Jeep Cherokee Forum

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Cherokee Forum!
Welcome to Cherokee Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

submit to reddit

Old 10-08-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

View jfats100's Photo Album My Photos
2001 Cherokee
Default Heater Core Replacement

So I'm positive my heater core is leaking - smoke out the vents, foggy windows, and the puddle of coolant on passenger side floor.
I'm considering replacing it myself and would like some opinions.
I read this write-up on dash removal and evidently you do not have to evacuate the AC. Could someone confirm that for me?
I've read that I might also want to replace the evaporator - but this will require evacuating the AC... does anyone have a good write-up on how to do this?
And for anyone that's done this before, can you provide any insight or 'heads-up' info? I know it's going to be a PITA, but I'm willing to put in the time to save the money. My XJ is 01.

Thanks,
John
jfats100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 11:00 PM   #2
CF Veteran

View Bustedback's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Grand Cherokee

Take it to an auto repair shop that does A/C work and have them evacuate the system, be sure to record how much was in the system, and then have them recharge the system when you're done with the heater core. It will cost you some money, but it will be worth it.
Steering stabilizers will not cure or cause death wobble, they only mask the real problem that is causing death wobble. Oil pumps do not make pressure, they create flow. Bearing clearence and restrictions make pressure. It's the crank sensor.
Bustedback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 03:03 AM   #3

View squirrelnw's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfats100 View Post
So I'm positive my heater core is leaking - smoke out the vents, foggy windows, and the puddle of coolant on passenger side floor.
I'm considering replacing it myself and would like some opinions.
I read this write-up on dash removal and evidently you do not have to evacuate the AC. Could someone confirm that for me?
I've read that I might also want to replace the evaporator - but this will require evacuating the AC... does anyone have a good write-up on how to do this?
And for anyone that's done this before, can you provide any insight or 'heads-up' info? I know it's going to be a PITA, but I'm willing to put in the time to save the money. My XJ is 01.

Thanks,
John
where do you live, I had mine done by a guy local to me here, whole job for cheap on the labor side. like 3 hrs labor. he was done and out the door. very happy camper here and he did it without breaking anything under the dash, you know the stuff, those little plastic things.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:39 AM   #4

2001 Cherokee

Thanks guys. I guess I'll get a shop to discharge the AC and then proceed with the rest myself.

I bought a $63 heater core from Advance Auto Parts. and seeing the the OEM core is like $500, I'm a little worried. Does anyone have good/bad experience with these cheap replacement cores??

Also, has anyone replaced their heater core without discharging the AC?

Last edited by jfats100; 10-09-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 02:50 AM   #5

View squirrelnw's Photo Album My Photos
2000 Cherokee

Quote:
Thanks guys. I guess I'll get a shop to discharge the AC and then proceed with the rest myself.

I bought a $63 heater core from Advance Auto Parts. and seeing the the OEM core is like $500, I'm a little worried. Does anyone have good/bad experience with these cheap replacement cores??

Also, has anyone replaced their heater core without discharging the AC?
jfats, where abouts do you live. I got a guy who did mine for around 300.00 labor and didnt break anything in the process. had it done in just under three hours. very good. also did my a/c repairs so I figured it was all a good deal for me. had to have it back for next day at work. washington state tacoma area for this guy, he will come to your house if you are local.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:05 AM   #6

2001 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrelnw View Post
jfats, where abouts do you live. I got a guy who did mine for around 300.00 labor and didnt break anything in the process. had it done in just under three hours. very good. also did my a/c repairs so I figured it was all a good deal for me. had to have it back for next day at work. washington state tacoma area for this guy, he will come to your house if you are local.
Wow squirrel, you found a rare breed there my friend. I live in Colorado....
Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 AM   #7

View Jace's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

The AC system is seperat from the heating system. One uses refrigerant and the other uses coolant. I don't think you will have to touch the AC at all for a heater core change. I will know soon enough, because the description you have (fog, and coolant on floor) are the same as mine. I plan on tackling the job this week/weekend. Good Luck!
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:21 AM   #8
CF Veteran

