Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 10:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Help!!!

I've got a 97 XJ and I think it's having a hard time getting fuel. The fuel pump seems to work and the jeep turns over but just won't fire up!! I was going up a dirt road when it began to sputter. I jumped the fuel relay and heard the pump making noise just not sure if it's the right kinda noise!! And info would be appreciated. I'm stuck on this mountain as we speak!!
Old 08-15-2015, 11:05 AM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

You need to check fuel pressure at the rail. It is really simple to do on an XJ.
Old 08-15-2015, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by 9krpmrx8
You need to check fuel pressure at the rail. It is really simple to do on an XJ.
I've checked the pressure release valve and fuel does come out
Old 08-15-2015, 08:03 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Landau27
I've checked the pressure release valve and fuel does come out

Right, but you need to know if you are getting adequate pressure to the fuel injectors. Air, fuel, and fire. If you are getting air and adequate fuel pressure, then next up is ignition. Any check engine lights? Also check for any disconnected vacuum lines and check that all lines are not clogged.
Old 08-15-2015, 08:32 PM

[QUOTE=9krpmrx8;3127756]Right, but you need to know if you are getting adequate pressure to the fuel injectors. Air, fuel, and fire. If you are getting air and adequate fuel pressure, then next up is ignition. Any check engine lights? Also check for any disconnected vacuum lines and check that all lines are not clogged

No check engine lights or any other warning lights are on. Pulled the first plug out and checked for spark and there wasn't any. We just laid a ratchet on the valve cover and tried to get a spark(not to sure if that was the right method) my buddy put his finger into the spark plug hole and he said it didn't get fuel on it when I cranked it over. we checked every plug and hose and all looks good. The last time this happen I was on the freeway for about 45min and went to a gas station and turned it off and it wouldn't start again. I played around with the fuel relay(took it out and put it back in) and it started right up. Just put a new relay in and it still wouldn't start.Sorry if this **** doesn't make any sense. I'm new to all this jeep stuff. Thanks again for all your help