Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Headlights not working!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 03:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Headlights not working!?

I just bought a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD. However, the headlights and rearlights don't work. Brake lights work fine. Brights work fine, but no heads/rears. And the dims/markers don't show on the console, so I can't see the speedometer or anything at night time. Any ideas? Thanks a bunch.

<3 Jeeps
Old 03-26-2011, 03:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Engine: 4.7L V8

Sounds like the headlight switch is bad to me.
And Welcome to CF.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.7L

Originally Posted by ol"blue
Sounds like the headlight switch is bad to me.
And Welcome to CF.
X2 - headlight switch
Old 03-26-2011, 05:53 PM

Model: Cherokee
Default Q

Just asking, but couldn't that also be a simple fuse?
Old 03-26-2011, 05:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.7L

Nah
Old 03-26-2011, 07:06 PM

Well, I tried checking the switch, but can't seem to access it. The dash won't budge. Maybe the headlights are burned out? And the rears? All 4? What are the odds?
Old 03-26-2011, 10:18 PM

Bump...

I asked a mechanic with 42 years experience and this is the email he sent me:

"of course check ALL the fuses in all the fuse boxes first. if that doesn't do it, replace the headlight switch first and pray it's not in the body control module."

The fuses appear to be fine. He says to replace the headlight switch. Is this even possible? The switch seems to work for the brights but not regular lights.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:26 PM

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by mlyon83
Bump...

I asked a mechanic with 42 years experience and this is the email he sent me:

"of course check ALL the fuses in all the fuse boxes first. if that doesn't do it, replace the headlight switch first and pray it's not in the body control module."

The fuses appear to be fine. He says to replace the headlight switch. Is this even possible? The switch seems to work for the brights but not regular lights.
Could be wiring issues. I had a blinker wire go bad because of corrosion. And seeing all of your cars wiring issues, I'm putting all of my bets on that one. Hope you have a multimeter.....

Sent using CherokeeFM
Old 03-26-2011, 10:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

It's your headlite switch.
Been thru the meltdown, got the tshirt, don't want to go on that ride again. Get new switch dealer or Napa, etc. Disconnect the battery. Need to poke into hole in bottom rear of the switch body with a straightened paper clip to release the rod, can pull out the rod with the **** on. Exposes the jam nut to undo the switch from dash. Now the contortionist in you needs to snake out the switch reaching under, up and around the dash, there are braces in there just to make the task more frustrating. Once you get it in view the wiring can be unplugged. Make a drawing or take digital pictures so you can reassemble all the same way. Plug in your new switch, hook you battery and test your system. Disconnect the battery again and fish the new switch back into the nest, jam nut, stick the rod back in, it will click seated again. Reconnect battery and check it out again. Next prime lighting gremlim can be the dimmer switch on the lower steering column. Been thru a couple of those too. I keep a new switch of each in stock.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by Uhrinator
Could be wiring issues. I had a blinker wire go bad because of corrosion. And seeing all of your cars wiring issues, I'm putting all of my bets on that one. Hope you have a multimeter.....

Sent using CherokeeFM
You're probably right.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by peep
It's your headlite switch.
Been thru the meltdown, got the tshirt, don't want to go on that ride again. Get new switch dealer or Napa, etc. Disconnect the battery. Need to poke into hole in bottom rear of the switch body with a straightened paper clip to release the rod, can pull out the rod with the **** on. Exposes the jam nut to undo the switch from dash. Now the contortionist in you needs to snake out the switch reaching under, up and around the dash, there are braces in there just to make the task more frustrating. Once you get it in view the wiring can be unplugged. Make a drawing or take digital pictures so you can reassemble all the same way. Plug in your new switch, hook you battery and test your system. Disconnect the battery again and fish the new switch back into the nest, jam nut, stick the rod back in, it will click seated again. Reconnect battery and check it out again. Next prime lighting gremlim can be the dimmer switch on the lower steering column. Been thru a couple of those too. I keep a new switch of each in stock.
Jesus christ! That's a buttload of work, but I'm up for the challenge. Not too sure what the hell you entirely said, but I'll start taking pictures of all the steps and try to understand what you wrote. It probably is the switch, 'eh? If it were the control module, the AC, brights and other things wouldn't work I assume? I'll look into new switches and installation. Thanks.
Old 03-26-2011, 10:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

this should helphttp://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service
Old 03-26-2011, 11:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 L 6 Renix

It will be the switch, got a 95ZJ ourselves, the wiring is actually in great shape. (especially compared to my XJ) Thing like a switch, well they do wear out. Just tough to access. Do some google on it also. More info the better.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:14 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: HO 4.0

Originally Posted by tayman
Definitely go. They finally started building good obstacles there now.
yeah I saw a video of the new obstacle looks intense. I'm still open open, and 3.5" of lift (for now) so it might be a little much for me right now. next big upgrade will for sure be the steering then maybe an Aussie locker or something of the sort. I have RE long arms sitting in my garage just need tranny x member/mounting brackets. either gunna buy the Clayton one or have a local guy fab me up something like it