Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help! License Plate Light Disconected

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 04:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Help! License Plate Light Disconected

Found out the other day that my license plate light is out. I guess I bought it that way. I don't do a lot of night driving so I never noticed unill now. So how do I reconnect it?

Here's some pics:

There's the License Plate Light wires.
Help! License Plate Light Disconected-dscn0965.jpg
No speakers. Great.
Help! License Plate Light Disconected-dscn0966.jpg

Help! License Plate Light Disconected-dscn0967.jpg
No idea what's supposed to be connected here.
Help! License Plate Light Disconected-dscn0971.jpg
Or here.
Help! License Plate Light Disconected-dscn0973.jpg
I thought it would be simple to reconnect it, but I'm clueless.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

This connector in the center is for the license plate light.

Name:  Wolfeman01.jpg
Views: 358
Size:  30.6 KB

This one on the drivers side is also for the license plate, but only if you have the factory tire carrier and the plate mounts on the drivers side of the hatch. DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT connect this one at the same time as the center connector. It will create a ground fault circuit in the system and will blow the fuse for the tail lights, gauge lights, and brake lights every time you pull the headlight switch.

Name:  Wolfeman03.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  29.7 KB

There is a similar connector on the passenger side in your pics that I believe is for the rear window defroster, if so equipped.

It appears that your factory speaker connections have been cut off the allow for the installation of aftermarket speakers. Which the previous owner apperantly took with them.
Attached Images  
Old 09-20-2009, 07:12 PM

Year: 2001

winston427...sound like your talking from experience with the "ground fault circuit" issue LOL
Old 09-20-2009, 08:10 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by RICZR2
winston427...sound like your talking from experience with the "ground fault circuit" issue LOL

Umm, yeah you could say that. I found that connector loose and wondered why. So I hooked it up and did not think about it. Since I don't drive mine daily, it was about 2 weeks before I got back in it. Turned on the headlights and "pop", I heard the fuse fry. Took me 3 days to figure out the problem after reading every thread on this forum about fuses blowing until I found a thread with the same issue and how they solved the problem. Of course not before I disassembled the entire dash, front wiring harness, and half of the rear harness looking for cut wires or shorts.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by winston427
This connector in the center is for the license plate light.

Attachment 6246

This one on the drivers side is also for the license plate, but only if you have the factory tire carrier and the plate mounts on the drivers side of the hatch. DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT connect this one at the same time as the center connector. It will create a ground fault circuit in the system and will blow the fuse for the tail lights, gauge lights, and brake lights every time you pull the headlight switch.

Attachment 6245

There is a similar connector on the passenger side in your pics that I believe is for the rear window defroster, if so equipped.

It appears that your factory speaker connections have been cut off the allow for the installation of aftermarket speakers. Which the previous owner apperantly took with them.
Thanks Winston for the reply, but if you could clarify a little bit more where the license plate light connector should go I would appriciate it. I'm a little dense sometimes. You're saying that I shouldn't connect it to the one on the driver's side?

Also I don't have a rear window defroster. Wonder why that's there then?
And I guess I'll be getting some new speakers in the near future.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:01 PM
CF Veteran

Off the top of my head I can not point out exactly what plugs into what. I am out of town until tommorrow evening but will pull my hatch cover off and take pics for you. My 91 connections will most likely be different than your 94, so for comparison purposes I will go over to bigomudders house and pull the hatch cover off of his 95 as well.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Originally Posted by WolfeMan
Also I don't have a rear window defroster. Wonder why that's there then?
And I guess I'll be getting some new speakers in the near future.

The XJ is wired for most all available options. This is pretty standard. My 93 is the same way, though it is a base model it still has the connections for the rear wiper and defrost.. it is also wired for 6 speakers though only came with 2. Also under your dask you will find alot of loose connectors. These are for the switches for the various options (rear wiper, defrost, etc). This makes it easier if you decide to upgrade.

The rear speakers should be 4.25", which are the same as the doors.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by winston427
Off the top of my head I can not point out exactly what plugs into what. I am out of town until tommorrow evening but will pull my hatch cover off and take pics for you. My 91 connections will most likely be different than your 94, so for comparison purposes I will go over to bigomudders house and pull the hatch cover off of his 95 as well.
Take your time, I'm not in a hurry. And I appreciate the amount of effort you're willing to give for someone you don't even know. Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by prerunner1982
The XJ is wired for most all available options. This is pretty standard. My 93 is the same way, though it is a base model it still has the connections for the rear wiper and defrost.. it is also wired for 6 speakers though only came with 2. Also under your dask you will find alot of loose connectors. These are for the switches for the various options (rear wiper, defrost, etc). This makes it easier if you decide to upgrade.

The rear speakers should be 4.25", which are the same as the doors.
Is putting in new speakers as easy as just plugging them in or is there more work involved?
Old 09-21-2009, 04:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Originally Posted by WolfeMan
Is putting in new speakers as easy as just plugging them in or is there more work involved?
Yeah should be. I would imagine they are already wired into the back of the stereo. If not that could cause some extra work but mine were already wired up. I had to change the speaker connection (appears you are already halfway there since you have just wires) and used wood screws to install speakers.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by prerunner1982
Yeah should be. I would imagine they are already wired into the back of the stereo. If not that could cause some extra work but mine were already wired up. I had to change the speaker connection (appears you are already halfway there since you have just wires) and used wood screws to install speakers.
Good. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:07 PM

Default Problem solved.

I went to the jy today and got a new wire harness. So I'm good now. Turns out the connectors for my lisence plate light were for a different wire harness. I have no idea what somebody was trying to do back there.

Thanks winston427, for your help and I won't be needing any pictures, but thanks again for offering.

Help! License Plate Light Disconected-light.jpg

Help! License Plate Light Disconected-light-2.jpg

Future Plans...

Rear speakers from the jy. Will they work? We shall see.
Help! License Plate Light Disconected-speakers.jpg

Rear windsheild wiper. This one might be hard.
Name:  wiper.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  95.9 KB

It was a good day at the jy. I was suprised to find two 2 door xjs. I may get some more things from them later.