Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:54 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting
Print Wikipost

Help with No Dash light or Running lights

Old 06-10-2010, 04:15 PM
sbc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help with No Dash light or Running lights

hello, i have a 1999 cherokee sport, and about a week ago my dash lights stopped working, i recently found out that my running lights also dont work.
i read https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/das...-lights-30419/ that thread, i looked at all the fuses, and bulbs involved, and nothing is blown. i could really use some help if there is anything else i should check please let me know

thanks
Old 06-10-2010, 05:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Did you just install a new stereo yourself?
Old 06-10-2010, 08:48 PM

Hate to hijack the OPS thread but I have a similar problem (no dash backlights). I did install a head unit myself. What could have caused this after 4 months of the head unit being installed? I'm assuming nothing related to the head unit. Also, I noticed that if i place the headlight switch just right between parking lights and headlights I can get the dash lights to turn on with the parking lights on. Also, just between off and the parking light position I can get the backlights to come on and the parking lights to come on. I'm thinking it's a switch but I can't be sure. the dashlights DO OPERATE just fine, but they don't come on at the correct places in the switch. Anything else this could be? OP, hopefully someone helps us both at the same time :P
Old 06-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L

Check the wire harness that runs to the headlights. Does yours have factory fog lights? Mine shorted out and that burned the harness and also no head lights and no dash lights. Take the black plastic off and inspect the wires.
Old 06-10-2010, 11:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

did you change out the hatch speakers recently? if you did chances are you put together two connectors that look like theyre supposed to be together, but they arent. shorts the circuit out and pops the fuse
Old 12-05-2010, 04:02 PM

Default No Parking Lights, Dash Lights, or Dome Light

I have a '87 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 and just recently found out that all 4 parking lights are out, the dash lights are out, and the dome light is out. The floor lights and the headlights work. Headlight fuse is good, replaced headlight switch and still nothing. I also replaced the wiring harness for the headlight switch and still nothing. Any suggestions??
Old 01-09-2011, 06:00 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: inline 6

Originally Posted by Bustedback
Did you just install a new stereo yourself?
im having the same problems as the op but i did install a new h/u myself what happened?
Old 02-28-2011, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by ejeep
I have a '87 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 and just recently found out that all 4 parking lights are out, the dash lights are out, and the dome light is out. The floor lights and the headlights work. Headlight fuse is good, replaced headlight switch and still nothing. I also replaced the wiring harness for the headlight switch and still nothing. Any suggestions??
im having the same problem right now, I just replaced the head light switch 15 min ago and still no buzzer of tail lights or dash lights my dd needs help, im not good with electrical parts in cars.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:52 PM
sbc

it turned out to be some bad connection in the stereo i had just installed, i fiddled around with it and tried a new fuse and everything worked out for me. good luck!
Old 03-01-2011, 05:24 PM

still nothing for me, problem for me is the fuse does not blow, if I pull out the switch just right the dash lights will come one, new switch no blown fuses so im completly lost
Old 03-01-2011, 05:35 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 H.O

trace the wire goin to the fuse box and see if it has power if it does not have power then the fuse panel could be bad. also check if any grounds are broken or frayed
Old 03-01-2011, 05:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by Di3soft
still nothing for me, problem for me is the fuse does not blow, if I pull out the switch just right the dash lights will come one, new switch no blown fuses so im completly lost
what switch?
Old 03-02-2011, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
what switch?

The head light switch, I removed my trailer harness completely, If a bulb is burnt out it was cause a fuse to blow correct? cause none of my fuses are blown.
Old 03-02-2011, 09:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L (242 CID) I6 MPI (High Output)

check all power and grounds going to the units for shorts. if the wires rub together for awhile the plastic will ware off and the wires will touch. or u could have a bad fusable link. coulda got water on/ in it and burned it.
The following users liked this post:
Bencrockett24 (11-30-2023)
Old 03-02-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by DKallday6593
check all power and grounds going to the units for shorts. if the wires rub together for awhile the plastic will ware off and the wires will touch. or u could have a bad fusable link. coulda got water on/ in it and burned it.

Kind of an off question but can some one provide the schematic for the wiring diagram I have my Haynes some where, was moving so its in a box somewhere.

And where is the fusable link? I dont know about that part.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help with No Dash light or Running lights