Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help! Headlights wont turn off.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Help! Headlights wont turn off.

1992 xj with permaheadlight.

I have never had anything ever short on before, always off. I have unplugged almost everything under the dash and the darn things are still on. The only way to turn them off is the big 40 amp under the hood.

Anyone ever have this happen? Is there a faulty delay module? Can it be bypassed? My Haynes is useless on the subject.

Note: Jeep starts, runs,drives. Pull headlamp lever and regular headlight brightness kicks in. High beams work as well. All other electrical seems to be functioning normally. This just occured after driving home from work the other day.

This is my DD so I would entertain experience and guesses at this point.

Thanks
-Jared
Old 04-28-2010, 05:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0

I have a '91 limited; It came with a feature "courtesy lights". Where the lights stay on a few minutes, after the car is shut off. (ie. dome light stays on awhile after you get out. The headlights stay on for awhile also, if you don't shut them off first) There's relays controlling this function. (Not really fond of this feature, because it always makes me second guess. If I physically left them on, or not.) Try to find a elect. schematic. (Chilton or Hayes). Or check your local library for one. In my city, you can access the library reference dept. with your computer. kind of handy. But I'm pretty sure your relay is sticking. (And needs replacement). Go to your local auto parts store, tell them what's wrong. Maybe they can show you, what it looks like, and where it's located. Might be worth a shot.............JMO!
Old 04-28-2010, 05:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 I6

yup, sounds like the delayed lights for walking up to your door and unlocking the house. our zj had it and it took a while to get used to
Old 04-28-2010, 08:23 AM

Year: 2000

x2 my 2000 does the same thing. if you shut your rig down and then turn the lights off no luck. if you turn them off and then shut it down mine will stay off. wait a minute or two and see if they will go off by themselves.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:18 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999

x3 My 89 did it, my fathers 96, my friends 01 and my 99 does it too. you have to turn the lights off before you shut the truck off. If you turn the truck off before you turn the lights off and they dont turn off, just turn the key to the on position and then off and the lights should go off.

Although i think my 99 will eventually kill the lights but my 89 the lights would stay on until the battery was dead, learned that the hard way, twice.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:43 AM

Year: 1992

It might even be your headlight switch, but that's just a guess because I had the opposite problem of the headlights not turning on. I had the misfortune of driving home with only parking lights after working evening turn when both headlights decided not to turn on. I knew the chances of both lights burning out at the same time were slim, but I replaced both headlights anyway to no avail. After checking fuses and wiring, I ended up replacing the actual switch and they worked again. Just another possible idea to throw out there.
Old 04-28-2010, 07:37 PM

So I am completly aware of the courtesy light thing. I really did mess with me when I first go tthe jeep and still does sometimes but I think a coupleof hours is more than courteous.

Any idea where said "relay" is? I have lotsa dash apart trying to figure this one out and am getting tired of driving my camping truck to work. 460 uses some gas...

My Haynes has nothing on the delay relay...
Old 04-29-2010, 08:53 PM

Being in Canada my jeep has daytime running lights. They are on. Gonna unplug the DRL relay/module and should solve the problem
Old 04-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by Jared
So I am completly aware of the courtesy light thing. I really did mess with me when I first go tthe jeep and still does sometimes but I think a coupleof hours is more than courteous.

Any idea where said "relay" is? I have lotsa dash apart trying to figure this one out and am getting tired of driving my camping truck to work. 460 uses some gas...

My Haynes has nothing on the delay relay...
The day time running light module has shorted internally.
Old 04-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

daytime running light module is located on the right side fender shield near the rear of the engine compartment, unplug it , if the lights go out, replace it.
Old 04-29-2010, 10:30 PM

DRL found and unplugged and removed and smashed. Now I feel better. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-11-2012, 06:24 PM

Year: 1993

any way I can bypass the module with a toggle switch so I can activate the headlights when I need them? I do not care that the daytime running lights are on or not but I need headlights at night! I do not want to pay $250.00 for that module!
Old 06-12-2012, 05:32 PM

I know this is an old thread but I am hoping someone would know the answer to my question
Old 06-13-2012, 02:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by baseman
any way I can bypass the module with a toggle switch so I can activate the headlights when I need them? I do not care that the daytime running lights are on or not but I need headlights at night! I do not want to pay $250.00 for that module!

Remove it and jumper the plug. instructions here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1008851
Old 06-13-2012, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
Remove it and jumper the plug. instructions here:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1008851
I will give it a try this weekend and thanks for the help

Quick Reply: Help! Headlights wont turn off.