Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-14-2015, 04:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Problems by Sympton
Print Wikipost

HELP with serpentine belt issue!

Old 04-07-2014, 11:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default HELP with serpentine belt issue!

We are NOT car literate We have a 1998 Cherokee and the fan belt... I guess it is called the serpentine belt... keeps slipping off the pulley that seems to run the radiator fan. It is shredding and getting tangled up in the fan blades. What parts do we need to fix this issue? We have been told to look for the "fan bearings" and the "bracket assembly" but we have NO clue where to find them, or what they really are. Can anyone help us, or point us in the right direction? THANK YOU!!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by AmyandAlex
We are NOT car literate We have a 1998 Cherokee and the fan belt... I guess it is called the serpentine belt... keeps slipping off the pulley that seems to run the radiator fan. It is shredding and getting tangled up in the fan blades. What parts do we need to fix this issue? We have been told to look for the "fan bearings" and the "bracket assembly" but we have NO clue where to find them, or what they really are. Can anyone help us, or point us in the right direction? THANK YOU!!

Here's a video on how to do the belt on a 99 XJ. It's the same on a 98. It sounds like your adjuster pulley may not have been adjusted properly therefore making the belt loose. I've never heard of one just slipping off a pulley for any other reason.

So you'd need to buy a serpentine belt. That's it. It's not a hard job to do. Do you have any mechanical experience at all? I'll see if I can't find a better video with more detail. if you decide to search yourself, any video for a 96 to 2001 should work. 95 and prior has the adjuster on the power steering pump so don't follow those directions.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:59 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

One of the main reasons for a belt to come off is that one of your pulley's is out of alignment. You are going to have to gat a straight edge and make sure that the pulleys are all in alignment. The ones that you really have to look at really close would be the adjustment pulley and the harmonic balancer. The harmonic is made in 2 parts and tend to separate.