish over 40 MPH, especially when my other 2 drivers are a '78 Dodge Aspen coupe with a 440 and built TF727, and an '87 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z with FM stage II Turbo, CSX stage II PCM, +40 injectors, etc. We won't even talk about how the XJ compares off the line with my 390 HP, 4.11 posi '51 Pick-up. The only one that's slower is the 'deuce, but it has myriad redeeming qualities, such as being able to plow over most anything.

This brings me to my point. It seems a couple of the members here have turbocharged their XJ's, and I'm about to do one such budget build. I'll appreciate any input. This may or may not work out well, as the turbo is not particularly well matched to the engine; it is a Holset HE35 off a 2004 common rail that I acquired for free. I'll probably lock the wastegate closed; I don't expect the little 4.0 will ever move enough air to overboost with this unit. Planning on using FoMoCo 19# 5.0 injectors, running 1 step cooler plugs, and putting a check valve in line to the MAP. The only instrumentation will be a boost gauge and pyrometer.

Since I know you'll all ask, this motor is original with 184k miles. I don't care if I blow it up; I have a no title and body damaged '96 with a solid powertrain at my disposal. The other possible direction is a 5.9 magnum and 45 RE trans. The XJ is already slated for Dana 300 swap and getting fitted with the full width dana 44 and disc braked & spooled 9-1/4 I salvaged from my old powerwagon. It's a pallet for experimentation and this is kind of a "just because" project.

Any and all input is appreciated, and I hope I'm able to contribute a good deal here in the weeks and months to follow.

Last edited by Sixtysixdeuce; 06-02-2009 at 02:09 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 09:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

welcome

and I would go with a 24# injector if you are going to turbocharged it