View Bustedback's Photo Album My Photos
1995 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jace View Post
The AC system is seperat from the heating system. One uses refrigerant and the other uses coolant. I don't think you will have to touch the AC at all for a heater core change. I will know soon enough, because the description you have (fog, and coolant on floor) are the same as mine. I plan on tackling the job this week/weekend. Good Luck!
To pull the HVAC box from the vehicle the A/C must be evacuated because the evaporator has to be disconnected at the firewall.
Steering stabilizers will not cure or cause death wobble, they only mask the real problem that is causing death wobble. Oil pumps do not make pressure, they create flow. Bearing clearence and restrictions make pressure. It's the crank sensor.
Bustedback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:38 PM   #9
CF Veteran

View ol"blue's Photo Album My Photos
2004 Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustedback View Post
To pull the HVAC box from the vehicle the A/C must be evacuated because the evaporator has to be disconnected at the firewall.
X2. Don't attempt this until the AC has has been evacuated. Also rent/buy the quick disconnect tools to separate the lines if you don't have them.

"...Never Use Post Count as A Knowledge Gauge." Willys55

CBW Member#97

If no answer, ask here>
www.CHEROKEETECH.com

RIP Carroll Shelby
http://www.carrollshelbyfoundation.org/
http://carrollshelbyfoundation.com/

If you're not breaking parts you're not making enough power!!!
"I NEED MORE TRACTION, NOT MORE BOOST"

ol"blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #10

2001 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ol"blue View Post
X2. Don't attempt this until the AC has has been evacuated. Also rent/buy the quick disconnect tools to separate the lines if you don't have them.
Yep. I think I've accepted the fact that I have to get the AC evacuated.

Do you know what size the AC lines are in the '01? I plan to buy the quick disconnect tools. Thanks.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #11

2001 Cherokee

Just wanted to update this thread since I see many others asking about this.

I went ahead and ripped out the dash and replaced the heater core, ac evaporator, and blower motor.

For the people that said you don't have to get your AC discharged or you don't have to remove the entire dash... you must be magicians!

Even if you're only replacing the heater core, you have to discharge the AC in order to remove the heater box.

Take the time to do it right: Have a shop discharge the AC. Remove all the dash panels and pull the whole dash out of the way. Remove the heater box, and replace all the parts (no sense in doing this again). Be sure to wrap the heater core and ac evaporator with weather stripping to keep them from rattling. Take care in putting things back without pinching wires or leaving loose wires to rattle.

The 3 speed bumps I hit were: removing the nuts from the firewall that secure the heater box, re-assembling the heater box (the top did not want to line up correctly), and fitting the heater box back into position (getting those studs through the firewall was tricky).

This job took me 14 hours. I got quotes from 3 shops, the lowest was $1400. My cost was $625 - that includes ac discharge & recharge, and garage rental for a full day (since I live in an apartment complex).

If you're looking into doing this, feel free to pm me - I'd be glad to share what I learned.

Cheers!

Last edited by jfats100; 10-17-2012 at 07:44 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #12
CF Veteran

View alsxj's Photo Album My Photos
1990 Cherokee

So u used the foam weatherstripping for between the box and the Heatercore?
alsxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2012, 08:01 PM   #13
CF Veteran

View djb383's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

Quote:
.......I went ahead and ripped out the dash and replaced the heater core, ac evaporator, and blower motor.......
U r miles ahead by replacing all 3 at once. Good job.....u da man.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #14

2001 Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsxj View Post
So u used the foam weatherstripping for between the box and the Heatercore?
Indeed. 3/16" thick, 3/8" wide. double sided sticky. I put two strips (side by side) around the heater core before placing it back in the box.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #15

View Jace's Photo Album My Photos
1998 Cherokee

Thanks, jfats100. I mentioned earlier that he/she didn't have to discharge AC. I was wrong! I've done a couple heater cores...just not on the cherokee. I thought I did, but nope, I haven't. My guess is that, when I finally get in there to do mine, I would've seen it needs to be discharged.
Jace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2012, 07:53 AM

submit to reddit

Go Back   Jeep Cherokee Forum > Technical Discussion > OEM Cherokee Tech